CPA cards for Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arhar

ok... ALL of the Bernards are too powerful, I'm sorry.. I've already said it, but now it's time to say it again: if all of the cards designed by people are like Dustin the Broken, and it seems pretty much so, there's no point in even bothering..

C

Captain Caveman

Here are a couple more creatures to consider
for the CPA apprentice program. Both of these
cards are uncommon.

Road Scholar
2U
Creature-Wizard (Uncommon)
1/3
At the beginning of your upkeep if you control exactly seven permanants, draw a
card.

Pinquill
2G
Creature-Beast (Uncommon)
1/3
Do two damage to all creatures blocking or
blocked by Pinquill.

This guy is similiar to a Basilisk but does
his damage first. Affectively giving a Green
mage limited creature removal.

C

Captain Caveman

Here are couple more cards to consider for
the CPA apprentice program. Both of these
cards are uncommon.

Road Scholar
2U
Creature-Wizard (Uncommon)
1/3
At the beginning of your upkeep if you control exactly
seven permanants, draw a card.

Pinquill
2G
Creature-Beast (Uncommon)
1/3
Do two damage to all creatures blocking or blocked by
Pinquill.

This guy is similiar to a Basilisk except he
deals his damage first. Affectively giving a
Green Mage limited creature removal.

C

Captain Caveman

Oops, double post. Sorry about that!

Here are a few more suggestions for the CPA
Apprentice thing. Btw, I haven't seen to
many commemts about my suggestions. Are any
of them playable?

Reckless Youth
2R
Creature- Children(Uncommon)
3/1
Reckless Youth can not be blocked by creatures with
power one or less.

Spiritual Leader
2W
Creature-Cleric (Uncommon)
1/2
When Spiritual Leader comes into play, from your hand,
all creatures you control get a +1+1 until end of
turn.
"We are the chosen, Never Surrender!, we can not be
defeated"

Falling Timbers
GG
Instant
Uncommon
At the time you play Falling Timbers sacrifice a forest.
Do one damage to target creature for each forest you
control.

End of Time
5R
Sorcery
Rare
Each player removes half of there library from the game.

Divining Knight
1BB
Creature-Knight (Uncommon)
2/2
Green and White creatures can not block Divining Knight

Z

Zadok001

The Bernards are WAY overpowered. The green one alone is an infinite mana combo with _any_ two Green permanents. Wild Growth and Llanowar Elves come to mind. Baaaa-roken.

Caveman: I love Road Scholar, he's not usually very good, but seems really fun to play with. Spritual Leader is nice, but shouldn't have the 'from your hand' clause. Would re-animating him be that dangerous?

And End of Time is all sorts of cool! I'd actually consider making that 'target player,' though. It seems like that would make it too good, but it still takes a lot of work to kill someone, even if half their deck is gone. (And hey, it's a great combo killer. 50% likely to get the kill cards OUTTA' THERE!) Hmm... And if it were an instant...

"In reponse to Demonic Consultation, I End of Time you. Goodbye!"

C

Chaos Turtle

Captain Caveman, I like all of your card ideas. Most of them will be included, with only minor reworking (I too see no point in the 'from your hand' clause in Spiritual Leader.

I have noticed a couple of cards with a mechanic called "artifice" which allows a card to be played using only generic mana. I am very interested in this mechanic and would like to know where it originated, so that I can give proper credit. I would like an entire group of "artifice" cards.

I am curious to know a couple of opinions from you all...
Would the artifice ability be a bad idea, since as worded (ex.-Artifice 6 (you may pay 6 to play this spell instead of paying it's mana cost)) it allows you to play spells in monocolor decks that are completely outside of the color's "flavor," such as Suicide Black having access to an Artifice-Disenchant.

How about using the ability for cards with abilities that are already spread through a variety of colors, like land destruction, which is seen in red, green, and black and globally in white.

Also, how much should that artifice ability add to the cost of a spell. Like the Disenchant example, should it cost 2W, 1WW, 3W or what?

What cards ought to have Artifice versions, and what cards oughtnot?

Thanks!

Z

Zadok001

Artifice, I believe, originated on the MtgNews boards, but I'm not sure by whom. I'll do a check with the HGML (Home-Grown Magic League, they make their own Apprentice patches), see if they know.

In general, I think only the more 'spread' themes should be run in Artifice. Land destruction, sure. Maybe an instant cost 2RR, Stone Rain ability, Artifice 5. The spread abilities can be cheap Artifice, since they aren't too dangerous. When you get to more color specific abilities (a la' Disenchant) the Artifice cost should skyrocket. Otherwise, you get black decks splashing Disenchant, which would be a Bad Thing(tm).

This would be an interesting one... The 'non black' clause makes for some odd stuff.

Artifice Dark Banishing
2BB
Instant
Destroy target non black creature. It can't be regenerated.
Artifice: 6

Both Green and Black have (very minor) damage themes, so this might be pretty good. Possibly overpowered, Blue would have a field day with creature removal.

