Fifth Dawn- how disappointing

N

Notepad

I've been waiting for the whole set spoiler to come out before looking at it again, but it looks like everything's getting sour on the opinion side. Is the set really that bad? How sad that WotC would make a crappy 3rd set as well. Then again, Judgement and Prophecy sucked hard (flavor and fun-wise, not tourney-wise).

T

train

I don't think judgement sucked flavor-wise, and maybe fifth dawn will surprise similar to what Judgement did...;)

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by SeFRo
How sad that WotC would make a crappy 3rd set as well.
IMO, the last enjoyable set was Onslaught. Legions sucked because I HATE SLIVERS, while scourge was... interesting.

I wish, oh I wish that there could be another Tempest or Urza Block.

N

Notepad

Um dude, we are in another Urza or Tempest block. Insanely fast decks rule the tourney scene with absolutely broken cards all about. It is certainly a bad T2 season. Only difference really is the "sky is falling!" calls for bans are ignored since we've seen them too many times. Back then, the calls were rewarded with bans.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Hey! I found a combo! (insert false enthusiasm here)

Grinding Station + Summoning Station = game.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Summoning station defecates out colorless creatures. Not artifact creatures.

M

mythosx

This environment isnt as bad as urza's. Let's all be thank for for no tolarian academys and mind over matters. Most of those games ended on turn 1.

C

chocobo_cid

The 'current' Urza's block format, with Tolarian Academy banned, doesn't really need to worry about Tolarian Academy, does it? I didn't think so.

Urza's block was still fun in the casual scene and better in every way than Onslaught and Mirrodin Blocks. 'Cause they suck.

I

Istanbul

I found a better combo.

Blasting Station + Nuisance Engine + Dross Scorpion

Make a dude (Engine)
Throw it at your opponent (Station)
Untap Engine (Scorpion)
Make another dude (Engine)
Untap Station, throw dude at your opponent (Station)
Untap Engine (Scorpion)

Wheeeeeeeeee.
:rolleyes:

M

mythosx

Originally posted by chocobo_cid
The 'current' Urza's block format, with Tolarian Academy banned, doesn't really need to worry about Tolarian Academy, does it? I didn't think so.

Urza's block was still fun in the casual scene and better in every way than Onslaught and Mirrodin Blocks. 'Cause they suck.
Yes you are correct sir. But I wasn't referring to block constructed. I only play casual type 1. People still ream me with mind over matter/high tide or mind over matter/tolarian. Tolarian isn't as common though.

T

train

"and thou hast been overtaken by the darkness..."

Tolarian isn't really so bad - it's just an engine... it's the spells, or other items that use the engine that are so bad...

B

BigBlue

I guess I didn't miss anything in darksteel then...

Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to play much during Urza's Trilogy, I was judging a lot then. That was also when I was getting well reimbursed for judging - so while I didn't play I did get a couple boxes worth of boosters from judging Super Series, State Championships and whatnot that year. I did not buy very much and was surprised to see just how much I acquired. I ended up with 3 Masticores and traded for the 4th I think.

My nemesis - as a blue player - is Morphling. I've seen 1, I've never owned one and would love 2-3 but now that I play so infrequently I'm not going to shell out for them.

Fifth Dawn has broken stuff eh... well, I suppose that's one way to try to revive a game - start releasing broken cards to get old timers to shell out for some cards... maybe I'll pick up a box online for cheaps... I do like some of the stuff I got in Mirrodin - though I'm not a real Artifact player.

T

train

Question is whether or not the stuff is really broken... I can see a lot of it being manipulated, but broken - that hasn't happened in quite a while...:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I mean, if there were no moxes of any sort, no Sol Rings, Mana Vaults, Grim Monoliths, Strokes, Braingeysers, MoMas, Candelabras, etc. Tolarian Academy wouldn't be so good...

R

Reverend Love

Originally posted by BigBlue

Fifth Dawn has broken stuff eh... well, I suppose that's one way to try to revive a game - start releasing broken cards to get old timers to shell out for some cards... maybe I'll pick up a box online for cheaps... I do like some of the stuff I got in Mirrodin - though I'm not a real Artifact player.
I'm personally of the opinion that printing some powerful junk is also a way to smooth over the horrible facelift they've given magic. Keeping the Johnnies who can't help but play with the new found widgets, and Spike's in the game...and the Timmies, well they got their whole stupid Onslaught block so they should be sedated or a couple of years....Legions :rolleyes:

M

mythosx

I agree with the guys above. I don't think its broken in the context of Urza's. But as far as breaking all the rules. It's done that so many times already in this block. We have Serum powder which officially made mulligan a part of the rules now. Those rats are going to wreck havoc. And so much more....

I

Istanbul

How did WotC themselves say it?
You can only break the rules so many times before breaking the rules becomes old hat...
Me, I'm sick of the you-win cards. CoVic came out, and it was new and cool. Then we got Battle of Wits. And Mortal Combat. And Epic Struggle and Chance Encounter and Darksteel Reactor and now the Door...
It's getting *boring*.