COK preview cards

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm wondering what effects this wall thing has, other than changing the Oracle text on tons of cards for no reason other than, well, for no discernable reason...

I know it makes the cool casual combo of Donate + Conspiracy (naming Walls) powerless. What else does it do?

M

Mikeymike

I don't have a problem with the Wall rule. Its goofy as all hell, but I understand why they are doing it and why they are doing it now.

My question, are creatures with the "Defender" ability from here on out going to be the creature type Wall, or will they be a different creature type with the Defender ability?

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Mikeymike
I don't have a problem with the Wall rule. Its goofy as all hell, but I understand why they are doing it and why they are doing it now.

My question, are creatures with the "Defender" ability from here on out going to be the creature type Wall, or will they be a different creature type with the Defender ability?
Probably not... They'll try something like a militia or some other named card and make it have defender...

Wait till they allow us to target a creature and give it the Defender ability... Now there will be a nice smack in the face.

N

Notepad

Yeah, it'll be funny to see a one-mana Pacifism that just reads "Enchanted creature gains Defender" and the like.

I could see something like pacifist monks or whatnot having the ability. Makes sense for use with non-walls.

But, if they limit it only to walls, then its just silly. No reason to errata all the walls in the game if all they're doing is using it for walls. They need to make this change count, and to do so means using Defender on more things.

If only they did this earlier...then maybe stupid Akroma woulda had Defender, as she seems to have every keyword out there. ;) :D Oh hell I wish it were so. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never been killed by Akroma. I was attacked by her once. The guy Exhumed her--then I Torched HIM for 28 or so...

The protection from red thingy didn't help so much there...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I don't play enough or as much as you guys do, but I don't see the big deal.

Legends change - doesn't affect me much as I've already stated that my group doesn't play with a whole lot of legends.

Walls change - same thing.

You guys can of course rant and rave all you want, that's what this forum is for, but there probably is data showing people get walls confused all the time, ever since 4th ed. Same with the old Legends ruling. And dislike it you may, but Wizards doesn't have to release that data to you or anyone, 'cause it's their game. I'd say your best chance to see their data or their inner workings and thinkings is to get out there on the Pro Tour and make a name of yourself and get hired like all the rest of them have done.

And Nightstalkers, which early cards had "summoning sickness" on them?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Spiderman
And dislike it you may, but Wizards doesn't have to release that data to you or anyone, 'cause it's their game.
I don't think I requested any data...

But if I looked at it that way, I would certainly not be playing the game...

M

Mikeymike

Solid burn card. Will be torture in limited, and I'm sure will find a home into many a constructed deck.

In an arcane deck it reads to the effect of: Whenever you play a spell you may pay 1R, if you do deal 2 damage to target creature or player.

Attachments

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The question is whether there are going to be enough Arcane spells made for these types of cards to work...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, I went back and re-read his post, and now I see how yours makes more sense...

But one thing he brought up stands out to me...

Why "defender"? Why not something that doesn't sound Pokemonish? I mean, it's an aesthetic detail, but a glaring one in some ways...

I'm not sure if it means anything anymore with Oracle texts nowadays, but a lot of old cards used "defending creatures" in their texts...

It would have been easy to use a synonym that didn't have any previous meaning in the game AND one that didn't sound Pokemonish or however you want to say it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me. Personally, I think they're keywording a bit too much...

But honestly, E-L's suggestions don't sound much better
'On-Guard', 'Fortified', 'Immobile', 'Sentry', 'Sentinel', 'Forbidding', 'Impeding'
Maybe we'd have to hear some words from Aaron about how they came up with the Defender keyword...

E

Ephraim

I'm looking forward to imprinting an Arcane spell on an Isochron Scepter, so I can repeatedly splice Glacial Ray to it. If the rules are modified at all so that both parts of an Arcane + Splice spell can have the same target, it'd even work with 2 Glacial Rays. Maybe there'll be a cheap, instant, arcane card drawer...I suppose I can always dream. That'd be a sweet U/R deck. Arcane card drawer, Glacial Ray, and Fire & Ice, all available for use with Isochron Scepter.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Oversoul
The question is whether there are going to be enough Arcane spells made for these types of cards to work...
At least 16, as mentioned in the article...

R

Reverend Love

Wow, looks like COK will penetrate every niche of magic. I'm virtually gushing with excitement. I'm all about a new set's deep penetration in magic.

Couldn't resist.

M

Mikeymike

Oooo, I'll definitely try that out in my aggro flip deck. That thing is neat.

R

Rooser

I think they justified the Defender bit quite enough already: it's not a matter of clarity on the cards with defender, it's a matter of simplicity on cards like Unnatural Selection and Imagecrafter. The fact that rules baggage accompanies certain creature types inherently complicates other cards when it shouldn't. They're printing reminder text on every wall anyway, so it's not like this change makes things more complicated there, and as for legends, it does seem silly that one can use Unnatural Selection to add "uniqueness" toa creature until end of turn. Considering they use the legendary super-type for everything else, it really makes sense that the creatures follow suit.