Commander 2013: Spidey (Nature of the Beast) vs Mooseman (Mind Seize)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Get Cruel Ultimatum
Cast it and Mirari it
Response?

Spidey: 29
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 0/21
Hand: 6
Library: 67
Command Zone: RWG

Battlefield:

(U) New Benalia (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, scry 1.; T: Add W to my mana pool.
(U) Gruul Guildgate (~ ETB tapped.; T: Add R or G to my mana pool)
(U) Rupture Spire (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, sac it unless I pay 1; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Temple of the False God (T: Add 2 to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if I control 5 or more lands)
(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

Curse of the Forsaken (Enchant player; Whenever a creature attacks enchanted player, its controller gains 1 life)

(U) Behemoth Sledge (Equipped creature has +2/+2 and has lifelink and trample.; Equip 3)

(S) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 7/7 from ctrs, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *7 +1/+1 ctrs*

Graveyard:Opal Palac, Druidic Satchel, Crater Hellion, Avenger of Zendikar, Harmonize, Gahiji, Honored One, Wrath of God, Naya Panorama, Sprouting Vines
Exile: Cultivate, Hull Breach, Boros Garrison, War Cadence
==============================================================================
Mooseman: 49 *Cursed*
Hand: 7 (Guttersnipe)
Library: 63
Command Zone: 1UBR Jeleva, Nephalia’s Scourge (Vampire Wizard, 1/3, Flying When Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge enters the battlefield, each player exiles the top X cards of his or her library, where X is the amount of mana spent to cast Jeleva. Whenever Jeleva attacks, you may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with it without paying its mana cost. )
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TT) Island x2
(T) Command Tower (T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.)
(T) Rakdos Carnarium ( ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add BR to your mana pool. )
(T) Sol Ring (T:2)
(T) Izzet Boilerworks ( ETB tapped. ETB bounce a land T: Add UR to your mana pool. )

Swiftfoot Boots (Equipped creature has hexproof and haste. Equip {1} )
Mirari (Whenever you play an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay 3. If you do, put a copy of that spell onto the stack. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

(S) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. )

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling,Cruel Ultimatum
Exile: Swamp, Grixis Charm, Wayfarer’s Bauble, Curse of Shallow Graves

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Um, I messed up. I forgot to discard when you cast Cruel Ultimatum last turn, so I couldn't cast Sprouting Vines and get the land. Do you want to rewind to then and restructure the board?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Um, I messed up. I forgot to discard when you cast Cruel Ultimatum last turn, so I couldn't cast Sprouting Vines and get the land. Do you want to rewind to then and restructure the board?
I think you would just lose the 3 lands back to your library. and you would have only 1 card in hand (the one you drew last turn)?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, I had 4 cards in my hand when you cast it, although I haven't cast any except the Sprouting Vines (so that's 3 others). I can't say if I would have drawn a land or not since I shuffled after I searched with Sprouting Vines though.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Except I cast the Cruel Ultimatum twice (once with Mirari), like this turn.
So you would have had no cards in hand. Right?
No matter what, to solve this you would have to shuffle your deck and the card you drew would be random, maybe not as random without the lands in the deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so I'm going to rewind to that last turn and the end, putting the 2 Plains, Mt, and the card I drew last turn back in my library and shuffling. So I discard Sprouting Vines, Darksteel Mutation, Boros Charm, and Krosan Tusker from the Cruel Ultimatum.

So Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains (ha!)
Marath

Done

Hand: 0
Library: 70
Command Zone: RWG Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 5/5 from ctrs, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. )

Battlefield:

(U) Rupture Spire (~ ETB tapped.; When ~ ETB, sac it unless I pay 1; T: Add one mana of any color to my mana pool)
(U) Temple of the False God (T: Add 2 to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if I control 5 or more lands)
(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

Curse of the Forsaken (Enchant player; Whenever a creature attacks enchanted player, its controller gains 1 life)

(U) Behemoth Sledge (Equipped creature has +2/+2 and has lifelink and trample.; Equip 3)

(S) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 7/7 from ctrs, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *7 +1/+1 ctrs*

