COK preview cards

T

train

okay - am I wrong in thinking that blue just got a major card here in type 1 and 1.5...

:rolleyes:

I

Istanbul

Orim's Chant and Counterspell had a baby, and they called it Time Stop.

Stops Obliterate.
Counters activated abilities on the stack. (Ravage THIS!)
Steals a draw if played during their upkeep.
Acts as a Fog if played during combat.
Instantly heals your creatures.
Keeps the number of counters you have to play in a turn down to one.

It may be a very expensive toolbox...but what a toolbox!

T

train

thank you for emphasizing my point there isty...

Blue stinks...:rolleyes:

O

orgg

Ultimate.Counterspell.

This is one in the leagues of Flicker(if Flicker was an Instant!).

Simply Perfect. I've GOT to get one for my Psycho Battle deck, now... GOT to. Too bad it'll be expensive online, and MOL STOLE ONE OF MY BATTLES, the BUG RIDDEN THING!

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Oversoul
When I said why, I didn't mean it in that way. I mean that there's no call for it. There was not a problem with wordings for vigilance" "haste" "fear" etc. the ways they had been before, and shortening it to a word then adding reminder text isn't necessary. You could try to make an argument for the keywords taking up less space (the reminder text thing sort of ruins that, but it doesn't always have to be there or something). Still, there doesn't seem to be a point to the keyword thing. I didn't like it to begin with. It doesn't cause any mechanical problems, I suppose, but that is a reason that making keywords might not be problematic. It is not a reason to use them...
Strictly a logistics issue. The first time "Vigilance" appears on a piece of cardboard, the reminder text goes on to let you know what this new keyword actually does the first time around. Documentation of sorts. For every other set from here on out, the reminder text goes away, like it has with Haste and Fear.
Regarding Time Stop........WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!?!!?!

I hate that card already. It is the devil. I officially hate blue again.

N

Nightstalkers

Time Stop = "Nice combo... Erm... NO! HA HA HA HA HA!!!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it'll be interesting to see it's impact in Vintage and Type 1.5 where it might be able to come out more easily. It just looks like a "good" card in Standard right now (without seeing anything else in COK :) )

N

Notepad

This is an absolute wrecking ball in casual. I keep ranting about this "you need to be prepared"...but with this thing, how do you possibly prepare for THIS?!? Only thing you can do to stop it is countermagic, and that is all.

When pressured, blue mages can pay 6 mana for a counterspell. I've seen them pay four and five, even in tourney environments. Six ain't gonna be too much more of a crunch, especially when its the toolbox Istunbul just explained it was.

It is the ultimate counterspell to anything. Combos? Attacks? Upkeeps? Damage? ANYTHING? Just drop Time Stop and go on with your safe butt. This is a hideous mockery of the game. Six mana is far too low. Personally, I woulda treated this more along the lines of Fist of Krosa or Future Sight, and cost this sucker at 3UUUU. Force it hardcore blue, which is hard in casual, and pump up that price by one more mana.

N

Notepad

Now, this guy is pretty nifty. Though he costs five, he is actually useful in a Relentless Rats deck since he gives them the fear evasion.

Looks like we were right to speculate a rat lord. Looks like we were totally wrong on how to make it interact with Relentless Rats.

Though, his token generation doesn't go too well with them. More for other rat decks, it seems.

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Holy crap. A creature that can generate infinite rats with a simple intruder alarm and two starting rats? This thing is freaking awesome.

As far as time stop goes, am I missing something here? Sure your opponent loses a turn, including freaking draw, but there are such things as counterspells to counter it. Unless I am freaking reading it wrong, it can be countered, and to even get it off you'll probably need some counter magic to support it in case of some of their own. Sixth turn possiblity is going to need FoW as support, and even then you are up against their sixth turn mana supply too, or however early you try to go off. Six mana is more than enough to sufficently weaken the card, if not too much. It can see it being played still, but it isn't freaking revolutionary. It needs too much support to ensure it going off.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow, these COK cards are looking powerful. For the creatures at least, the excuse is that the new legend rule weakens them. The only way for that to be true is if you're in a mirror match...

N

Nightstalkers

Looks like everyones going to have rat problems in T2 soon.

Better call the pest exterminator.

N

Notepad

Looks like my copies of Clone and Pyroclasm will find a few real good uses in Kamigawa block. :D :D :D

I hope y'all dumped yer Clamps for Clones already. Clone, as Alongi said, is gonna be a major trump card. Who knew blue would end up with good creature kill? :rolleyes:

H

Homestar

Well gentlemen, it looks like Kamigawa should be fun

and guess what suckers!!!!!

I JUST ORDERED A COK TOURNAMENT PACK BOX!!!!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!!!

And every time i get strasight A's in school, my mom buys me a boster box.

T

train

I like that card... not to crazy on the rats one, but it would actually need 3 rats to generate infinite rats - 2 would only replace the one you sacrificed... and leave you with 2...