Come and play with me...

P

Prince RXI

As the 2 that attack Celebrandir start to move, he suddenly dissappear, he used his ring of chameleon powers... his other ring is a ring of elemental command (fire). Then he reappear standing next to the Barkeeper, and a harp leaps into his gloved hand from no where. The glove is a glove of storing:D Celebrandir plays a special song that was taught to him by his mother... a magical lullaby that makes children go to sleep and grownups become calm and at peace.

***oh, and this is a character I made and am using in a real D&D game. And yes, he has all this stuff:D***

R

Rando

**I think your character is a bit too "munchy" for this game. Please try to tone it down. The other players, to be on par with yours, will have to be able to do a bunch of crazy stuff, and that leaves us with a group of super-heros running around. Now, to make it believable, I've got to use super-villains...something this local mob is not.

So, I could easily say something like...

Gerald transforms into a huge Dragon, his massive head crashing thorugh the ceiling. He polymorphs ten of the locals into armoured warriors with +5 Unholy Swords of Slaying, and then breaths fire at you...

To which you can retort...

I cast Dragon Charm and make Gerald my friend, and then ride him through the town setting everything on fire...

And then I can counter with...

The hand of God himself seizes you from the sky and smites you...

And you can then go...

Ah! But you forgot my Anti-Smiting Shield, which is always on and is powered by the life force of 10,000 demons, who I now summon to my side and march to war against Heaven...

And that's no fun, is it?**

P

Prince RXI

***What are the levels of everyone??? Celebrandir is a bard level 4, sorcerer level 5... making him a level 9 in total. meaning that someone like this comes along 1 out of every 1,000,000,000 *might be different because of the multi-classing, but I don't know.* If you have a problem with him, I could change him someway.***

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** I consider him about level 2 or low three, based on his one past successful adventure and abortion of another :) **

R

Rando

**Lets just say that in my 9th level game that I'm currently running in the real world, no one can do what you just did.

Really, I'm not going on levels at all. You're just a group of guys, some expierienced in adventuring, some with some magic. You're all more powerfull then your average guy, but not superheros.

Use your judgement, but also go by what the other players are doing as a guideline as well. I did not like the monical thing either, but if all it does is just blast rays, then that's cool. But I gotta say, your giving yourself a few too many rather powerfull magic items, there. That unbalances the game, and makes the oher players have to find a way to compensate or else be left at the wayside.

I've always thought that magic in a D&D game should be rare and special. How can it remain fantastic if everyone and thier brother knows at least a few cantips? I could go on a rant here on the treatment of magic in RPG's and whether the PC's should be normal guys or super-men, but it does not belong here...***

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** I think it depends on what D&D/fantasy world you're playing. I always think of a typical D&D world as being used to "petty" magic and spellcasters but magic items and more powerful effects and spells are pretty rare (like a CHR+6 item? +3 is what I consider rare in itself).

Of course, then you have those worlds where perhaps magic is rare and any spellcaster is viewed with awe or suspicion. It just depends on you... :) **

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Niril Ducks under the stool, punches Gerald in the gut, and smiles at Dorgath

"I was just bluffing, I wasn't really going to kill him, I just wanted him to shut up so I could get back to my reading...at the very least this made things more exciting"

Niril smiles again, and attempts to cast a skeletal warrior

M

MrXarvox

**Actually, Pally's monocle is not magic at all. It's a mana-channelling device used by the mages of the August school. All of his more powerful spells will seem to have their epicenters in it. Also, any of these 'more powerful' spells will knock him out for a while, usually until someone gives him some alcohol. Magic takes a toll on the old bones, as he would say.**

Pally lies still and unconscious, oblivious to the guy coming at him with a broken bottle. He's dreaming about dancing with the faeries.

P

Prince RXI

***I guess I forgot something else. My song takes about 10 minutes to play, and only after it is finished does anyone get effected by it.***

Celebrandir continues to play.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I attempt to evade the thrown flasks first, of course, and then I survey the situation. As it seems none of the locals has drawn steel, and it seems like swinging this huge sword around in a crowded bar during a bar brawl wouldn't be too wise, I re-sheath the blade and join in the general melee, being careful not to attack anyone who hasn't at least threatened me first.

