Nantuko Shade
BB
Creature - Insect Shade
B: Nantuko Shade gains +1/+1 until rnd of turn
2/1

Basking Rootwalla
G
Creature - Lizard
1G - Basking Rootwalla gains +2/+2 until end of turn. You may only play this ability once each turn.
Madness 0 (You may play this spell for its madness cost any time you discard it from your hand)

Mind Sludge
Sorcery
4B
Target player discards a card for each swamp you control

I absolutely love that shade, and madness is pretty interesting (w/ Mongrel :eek: )

H

Hetemti

Nantuko Shade
BB
Creature - Insect Shade
2/1

The shade is good. Assuming common, it will be worthy of its cardboard.

Basking Rootwalla
G
Creature - Lizard
1G - Basking Rootwalla gains +2/+2 until end of turn. You may only play this ability once each turn.
Madness 0 (You may play this spell for its madness cost any time you discard it from your hand)

I figure Madness would be "If ~this~ would be put into your graveyard from your hand, you may pay ~cost~ to play it as though it were in your hand." or something like that. Newbies would too easily get confused by that wording, thinking they could pay 0 and discard it to play it.
Also, how are you going to play the ability when this auto-seppukus to statebased, since it has no P/T?

Mind Sludge
Sorcery
4B
Target player discards a card for each swamp you control

Hah! Five swamps! Better than twist! Uh, all I have is a land and a Werebear. Go ahead. >next game< Swamp, rit, rit, Ha! Twist for...1...Not even random...I'll chuck a Crypt Creeper. Happy?
...soon, the little children cried, as they heard another craprare be torn asunder and thrown to the four winds...

Z

Zadok001

Shade:

So, Frozen Shade is still on the fast-track to not-quite-worthless. :) Maybe it'll be playable this time! Looks good to start, nice P/T ratio, no drawbacks...

Basking Rootwalla

I believe someone on MtGNews confirmed that as a 1/1. However, after black was SO bad in the last set, I think R&D realized they needed a new mechanic to interact with discard. I'm not sure they realized their precious new mechanic HOSED discard, but hey, whatever... Did we really need another slightly bent combo with Wild Mongrel?

Mind Sludge

Good effect... But as Hetemti said (more than slightly paraphrased), five mana is too much. And, like all black "count your swamps!" cards, did they really have to mock us by putting only one black in the casting cost?

I

Istanbul

Hey, look, a playable pumpshade!

I always liked the Rootwallas, and I suspect this one will be no different.

Mind Sludge is CRAP! C-R-A-P big stinky pile of donkey loaf. If this thing is rare, I'm gonna have to go caveman on somebody. It'd better be common.

A

arhar

Originally posted by Lotus Mox

Nantuko Shade
BB
Creature - Insect Shade
2/1

This is AMAZING in limited!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Im not sure I understand Madness. Do you play it when a card target's it while it's in your hand?

Also, It seems weird that a second named ability would be started in an expansion set. We all know the normal set mechanic routine has been shot to hell, so who knows?

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Also, It seems weird that a second named ability would be started in an expansion set. We all know the normal set mechanic routine has been shot to hell, so who knows?
Fading
Gating.
It's not so weird anymore...
[Edit: Okay, so gating isn't a NAMED ability. Still.]

Z

Zadok001

Originally posted by Gizmo
Amazing in limited???

It`s amazing in ANYTHING.
Type 1 comes to mind.

I don't like it that much. I mean, it's powerful, but... Well... Yuck. It's just Frozen Shade with some icing.

G

Gizmo

Yeah the 'Icing' being one off the casting cost and one onto the power.

By that reckoning a 3/2 for G would just be a 'Grizzly Bear with Icing'.

This is possibly the best 2cc black creature since pump Knights.

I

Istanbul

Loath as I am to agree with Gizmo, I have to in this case.

Compare.

Looming Shade (3B)
Creature - Shade
B: Looming Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Nantuko Shade (BB)
Creature - Insect Shade
B: Nantuko Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/1

L

Lotus Mox

Looming Shade costs only 2B.

You have to remember that Wizards considers BB spells to be better than 2B spells (Black Knight vs. Scathe Zombie is a classic example), this is especially true in an environement as multicolored as this is now.
But since the Shades are usually only playable in heavy black decks this point is not as valid as it would be with some more generic spells.

--

There is also a very high probablity that Torment will contain enemy-colored gold cards: just look at this pic.

L

Lotus Mox

I found some interesting rumors at www.mtgnews.com

-a black 11cc 8/8 flyer which removes all cards from target opponents hand when it comes into play, and gives them back when it leaves play. (if it's reanimatable it will be great)

-the legend Chainer which has the Chains of Mephistopheles (could someone explain how the Chains work? ;) ) effect built in.

-a Threshold Ritual
1B
add BBB to your manapool
Threshold - add BBBBB to your mana pool (instead?)

-a green (and a red) cantrip 1 mana sorcery which makes the next creature (sorcery) uncounterable.

Z

Zadok001

Yeah the 'Icing' being one off the casting cost and one onto the power.

By that reckoning a 3/2 for G would just be a 'Grizzly Bear with Icing'.

This is possibly the best 2cc black creature since pump Knights.
Better comparision might be to Grey Ogre, a 3/2 creature for RR. Which isn't bad, but isn't great, either.

I just don't see the current format as being very happy with our dear little friend the Swamp, or supporting single-colored decks very well. I expect this will see quite a flurry of play if either of those things change, but until then, I think Foul Imp will see as much play as this will.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Lotus Mox
-the legend Chainer which has the Chains of Mephistopheles (could someone explain how the Chains work? ;) ) effect built in.
Easy.

For every card you draw during your turn after the first, you have to discard a card first.

Particularly evil with Anvil of Bogardan.

I

Istanbul

#1: Isn't he a legend?

#2: Even if he isn't, how would two Chains be worse than one? It doesn't affect your first draw each turn, only subsequent turns.

A

arhar

Amazing in limited???

It`s amazing in ANYTHING.
That is true... why didn't I think of it? Maybe because limited's the only format I play anymore :(

Z

Zadok001

Well, Isty, the problem is, each Chains has a replacement effect for the same event. I don't completely understand the rules (Ericbess?) but it's rather annoying and complicated. One Chains replaces the draw, then the next, and the next, and the next...

And we CAN get multiple Chainers into play for a turn via Unnatural Selection.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's probably the relevant ruling on Crystalkeep:

The effect is cumulative. If you have two of these out, each of them will modify on each draw (after the first one if during the draw step), and will cause the player to discard or to "mill" a card from their library. As they resolve in order, the player must discard if possible. Once the player fails to discard and instead "mills" a card, all further effects of additional Chains of Mephistopheles will not do anything. This is because the "mill" also replaces the draw effect and the player is no longer drawing a card. [WotC Rules Team 1996/12/03] You handle them in order. Each one makes you discard first and then continue or else mill a card and lose the draw.