Graveyard:Opal Palac, Druidic Satchel, Crater Hellion, Avenger of Zendikar, Harmonize, Gahiji, Honored One, Wrath of God, Naya Panorama, Sprouting Vines, Darksteel Mutation, Boros Charm, Krosan Tusker
Hand: 4 (Guttersnipe,
Mnemonic Wall
Library: 64
Command Zone: 1UBR Jeleva, Nephalia’s Scourge (Vampire Wizard, 1/3, Flying When Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge enters the battlefield, each player exiles the top X cards of his or her library, where X is the amount of mana spent to cast Jeleva. Whenever Jeleva attacks, you may cast an instant or sorcery card exiled with it without paying its mana cost. )
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TT) Island x2
(T) Command Tower (T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.)
(T) Rakdos Carnarium ( ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add BR to your mana pool. )
(U) Izzet Boilerworks ( ETB tapped. ETB bounce a land T: Add UR to your mana pool. )

Mirari (Whenever you play an instant or sorcery spell, you may pay 3. If you do, put a copy of that spell onto the stack. You may choose new targets for the copy.)

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Since I am going to do, the same thing, wouldn't the board be the same, except for the plains you get?
BTW - I'm not sure why you get to put the card you drew back into the library and then draw again, but It doesn't matter that much.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I took from your statement
No matter what, to solve this you would have to shuffle your deck and the card you drew would be random, maybe not as random without the lands in the deck.
That it was okay to put back my draw and draw again. I don't have to do that, in which case I wouldn't have a Plains (because that's what I just drew) and would have a card in my hand to discard since I didn't cast it during my turn. It's up to you since I messed up.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So let's just continue
My turn was
UUD
Wall
Get Cruel Ultimatum
Cast it and Mirari it
Response?

Command Zone: RWG Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 5/5 from ctrs, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. )

Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

Graveyard:Opal Palac, Druidic Satchel, Crater Hellion, Avenger of Zendikar, Harmonize, Gahiji, Honored One, Wrath of God, Naya Panorama, Sprouting Vines, Darksteel Mutation, Boros Charm, Krosan Tusker
Library: 63
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TT) Island x2
(T) Izzet Boilerworks ( ETB tapped. ETB bounce a land T: Add UR to your mana pool. )

(S) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. )

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling, Cruel Ultimatum

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All righty. In response, tap Temple of False God and use 1 and remove 1 ctr from Marath to create a 1/1 Elemental token. I see you're tapped out (hopefully) so I assume you don't have any responses, so that should resolve and then still with Cruel and Mirari on the stack, I'll use the other 1 and remove a ctr from Marath to create another 1/1 Elemental token. Once that resolves, Mirari and Cruel can resolve so I just sac those two Elemental tokens to them.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Fine.....
Take 10, I gain 10 and I draw 6 cards
Island
Boot the wall
Discard
Done

Battlefield:

(T,T,T) Mt x3
(T,T,T) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

(S) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast,5/5 from ctrs, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *5 +1/+1 ctrs*

Library: 57
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TTT) Island x3

(S) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. ) ~Booted~

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling, Cruel Ultimatum, Izzet Guildgate, Vivid Creek, Curse of Chaos, 3 Temple Bell , Jace’s Archivist

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll adjust our life totals :)

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Equip the Sledge to Marath
Attack, triggering the Curse and gaining 1 life
Responses/blocks/take it?

Spidey: 20
Hand: 1
Library: 69

Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Mt x3
(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

(S) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 7/7; Lifelink; Trample from ctrs and Sledge, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *5 +1/+1 ctrs* *Equipped w/Sledge*

Mooseman: 59 *Cursed*
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TTT) Island x3

(S) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. ) ~Booted~

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling, Cruel Ultimatum, Izzet Guildgate, Vivid Creek, Curse of Chaos, 3 Temple Bell , Jace’s Archivist

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You take 7, I gain 7.

