Fifth Dawn- how disappointing

T

train

I think the win conditions add more to the game... and they would be a bore if you got beat by them all the time...

of course, they'd then be the new meta, and things could get really interesting...:)

M

mythosx

The most interesting thing in the latest set for me is walking away with the helm of Kaldera. I can run the three in my voltron deck, but the token it self makes my voltron some what obsolete. Has anyone seen door to nothingness yet? It offers a new dynamic to alternate win conditions.

As of right now I feel like they are pushing mechanics and rule/rule breaking to far and too hard. They need to go back to flavor, story and the basics.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I didn't even like Celestial Convergence that much, but it was a little fun...

I hated Coalition Victory and thought it was the stupidest card ever. Then came Battle of Wits, then came Mindslaver, which wasn't a win condition card, but another terrible idea instead, but then along came Darksteel Reactor, which was pretty sad, but Door to Nothingness is just beyond any stupidity I would have expected back in the days of Coalition Victory...

Bah, I digress. I agree with Istanbul on this crap, except the part about Timmies and Johnnies and whatnot. I don't really feel inclined to group magic players into Wizard's very own made up categories...

N

Notepad

The categories are totally a sign of them having no clue who the hell we are anymore. Rather than think of cool ideas and how they can interact in cool ways, they use these categories as the criteria for quota math.

"Oh, we need six Timmy rares in this set, and at least ten Timmy Uncommon/commons. So let's make a lot of big fat junk with sh***y casting costs."

"Good idea, Mark!"

Yeah, that's how it goes. Its how OLS block was designed. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, you guys are a bunch of conservatives! :) I wish more people were here to get a better range of opinions.

I like the new stuff and ideas. I haven't had a chance to play with them really, but I like having the option if I wanted to.

They need to go back to flavor, story and the basics
What exactly is the "basics"? The "flavor"? The "story"? I think Legions was almost as "basic" as they come, being all creatures. Yet I hear (from here) a lot of people didn't like it.

I guess only the big sites like StarCity or WOTC would have a good representation of opinions, anyone know if they're talking about this and how people feel?

N

Notepad

No, Spidey, you cannot get a good spectrum anywhere except everywhere. Yes, you'd have to read all the sites to see a spectrum.

mtg.com--WotC's own insider PR bulls*** site.

Starcity--Pros and semi-pros who think they're top s***

Brainburst--Elitist pros

PoD--Scrubs and quasi-pros who wish to be at Brainburst or Star City.

CPA--Casual goofballs :D

See, we do fit into the grand equation. ;)

T

train

I don't think there's anything wrong with any new cards - except the ones with Blue mana symbols in the casting cost, or in an activated ability's cost...

T

train

unfortunately...

:D

I really think they could go friend-color- sets and be okay...

Like WGR, or UBR, that sort of stuff...

where the triangle of colors caused a lot of untity and chaos at the same time...;)

M

mythosx

A good example of flavor and story would be in my opinion the mirage block. The didn't try to break too many rules too fast. It's like a glut in the system. Too many new mechanics thrown out too fast pushing too many boundries. Madness, flashback, discard, graveyard mechnics all went together and was great in the oddessey block. Mirrordumb, Dorksteal, and 5th pawn push too many boundries with too few cards to fully flesh out ideas. Serum powder is a key example. Only one card dealing with mulligan. Why bother? Just for the sake of messing with that one aspect of the game?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess we have a small section of opinions here, with me on one side and most of you on the other :)

There were about two mechanics in the Mirage block (three if you count the CIP ability, which didn't show up until Visions) - flanking and phasing. Phasing I believe turned out to be too difficult to "do", for some reason (it didn't get updated for 6th rules for the longest time), so that basically left flanking... which really was a creature ability, not a "spell" ability.

If I'm judging and remembering it correctly, I bet most people would think the Mirage block was too simple (which may be what you're looking for anyway). Kinda just above Fallen Empires and Homelands, which really didn't have any "mechanics" (maybe tokens for Fallen Empires).

Unfortunately, I haven't played with the Mirrodin block cards enough to definitively say I like them or not. Especially the Darksteel (and now 5th Dawn) cards. But off my head, I can't see anything wrong with Serum Powder - I don't think you want to mess too much with "future game" cards. Same with Mindslaver and taking control of your opponent's turns. I see them akin to Time Walk or Time Vault - you have one card dealing with taking another turn that's fairly powerful, but you don't want to mess with it in the same card expansion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, personally I liked the old cards that made real-world connections like Library of Alexandria and Nebuchadnezzar...

But the completely original stuff they contrived was interesting too. They had some cool characters like Kaervek, Zur, Volrath, Urza, Karn, etc...

But after a while, the story part of the game really degenerated. Well, it basically ended and was started over...

I can completely understand the part about losing the story. Flavor though, is a sort of vague term that gets thrown around a lot. There is something to this, but I think it ties in with the "story."

As far as basics goes, I dunno...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking about it, I have to agree about the way the story has gone since Tempest, when they tried to keep it as a long, consistent thread. Before, WOTC "jumped around" and landed expansions in certain eras (well, I guess jumped forward in time) and left the "in between" for the imagination (until and if they filled it with backstory?). But once they tried to keep it continuous, the whole "story aura" seemed to have lost something...

T

train

Maybe they should have a "renaissance"... and not the crappy sets previously released...

M

mythosx

What i liked about mirage and visions were the combiners....chimeras, Spitting drake+Vischu drake= Viashivan Dragon, Spirit of the night! Shoot...That was awesome. They should bring it back. Non of this modular garbage.

And I'll Form The HEAD!!!!!

R

Reverend Love

I'll form the butt, excreting useless waste is my specialty...just as Spiderman.

M

mythosx

hahaha...you two are worthless super heroes...If you guys were super heroes, you would be the guy in the wonder twins where all you can do is become a bucket of water or something. Either him or Auqaman.

OH NO IT'S DARKSEID. Superman go stall him. Batman go find an answer on your computer. Auqaman, go talk to the fish...