Fifth Dawn Spoiler

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
I

Istanbul

Skizzik can't be successfully Clamped...well, it can, but it's pricey.
How about Jackal Pup?

N

Notepad

What do you mean it can't be clamped? It dies at the end of turn anyway. ;) :D

R

Reverend Love

The Staff is obviously nifty, quite trixie that one is...however I hope I'm not the only one whom feels the staff's artwork is rather generic.

Mr. Golden is pure love. He's coooo.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Looks like more trade binder chaff to me. Unless, as Maro is hinting, there is way to generate LOTS of mana.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Lessee here...(looks closely at Auriok Champion). Nope, no protection from artifacts...in the "artifact" block, no less.

Which means that you will gain 1 life from each artifact baddie before it tears you a new one on the next turn...cool (de-emphasis mine).

More trade chaff.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Elf Joiner - interesting, smells like combo material.

Bringer of the whatever, ya da, ya da - solid card, but the art is awful. It looks like a giant, constipated cockroach.

N

Notepad

I agree with Mr_Pestilence that these preview cards just scream "HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!" and will turn out to be nothing more than binder stuffing.

M

mythosx

all this talk about card advantage and card disadvantage...whatever, when you play burn normal rules dont apply. you roast them good for 4 or 5 turns it dont matter that my hands empty on turn 5 if your at negative 5 life.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I might normally agree, but...

At 4 mana, it won't go off too soon, and you should have an answer for it.

That being said, this could be extremely annoying. Imagine the following scenario:

"Lessee, I've got 5 mana, so I'll cast Bidding, say the 'Magic" word, 'goblins', attack, and extend hand".

"Say, why are tapping 4 mana?"

"What's that? Wrath of Whom?"

"Well, sheeoot"

N

Notepad

They Orrorey is just insane for vintage play. Not tournament, mind you, but in casual it is actually more than worth the cardstock. Those loser Wrath players will never be at the sour end of a political battle now...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I disagree for "vintage"/casual players, with the mana acceleration out, you can get that bad boy out on turn 2 with a Sol Ring, more likely by turn three (heck, turn one with a Mana Vault and Sol Ring). Whether you can take advantage of it so quickly is another matter, but blue will like it since a lot of its card drawing was made into sorceries because of their unbalancing at instant speed.

Opposing decks will definitely need to pack some artifact hate if they don't already :)

O

orgg

I've played the predicessor to the Orrory in Masques block in casual and simi-serious settings.

The use of it is very similar to the 'Cap Removal Paradox' in Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist. You play it, and they take advantage of what is effectivly a wasted turn, OR you play out a good board position without its aid, and it's just making you 'win more.'

Granted, with certain sorceries it'll be good... but unless circumstances are favorable, it's just a 'win more' card.

Also, not having any of the newer cards-- is it just me, or do the washed-out Mana symbols in the text boxes look like utter excrement?

R

rkoelsch

Anyone that doesn't want their Auriok Champions I will take them.