confirmed Torment cards

R

rakso

Question.

When you pay a cost that requires a discard, I'm sure you CAN'T still use Madness on it, right?

C

Chaos Turtle

That depends on how the madness ability is worded.

If it's worded as a replacement, then that is correct.
But if it's just a cost to play with a rules modification allowing you to play it when it's discarded, then you would be able to do that.

I

Istanbul

I assumed that you could, as the rules text didn't say anything about 'if forced to discard by your opponent'. If it IS only when forced to discard by an opponent, cards like Wild Mongrel will stay good, instead of becoming amazing.

F

FoundationOfRancor

If you can activate madness with any discard, then it will just magnify the worth of every card in Odyssey. Which is a good thing, I beleive.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

There's a Vampire in Torment, but I have my doubts that it is indeed the Sengir Vampire, cause Wizards usually doesn't reprint non-Portal cards in Expansions.
I just finished reading the torment novel, and Chainer makes a notice to a vampire in the pits as being a Sengir Vampire. Chainer then goes on to explain the myth of the Sengir to Kamahl. So it seems very probable that the sengir could make a comeback in torment. Regarding Chainer, the second version of him that Lotus Mox posted is more in tune with the abilities of Chainer in the novel.

F

FoundationOfRancor

From rancored_elf over at mtgnews.

name? - WW
Instant
As an additional cost to play ~, discard X cards from your hand.
Remove X target attacking creatures from the game.

name? - RR
Instant or Sorcery
~ deals X damage to each creature and player.

name? - GG
Sorcery
Return X target cards from your graveyard to your hand. Remove ~ from the game.

name? - UU
Instant or Sorcery
Return X target creatures to owner's hands.

C

Chaos Turtle

Chainer's Edict
1B
Sorcery <==:(

Target player sacrifices a creature.
Flashback 5BB

Found at brainburst.com

D

Daggertooth

CT that card was also posted in sideboard with a huge rant about how great and versitile it is.

Quite frankly I don't think it's that great. Sure another way to get rid of irridesant Angel in limmited is something to be admired, but other than that I'd stick it in the common box with my Diabolic Edict.

Daggertooth
(Anyone else not able to get into mtgnews today?)

R

rakso

Um... Diabolic Edict is one of the top spot removal cards in black.

This one, being a sorcery that you might actually get to tap out for in the late game, is an inflexible variant that doesn't even do anything to Ball Lightning. :)

T

theorgg

In Type ][][, it may see play, but in extended, the instant-speed counterpart is much better.

I also haven't been able to access mtgnews.com today, either...

Hopfully this isn't their "goodbye"

P

Purple_jester

Long time no post. Yeah, I know.

ISTY, Faceless Butcher can't remove Faceless Butchers from play. It's in the text. It can go solo if it wants to.

Regarding the vampire debate, I've seen the art on the net, and I was labelled Sengir Vampire. Plus there are at least 2 spoiler lists saying that the vampire is back. However, like Serra, it's coming back as a rare. (Like I care, having 4 Revised versions anyway)

I hope that shade is common, or at least uncommon. My mono-black has been needing new blood for the longest time. All in all, this set really shakes up the environment. A dark shadow across the sparkling sea of multi-colors. ;)

R

rakso

I think the Sengir Vampire card is already up on the Wizards site. :)

E

EricBess

It is. Go to the artical about the card art and click on the final image.

I

Istanbul

DUDE!

Da Champ is the prerelease rare?!
Thus far, from what I've seen, it's the chase rare!