Fifth Dawn Spoiler

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
S

Shiro, Time Devourer

http://cards.mtgnews.com/Find/Spoilers/FD.html

MTGn00.. I mean, News has the 5D spoiler.

Originally posted by MTGn00bs
Spark Elemental
Cost : R
Type : Creature - Elemental
Power : 3/1
Wording : Trample, haste<br> At end of turn, Sacrifice Spark Elemental.
Edition : FD - Fifth Dawn
Rarity : Common
Colour : Red
Mana :
Flavor : <i>Vulshok shamans summon spark elementals to burn paths through thick underbrush - or through goblin salvage squads.</i>
Artist : John Avon
In Sets: FD
They printed a strictly-better Dorami Blast Corps! As a common! :D

The Starlets are coming! The Starlets are coming! ^_____^

:p

Maybe next, they'll print Penitent as an uncommon in one of the Kamigawa sets.

N

Nightstalkers

Meh... I view it as more of a mini version of a Ball Lightning.

Plunge into Darkness sounds like a keeper to me.

On Crucible of Worlds, you have to remove the cards you played from your graveyard from the game after you played them (in the instance of playing instants or sorceries that is)?

D

DeathMaster666

I don't believe so. The Mini-Ball Lightning sounds cool. I can't wait to see the art. I probably want a foil one ^^. Maybe they'll reprint this in 9th to replace Ball Lightning.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
On Crucible of Worlds, you have to remove the cards you played from your graveyard from the game after you played them (in the instance of playing instants or sorceries that is)?
Helps to read the card, NS :D It only lets you play lands

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Meh... I view it as more of a mini version of a Ball Lightning.

Plunge into Darkness sounds like a keeper to me.

The Blast Corps was R, with P/T and abilities identical, and you removed it from the game.

This is better in rarity and restriction than DBC. And that was meant as a Ball Lite as well.

In before...

Vulshok Firebrand 2R

Creature- Human Soldier Barbarian

Uncommon

Haste

Discard a card from your hand: ~ gets +3/+0 until end of turn. At end of turn, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.

Forged by fire, tempered by blood.
1/3

...yo

I wish this was in 5D.

O

orgg

I've voiced my opinions on the 'new ball lightning' elsewhere.

The card is not that great. A first-turn Lightning Bolt is strictly card disadvantage, and this is even worse! The best it can do is get a bad player to kill it with more than one of his creatures, gaining some card advantage in the process...

...first turn bolt to the head just isn't good, and neither is this.

Sadly, so many people don't realize that.

N

Notepad

The elemental is a nice card. Not good on its own--technically a lot worse than a lightning bolt, but it has merits for casual (and just maybe standard) play, because of all the bounties red and artifacts can get from disposable critters. I like the thing. A sure-fire hit for my decks along with Bloodlust or the new Mirrodin version. :D

I

Istanbul

I honestly don't think it's bad at all. Proportionately, it's better than Ball Lightning.

Ball Lightning - 3 mana for 6 damage - Ratio: 2 damage per mana
Spark Elemental - 1 mana for 3 damage - Ratio: 3 damaga per mana

O

orgg

Isty, are you forgetting the card itself?

Ball Lightning is judged as a one-shot direct damage spell.

You pay: One Card and Three Mana for Six Damage.

The new one you pay for the same amount: Two Cards and Two Mana for Six Damage.

To get a measly one red mana, you're throwing away a whole nother card.

As a finisher to the head, it might not matter, but throughout the game, I JUST don't think Small Lightning is worth it.

I

Istanbul

Orgg, you can't judge this as half of a Ball Lightning. Judge it on its own merits.

No, it's not Ball Lightning. It was never meant to be. It's a smaller, not-quite-as-broken version.

N

Nightstalkers

Meh, I say its a nice card to have around.

1.) its a first turn 3 dmg critter

2.) if your opponent doesn't block and kill it, you can always sac it to something else to do direct dmg

3.) 3 mini's (3 mana) = 9 dmg, 1 biggie (3 mana) = 6 dmg

R

Reverend Love

Go ahead and mumble about card advantage when you see this thing in a hardcore burn deck.

4 Spark Elementals
4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecats
4 Lightning Bolts
4 Incinerates

I'd play with this.

R

Reverend Love

Fireblast...how could I have forgotten that one!

4 Spark Elementals
4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecats
4 Lightning Bolts
4 Incinerates
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast

Lots of card disadvantage..but whole heaping loads of PAIN!

N

Notepad

...and Fork! Can never forget Fork!!! And at that point, maybe an Isochron Scepter. ;)

I have a deck that runs like this. With so many disposable critters, Earthquake is a good damage+sweeper card. :D

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

if you're running 4x spark elementals, ball lightnings, and blistering firecats you definetly run 4x Skullclamp, cause bash you for 3,6, or 7 then clamp to draw two cards off of a creature thats going to die anyway is kinda good.

R

Reverend Love

Excellent point! So we'll take powerful cards which normally imply card disadvantage and with one broken card drawer shore up burns usual weakness, of blowing it's wad then running out of tricks.

I also threw in Slith Firewalker as his casting cost fits right in within a Spark Elemental and Ball Lightning..with big poppa blistering firecat being the closer...all of course clampable.

4 Slith Firewalker
4 Spark Elementals
4 Ball Lightning
4 Blistering Firecats
4 Lightning Bolts
4 Incinerates
4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
1 Earthquake
1 Fork
4 Skullclamp
2 Barbarian Ring
20 Mountains

N

Notepad

nedd to up the critter count if you're gonna go with clamp. So, add in 4x Skizzik! ;)