Sparks
3R
Instant
Deal 3 damage to any target.
Artifice: 5

Another option would be to have color-specific abilities, i.e. (the wording is horrid):

Rainbow Spell
2X
X may only be colored mana, and cannot be more or less than 1.
If X is white, destroy target artifact or enchantment.
If X is green, put a 2/2 Beast token into play.
If X is red, deal 2 damage to any target.
If X is black, pay 4 life and draw 2 cards.
If X is blue, counter target spell unless it's controller pays an additional 3.

These card could actually be 'themed,' so to speak. For example, each color could require a different 'payment' to gain an identical effect for each color. Black pays life, red sacrifices land, blue does something else, etc...

On second thought, these cards would be better in draft than in constructed. They'd be pretty tough to use well, and would only have an appreciable impact in five-color decks.

"Twist and turn..."

F

FoundationOfRancor

I was the one who came up with the artifice idea. I dont remember posting it on the mtgnews (I might have though) so somebody else might have come up with the idea. The idea came from me playing that magic game. I forgot its name. But it seemed like alot of options were open to evre4y color. I wanted to find a way to bring it back. So I thought of the counterspell with artifice 6. My original was to make the spell colorless and make its casting vost just 4 or somethin but have it be an instant and stuff. Then MM came out and I remembered the ACC so I thought of the one now. SOme cards made to artifice could be
Shock
Incinerate
Counterspell
Giant Growth
Terror (Or vendetta?)
disenchant
stone rain
boomerang
I was alsop thinking of making craetures with artifice. Just make a grizzly bears with artifice 2 or 3. Me and DPO (WHo originally posted it, DPO left magic unfortunalty though) cant take full credit because somebody from mtgnews might have came up with the same idea. What do you guys think of
Counterspell BBBB (Blue)
Counter target spell
4RR: YOu may pay 4RR intead of paying its casting cost.

A more specific artifice. I dont know, what do you think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

By that magic game. I meant the 1 on the computer with all the old sets.

T

theorgg

for the artifice cards, why do they cost more than the originals?

(stone rain varent)_________2R
__Insert cool art into this__
Sorcery
Destroy target land
Artifice: 5-6, depending on playtesting.

F

FoundationOfRancor

cuz then they would be better than the originals. I dont think that'd be cool.

D

Duel

There are very few artifact commons, and these card should be more expensive for one reason: no color!!! Yes, I'd like some land destruction in my mono-blue deck (no I wouldn't but you get the point).

F

FoundationOfRancor

Rain of Stone (lol) 2RR
Sorcery
Destroy target land
Artifice:5 (Since LD comes to many colors is why its so cheap)

Combined Will 3BB (Blue mana)
Instant
Counter target spell
artifice :8 (This is a VERY important ability and should cost alot)

Fear of Rancor 1BB (Black mana)
Instant
Destroy any non artifact, non black creature (Note not any "cant regenerate")
artifice 4

Accelerated Growth GG
Instant
Target creature gets +3+3 till end of turn
Artifice 3

Chant of negator (Runnin low on names) 2WW
Instant
Destroy target artifact or sorcery
Artifice: 5-6?

More possibilitys

Metallic Grizzly Bears 1G
2/2
Artifice 2

Seal of artifice 2WW
Enchantement
sac: Any card in your hand gains artifice 6 till end of turn
Artifice 4

Artifice artifact 6
Artifact
During your upkeep, draw an additional card
Artifice: 3BB (Not really artifice...)

Anyway, what you all think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

For that artifact with artifice, the artifice cost was 3BB (black)

S

superguy

FOUDATION OF RANCOR
i love the idea
but here's the thing
When writing blue mana in text, it is universal to use U. for ex. Force of Will's casting cost would be 3UU. but the artifice idea is good, except for counterspell. what the hell? 8 mana? good ideas though.

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, how about 'artifice' as an alternate mana cost that is not necessarily generic mana. What might we call such a thing?

It ought to be short but descriptive, and easy to remember.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I persoanlly like "Artifice" but if were going to branch out to non-generic mana, we need a better name. Lol "rust" comes to mind. Sounds dorky though. The counterspell should cost 8 (I guess, I havent playtested that 1) cuz if it was like, 4 or 6 it might be to low and really usuable in all colors. Come to think bout it, 8 would only be used in control decks, and most control uses blue. Maybe 6 is good.

F

FoundationOfRancor

K. I was talking to 1 of my friends and they gave me this list of ideas for artifice.

Overall
Bland
Basic
Stock

I think basic has some possibilities.
"Basic 4 : You may pay 4 instead of this cards normal casting cost, if you do put it in play"
What yall think?

F

FoundationOfRancor

K. Heres some more (I ask my friends as they come on)

Universal
Allinclusive
sweeping
collective

Status
Not open for further replies.