confirmed Torment cards

C

Chaos Turtle

Ugh.

I remember that "discussion" from MTG-L. I don't even want to go there. I don't even want to look the ruling up, much less try to figure it out on my own; I'm so traumatized. I don't think I liked the result anyway. :(

E

EricBess

It's not that bad if you understand the replacment ability rules. Basically, you have a draw that needs to be replaced and two replacement abilities trying to replace it.

You choose one to replace it. That says you must discard (or mill) first and then draw. The second one then looks to see if it can still replace that event. Well, it can replace the draw portion of that event, so you have to discard (or mill) first and then draw.

End result with two in play is that if you are about to draw a second card, you must discard 2 (or mill) first and then draw one.

Edit - I just read Spidey's post and I don't want to look up the exact text of Chains... (I might anyway)... if you mill, do you not draw?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the exact text:

Chains of Mephistopheles
Color=Black Type=Enchantment Cost=1B LG(R)
Text(LG+errata): If a player would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in a draw step, that player discards a card from his or her hand instead. If the player discards a card, he or she draws a card. If the player doesn't discard a card, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

L

Lotus Mox

I think I am understanding how the Chains work, could interact nicely with the madness mechanic :).

Here are some new MTGnews rumors from a credible source:

Torment contains:

40 Black cards
28 Red and Blue cards
21 White and Green cards.
5 Nonbasic lands.

-this uneven distribution will have a strange effect on limited. There will be NO ARTIFACTS in torment.

Obsessive Search - Common
Instant
U
Draw a card.
Madness: U (You may may play this card for its madness cost at the time you discard it from your hand.)

-it can be 2 for 1 card advantage if you use madness.

Cabal Ritual - Common
Instant
1B
Add BBB to your mana pool.
Threshold: Add BBBBB to your mana pool instead.

-bad without threshold and when you have threshold you might not need the mana boost.

Plagiarize - Rare
Instant
3U
Until end of turn, if target player would draw a card, instead that player skips that draw and you draw card.

-a bit weird, it's at least a cantrip Fatigue, and can get ridiculous in response to something like Brainstorm, but the high casting cost will probably prevent it from being widely played.

Mortal Combat - Rare
2BB
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if twenty or more creature cards are in your graveyard, you win the game.

P

PTQ

Don't forget Sengir Vampire !

They have a picture of the new art over at Magicsur.com, just scroll down and look on the left-hand sidebars.

L

Lotus Mox

There's a Vampire in Torment, but I have my doubts that it is indeed the Sengir Vampire, cause Wizards usually doesn't reprint non-Portal cards in Expansions.
But seeing how Torment is The Black Set(TM), it isn't impossible they have made an exception.

YEAH MY 500th POST :D

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by Lotus Mox

Cabal Ritual - Common
Instant
1B
Add BBB to your mana pool.
Threshold: Add BBBBB to your mana pool instead.

-bad without threshold and when you have threshold you might not need the mana boost.
I think this is so you could play Cabal Patiriarch in a multicolor deck easier. You are trading 1 Colorless for BB. I would be amazed if they released the ratios of cards you discussed earlier, unless they are looking for B to blow up. Taking away cards from W/G and giving B extras seems wrong somehow. You sure that didn't come of misetings.com? :)

Also, with those dumb familiars, you get Rit back + insane threshold.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Lotus Mox
I think I am understanding how the Chains work, could interact nicely with the madness mechanic :).

Here are some new MTGnews rumors from a credible source:

Torment contains:

40 Black cards
28 Red and Blue cards
21 White and Green cards.
5 Nonbasic lands.

-this uneven distribution will have a strange effect on limited. There will be NO ARTIFACTS in torment.
Sorry, Lotus...but I just don't see your credible source as that credible anymore. A secondary set of less than 100 cards, with almost half being one color?

Maybe that's the number of cards he *saw*.

Z

Zadok001

Harkuvian is the source, he gave us almost all of Oddysey. And that should be read:

40 Black cards
28 Red cards
28 Blue cards
21 White cards
21 Green cards
5 non-basic lands

Better, Isty? :)

And here's the card that opens the BIG can o' wurms (yes, I meant to do that):

Radiate - Rare
3RR
Instant
Choose target instant or sorcery spell that targets only a single permanent or player. For each other permanent or player that spell could target, put a copy of the spell onto the stack. Each copy targets a different one of those permanets and players.

Can you say... YIKES!

H

Hetemti

Yikes, it's a sorta bad, lest ye build around it...

Couterspell? Nah.
Lightning Bolt? 3RRR and two cards for a half Inferno.
Swords? 3RRW for an überwrath. Not bad...but still...

What do we use this with? Cantrips, that's what. Repulse becomes 5URR: Bounce all critters, draw a card for each.

Expensive, but nice...and no...you may not act as if you could muster 6URRR and do that with Prophetic Bolt. That's morally wrong.

H

Hetemti

That was too obvious... :p ...I need to find some dang players...I haven't touched my R/U deck in a month. :(

I

Istanbul

Fine, that's 143 cards, but I still don't believe that WotC would so blatantly favor one color over the others.

Z

Zadok001

I have a hard time accepting it too, but given how obviously weak black was in Oddysey (on needs merely look at the most drafted colors to see how BAD black is), I can understand strengthening it. It'll add an odd little twist to the format. Speculation that Judgement will be the "White" set, but beyond that, it's anyone's best guess.

I

Istanbul

Sorry. I've still gotta scream 'bullshirt!' at the top of my lungs. Wizards has never given one color such an obvious advantage, and I don't think it ever will. You want a color that's been screwed? Go take a look at red. THAT'S a color that WotC has been kicking in the nuts since Tempest block. Even if Judgement is then the 'white' block, that leaves blue, green, and red severely weakened. (Nothing will kill a color like the lack of cards available for that color.)

I'm gonna file this one under "I'll believe it when I see it".

R

rkoelsch

Wizards has been trying to shake up the field. remember split cards. I put this as a possibility. It also means I would probably buy no Torment as Black is the only color I almost never play.

L

Lotus Mox

Originally posted by Istanbul
(Nothing will kill a color like the lack of cards available for that color.)
I want to correct you in this point, in an constructed environment, you don't kill a color with the lack of quantity (unless there are next to no cards at all), you kill it with a lack of quality.

e.g. if a set has 10 awesome white cards which build an insanely good deck together,and every other color gets 1000 bulloink cards, white will dominate.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta agree with Isty, I don't think there will be such an uneven distribution among the colors. And I agree with Lotus Mox that if a color is to be weakened, you just put bad cards in it so no one will play it :) So I think that it what's going to happen (if WOTC also sees that black or whatever color is "weak").

H

Hetemti

I think they might pull it off.
The Torment:Black::Judgment:White does make some sence...this might be a Big Cycle.

Odessy: Internal cycles, plenty of mana fixers.
Torment: Black
Judgment: White
Onslaught: Red
Ons Exp I: Blue
Ons Exp II: Green

They still have yet to give us good Red since Tempest...just spash crap. (And Onslaught is a Red card...a crappy red card...but still...) It also shafts Green, since R&D Loves to shaft Green, and withholds goodies from Blue to keep the environment alive for a glorious few weeks.

Frankly, I've kinda liked the idea of color-based boosters, with non-basic land and artifacts mixed in, so that you could buy the cards you need for your deck, and WizCo can still sell random garbage for pure profit.