First few Darksteel cards revealed

R

Rooser

The collossus is perhaps one ofthe best creatures of that size, but's going to be really hard to actually use it well. You can't reanimate it y'know, what with the shuffling deal. You can do other things, but you're most likely gong to have to cast it regular style. Anything that costs 11 has a huge drawback: It costs 11.

N

Nightstalkers

Memnarch - 7
Artifact Creature - Wizard Legend (R)
1UU: Target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
3U: Gain control of target artifact. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"In the blur between metal and flesh, Memnarch found madness."
4/5
7 colorless mana? That seems cheesy for a 4/5 creature. But Colossus costs 6 and is a 4/5 regenerater only and doesn't have the gain control of artifact thing. and since everything is a permanent you can gain control of anything because of the artifact ability.

Nightstalker Lazarus

I

Istanbul

Mother of Bob.

Eater of Days is just like that. Turn one, Island. Turn two, Island, Silver Myr. Turn three, Island, Eater of Days.

"You have two turns to find an answer. DRAW WELL."

T

train

I like the greaves/fireshriek/ stifle...

But Istanbul made a good point... shatter... deconstruct...

R

Rooser

Well there went the neighborhood. And that other modular guy seems messed up too .. kind puts Atog out of business.

A

Apollo

Eh, I think the Dervish was only good because it was pro-black, and you'd side it in sometimes way back in the day... this guy isn't too impressive.

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Apollo
Eh, I think the Dervish was only good because it was pro-black, and you'd side it in sometimes way back in the day... this guy isn't too impressive.
What makes this guy so good is the modular ability. When he dies, all of his strength is passed over to another artifact creature.

Not only do I like the idea, but you can do some pretty cool combat tricks with modular and sac-critter effects like Goblin Bombarment, Slobad, etc.

Me: "I'll attack with my 5/5 Arcbound Slith and my 2/2 Lodestone Myr"
Evil Guy: "Chump-block the Slith"
Me: "Shrapnel Blast the Slith, do 5 to you, move the 5 +1/+1 counters to the Myr, take 12"

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Mikeymike
What makes this guy so good is the modular ability. When he dies, all of his strength is passed over to another artifact creature.

Not only do I like the idea, but you can do some pretty cool combat tricks with modular and sac-critter effects like Goblin Bombarment, Slobad, etc.

Me: "I'll attack with my 5/5 Arcbound Slith and my 2/2 Lodestone Myr"
Evil Guy: "Chump-block the Slith"
Me: "Shrapnel Blast the Slith, do 5 to you, move the 5 +1/+1 counters to the Myr, take 12"
My point exactly.

Nightstalker Exterra

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's an expensive creature removal for all colors... I guess it'd have to be since it's an artifact :)

R

Reverend Love

Sucks, too expensive. 9 To remove one creature? F you very much.... (not directed at you spidey)

....*digs around white card pile*..ooh yea here it is...ooh this one too..and this one...

SWORD TO PLOWSHARES!
EXILE!
WING SHARDS!

...wait...*searches through black binder*...do I really have too?

Thanks but no thanks WoTC.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, four of it is a one-time cost (the casting cost), plus it allows non-white colors such as green or blue to kill creatures, of which they normally can't do...

T

train

I think you have to look at it from a Mana-producing deck's standpoint...

In trying to have a variety or pre-built decks around for play - for when I move up to Maryland!!!... I built an artifact based deck - and with the mana capabilities, I'd run it...

1 Scorched Ruins and 2 urza's lands tapping remove creatures - sound cool to my artifact deck...

"Shatterstorm and meltdown do not however...";)

R

Reverend Love

Spidey
Yea but it takes a total investment of 9 mana before you can wax the first critter....9 mana. That's a lot bro.

---------------------------------------------------------

Of course there's always exceptions, however when stacked up against creature removal currently running in Type 2, it just doesn't add up well and Type 1 and Extended..let's not even go there. The only two colors which might think about running this, blue and green really have better alternatives in their respective fields of expertise. If I was running mono green I'd much rather play a 6-8 CC fatty then this. In a case where I was rolling with blue, Fatty Flier, Bounce and Creature stealing are more appealing possibilities.

Here's an example:

If your deck contains White, Black or Red your not even going to consider this card regardless of format. Why pay 9 when Terminate, StP, the Edicts, Lightning Bolt, Exile, Path of Peace and so so many more are available?

Now if your Blue or Green Heartseeker might be a little appealing. Both are considered weak in the creature control department so Heartseeker just might make it.

Now if you’re blue you've got a world of efficient control cards at your disposal. Control Magic, Treachery, Mana Drain, Counterspell. Tons of answers. While you can't right kill it, you CAN deal with it in some shape or form.

Green however is a little more difficult. Mono green is traditionally some type of pound you in the face horde deck, either with midgets or fatties. So Heartseeker doesn't make too much sense here either. Your win condition is putting creatures on the table, so your mana spending priorities are creatures..not creature control.

Or if your running some crazy mono blue/green combo deck then your entire pile of cards are tuned to getting out that combo...not spending 9 to plink off one creature.

Come on guys let's be real. Faced with all the other alternatives us casual players have would you really run this thing? Again there's going to be exceptions but those cases are few and far between.

This is another example of a really cool idea gone awry by WoTC's sheepish nature. They're so scarred of creating a "potentially" broken card that they'll instead create a poopie card which won't see play.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yea but it takes a total investment of 9 mana before you can wax the first critter....9 mana. That's a lot bro.
Depends how fast the game is going and how quickly you need it. If you need to use it the same turn it comes out, yeah, it's a lot. If you can wait until your next turn, it's really only 5 mana which is what, 5th, 4th turn?

All good points and honestly, if you're playing casual Constructed, yeah, there's better options (although green with its mana producing buddies has an easier time with it - I'd prefer to cast big guys AND a way to clear the board for those big guys to get through). This card's probably best in Limited when you don't have all those options available.

M

Mikeymike

Is it me, or does this thing seem brutal in draft/sealed.

In casual, I will enjoy trying these with Phage, Butcher Orgg, Raven Guildmaster, etc.

Attachments

T

train

I'm going to state my honest opinion on the matter - the reason I love equipment like this, is because the euipment itself is still targettable...

so you just think it's not going to be blocked...

that aside - it would be an extremely strong card...

R

Reverend Love

Now this puppy, ooh yea! Non-targetable AND invisibility! The second I saw this I finally realized the final puzzle in my deck idea had been solved:

X Raven Guild Master
X Scapelexis
X Cephalid Constable
2-3 Fireshriekers
2-3 Cloaks
1-2 Hammers
Lots of bounce
2-3 Fabricate for setup

Train's 100% right about targeting the cloak though. When it does happen I'll be totally caught with my pants down :(