Done

Spidey: 27

Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Mt x3
(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

(T) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 7/7; Lifelink; Trample from ctrs and Sledge, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *5 +1/+1 ctrs* *Equipped w/Sledge*

Mooseman: 52 *Cursed*
Enemy Commander Combat Dmg Dealt: 7/21
Battlefield:

(TTT) Mountain x3
(TTT) Swamp x3
(TTT) Island x3

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
UUD
Temple of the False God
True-Name Nemesis, choosing you
Guttersnipe
Done

Battlefield:

(T,U,U) Mt x3
(T,U,U) Forest x3
(T,U) Plains x2

(T) Marath, Will of the Wild (Legendary Creature - Elemental Beast, 7/7; Lifelink; Trample from ctrs and Sledge, Marath, Will of the Wild enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters on it equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it. {X}, Remove X +1/+1 counters from Marath: Choose one — Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature; or Marath deals X damage to target creature or player; or put an X/X green Elemental creature token onto the battlefield. X can't be 0. ) *5 +1/+1 ctrs* *Equipped w/Sledge*

Hand: 5
Library: 56
Battlefield:

(UUT) Mountain x3
(UUU) Swamp x3
(UUT) Island x3
(U) Command Tower (T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.)
(U) Rakdos Carnarium ( ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add BR to your mana pool. )
(U) Sol Ring (T:2)
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add 2 to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if I control 5 or more lands)

(U) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. ) ~Booted~
(S) True-Name Nemesis (, 3/1, As True-Name Nemesis enters the battlefield, choose a player. True-Name Nemesis has protection from the chosen player. (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything controlled by that player.) )
(S) Guttersnipe (Goblin Shaman, 2/2, Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Guttersnipe deals 2 damage to each opponent.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dang. That True-Name Nemesis guy is pretty bad-oink.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Attack with Marath
Responses/blocks/take it?

Hand: 2
Library: 68

Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Mt x3
(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U) Plains x2

Hand: 5
Battlefield:

(UUT) Mountain x3
(UUU) Swamp x3
(UUT) Island x3
(U) Command Tower (T: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color in your commander's color identity.)
(U) Rakdos Carnarium ( ETB tapped. When ~ comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand. T: Add BR to your mana pool. )
(T) Temple of the False God (, L, T: Add 2 to my mana pool. Activate this ability only if I control 5 or more lands)

(U) Mnemonic Wall (, 0/4, Defender When ~ enters the battlefield, you may return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. ) ~Booted~
(S) True-Name Nemesis (, 3/1, As True-Name Nemesis enters the battlefield, choose a player. True-Name Nemesis has protection from the chosen player. (This creature can't be blocked, targeted, dealt damage, or enchanted by anything controlled by that player.) )
(S) Guttersnipe (Goblin Shaman, 2/2, Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Guttersnipe deals 2 damage to each opponent.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Doh! Are you doing return to hand option or destroy? Or does it matter, *can* Marath return to my hand?

No responses either way.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'll return it to your hand, since the replacement effect is only triggered when the commander is going tot he GY or Exile.
Then, if you cast it from your hand the cost is normal (whats on the card) , not the added cost of casting from the command zone.
Still your turn.

Spidey: 25
Hand: 3 (Marath)
Library: 68

Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Mt x3
(U,U,U) Forest x3
(U,U) Plains x2

Graveyard:Opal Palac, Druidic Satchel, Crater Hellion, Avenger of Zendikar, Harmonize, Gahiji, Honored One, Wrath of God, Naya Panorama, Sprouting Vines, Darksteel Mutation, Boros Charm, Krosan Tusker,Behemoth Sledge
Hand: 4
Battlefield:

(UUT) Mountain x3
(UUU) Swamp x3
(UUT) Island x3

Graveyard:Fissure Vent, Baleful Strix, Guard Gomazoa, Echo Mage, , Decree of Pain, Crumbling Necropolis, Swamp. Island, Echo Mage, Armillary Sphere, Opportunity, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Army of the Damned, Evolving Wilds, Mountain, Swamp, Nivix Guildmage, Viseling, Cruel Ultimatum, Izzet Guildgate, Vivid Creek, Curse of Chaos, 3 Temple Bell , Jace’s Archivist, Chrosis's Charm