Brawls are fun I think, as I enter the fray...:D

**That's kinda' what I figured, Rando, which is why I made my sword an "interesting" sword, and left it up to you to elaborate from there, instead of simply declaring it a +5 Defender Sword, or some such, and painting you into a corner, story-wise, in the process.**

**Is "munchy" a real word in that context? ;) **

B

BigBlue

Whilst the barroom brawl continues, a new Stranger enters the room. He stands about 6' 3" and wears a royal Blue robe with Silver trim. The robe is inlaid with Silver threads in various shapes and designs, none of which you recognize. He is hooded and ominous looking. He gracefully avoids the fray as he makes his way across the room. In his hand is an 8 Foot staff topped with a Large Blue stone which glows softly.

He looks to be aprising the situation, deciding on his next move.

Finally he raises his staff and begins gesturing. The hair on the back of your neck stands on end. And you see sparks dance across the floor towards him. The Stone at the end of his staff shines more brightly now as he is about to release a spell.

*Low-level mage (elementalist of Lightning - Between Fire and Air)
Blue stone is just regular stone enchanted with a continual light
which can be adjusted to at most Torchlight or as little as candle-
light. The hair thing is a weakness of his, it alerts all within 30'
of an impending spell. Sparks are the same. I created this mage
type in 2nd ed. using Spells & Magic and used the extra points
for extra abilities. Edited to remove signature and add more
flavor.

R

Rando

**RANDO'S GAMER'S DICTIONARY

Munchkin - noun...A gamer who exploits the rules to his or her bigest advantage, ie: one who sucks the marrow from the rules, grabbing and scrounging for every last "plus 1" and bonus possible with little regard for story, flavor or realism.

Munchkinism - noun...The act or state of being a munchkin.

Munchy - adjective...being as or of a munchkin; having a munchkin-like quality.

No one's ever heared this term before? **

To all players -
The brawl continues, with everyone getting a few scrapes and bruises in the process.

None of the locals produce real weapons...they all use fisticuffs or improvised clubs made from table or chair legs.

But, they all fight with a bitter determination, even through they are out matched.

The fight goes on, when suddenly, an animated skeleton appears amoung the combatants in a puff of purple smoke!

The locals yelp and gasp, and most bolt for the door...but some are stuck in place, terrified by the walking dead.

Soon the tavern has cleared out, with only you all, the bartender, and two local farmers remining. The farmers and practiclly wetting themselves in fear.

"You...ya...you all ha-have ta go. I...I don't want n-no foul magics l-like this in 'ere..." says the bartender, peeking over the counter.

As soon as the bartender finishes speaking, the bard song is comlplete, and the bard now has 2 farmers and a tavern keeper under his charms...

R

Rando

**BigBlue- sorry, missed your post. Will get ya next time and welcome aboard**

B

BigBlue

** no problem as long as I'm not responsible for the animate dead. :D sadly I was hoping to have the same effect, clearing out the locals and ending the brawl. oh well.

M

MrXarvox

Pally groans and stirs a little.

*Someone's got to wake him up, preferably with a shot of something strong*

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Niril wipes a bead of sweat from his forehead

"Well that worked pretty well"

Niril grabs some whiskey from behind the bar, and forces a shot of it into Pally's mouth

"didn't mean to cause so much trouble"

Niril smiles, takes out a black hooded cloak from his bag, and wraps it around the undead warrior

"Perhaps this will keep others from running away"

M

MrXarvox

"Oi! I bet 'em , didn't I? Oooooo... My eye..."

Pally gets up somewhat dizzily and sees the few left petrified villagers.

"Yow! They're more scared o' me than I thought!"

B

BigBlue

The hair on the back of your neck lies back down as you see the Stranger in blue compose himself again.

"Well met, my dark skinned friend." To Niril

"Are you the August Mage I've heard tell about?" To Pally

"Barkeep, How's about a round for the Troupe?" As he slaps a few gold on the bar.

"Pull up a stool." To Dorgath

"You too." To Morgoth

"Are you old enough to drink?" To Roderick

"Brave Sir Knight, have an ale" To Tyresius

"Sing us a song" To Celebrandir

"Did I hear you were on your way to Radafel? Sounds exciting. Oh, by the way I am Vertioch the Blue." He pulls his hood off and reveals himself to be a half-elf whose skin has a pale bluish tint.