Fifth Dawn- how disappointing

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is the full spoiler out already? Or are you just basing that on what's been released so far?

R

rkoelsch

The Orb is up and running. Entered angel and got zip. Well got 3 MRD block angels. Guess I have to wait for the next expansion. This will make the prerelease a tad anti climatic.

N

Notepad

At least the set looks to be somewhat cool. Unlike that crap in a bucket fest called Darksteel.

R

Reverend Love

Originally posted by Spiderman
Is the full spoiler out already? Or are you just basing that on what's been released so far?
Complete speculation on my part. However if word on the message board street is right (mtgnews) then some broken stuff slipped into 5th Dawn.....and I'm all about broken.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My post was meant towards rkoelsch, but that's okay... I forgot to quote him or put his name in front of my post :)

N

Notepad

Whether its a turd or not, I'm gonna get a single box just for the need of some new cards in my collection. It looks to be nothing like the portal restroom that was Darksteel, fortunately. And brokenness is more than welcome in my collection. I missed Urza block and as such don't have a ton of powerful cards from that period. It took me about a year to even get three Masticores (still only have three). Bleh...

M

mythosx

urza's block. I remember palying my friend ral at the time. I did not purchase any cards from that period, but I remember palying a land, saying go and then scooping promptly after 15 seconds. It was really really retarded. I do have a tolarian academy though, very very pimp.

N

Notepad

You lost in 15 seconds to a deck during Urza's Saga? I remember they took a while to set up their combos (I don't mean turns...I mean actual time).

One time, I remember playing against a guy who was playing one of those Timetwister decks, and on his winning turn (four) it took him something like five minutes to finally say "...and you lose."

M

mythosx

the worst combo of all was the abuse of high tide and the free mechanics. As soon as you see some one play the second high tide and then time spiral...The game was over. No real point in dragging it out. Mind over matter was a game ender too.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, everyone can join the "Slapanyonewholosestosunburst" club. All you have to do is slap anyone you catch losing a game to a deck that uses the "sunburst" mechanic.

N

Notepad

Its a terrible mechanic, really. Unless we see a lot of mana fixers in Fifth Dawn or the next block, all these cards will go to the junk bin where they belong. At least with kickers and such you had a variable casting cost (as Emblazoned Golem of the Volvers). With Sunburst, you have absurdly high casting costs of which you really want at least four different colors. Producing that much mana of that many colors on a consistent basis will be the undoing of the mechanic.

After all, as manay a volver players know, sometimes you really need to emergency cast them as 3/3s or 2/2s rather than their fully capable 5/5 versions. Sunburst allows no such flexibility in casting cost reduction.

E

EricBess

Pentad Prism - 2
Artifact
Sunburst (This comes into play with a charge counter on it for each color of mana used to pay its cost.)
Remove a charge counter from Pentad Prism: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Illus. David Martin
Common

You honestly don't think that any Sunburst cards are worthwhile? It may just be me, but 5 mana on turn 3 of pretty much any color you want seems to be something that might be considered.

M

mythosx

i disagree with sefro. Sunburst is pretty darn flexible. You dont need mana fixers to take advantage of sunburst. Any low sunburst value can be retroactively fixed by one of my favorite cards, power conduit. Sunburst only affects the initial value coming into play. Afterwards the charge counters can be manipulated as you please.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by EricBess
Pentad Prism - 2
Artifact
Sunburst (This comes into play with a charge counter on it for each color of mana used to pay its cost.)
Remove a charge counter from Pentad Prism: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Illus. David Martin
Common

You honestly don't think that any Sunburst cards are worthwhile? It may just be me, but 5 mana on turn 3 of pretty much any color you want seems to be something that might be considered.
With just one mana, I could much easier cast Lay of the Land, or even *gasp* Birds of Paradise. Hell, even a Talisman or a Myr or a Diamond would be better than this pile you cut&pasted.

Yes, access to any color of mana is pretty nice, but not as a one-time use that requires two different colors to even be worthwhile. None of green's mana fixers are that bad. And if not running green, where the hell are your Talismans?

M

mythosx

I officially retract all excitment that I had for this new set. It feels like a movie preview. We have already seen all the good stuff. It's been crap all week and I don't expect it to turn around any time soon.