COK preview cards

M

Mikeymike

Yosei is frightening. That can pretty easily be an ugly lockdown. I'm thinking Dawn of the Dead and Goblin Bombardment. Another reason to run Duplicant in every deck I own.

If your opponent is scared of its leave-play ability, it is still a 5/5 flyer for 6 along that has some strong tribal ties. Not bad even at its weakest.

T

train

Just for Yosei...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

here it comes...

Lifeline...

Altar of dementia, Sneak Attack, etc...

After lifeline, the rest is icing...

N

Nightstalkers

Oh my Baa! God! That Kaw! card is so Roar! psycho! Holy Bing! mother of Zing! Bong! Shimy-Whimy! Hoolah! Cough! Stop! Curse Oink! Moo! God...

Kondo is so Oink! evil if it can be put out really fast.

I

Istanbul

Great. *sigh*
I had been hoping that indestructible would be a Darksteel-only ability, as I hate the mechanic.

N

Notepad

I concur, Istanbul. While interesting flavor-wise, it is a total headache for the casual players. I've ranted about the fact that casual players have to pack removal for mean broken-in-casual cards. Now, indestructible means all that preparation has to be even more narrow. Sigh...

E

Exaulted_Leader

Really? I like the Indestructible keyword ability.

It gave the T1 multiplayer games I frequent a really new dynamic when a Vengeance or Disk didn't suddenly reset the game.

And, so long as we're talking about creatures, they're still nailed by the good removal cards - indestructible or not (Swords, Edict, Counterspell, Stack, etc).

N

Notepad

I really hate cards like this, because it encourages played to avoid combat, which is a huge part of the game. If you ain't packing evasion, this stuff totally messes with ya.

This card, combined with the dragons "don't kill me" aspect, plus the new bushido ability...really make me think this set wants players to avoid blocking entirely. No combat, all avoiding and evading. How silly in a creature-heavy set.

T

train

I like that card...

You know what I'm going to do with it...

Fling,
Altar of Dementia,
etc...

M

Mikeymike

Hmm, Angels Trumpet could make that interesting. Possibly.

Never a Righteousness fan though, but this is an interesting card for draft. I'm quite fond of it for draft actually, b/c it is a skill-tester card. Timed right and it can be devastating.

I don't think it discourages creature combat for a couple of reasons. First is that it is a rare, so it isn't like it is going to be dominating multiple draft decks. Second, the set in general already appears to have an under-lying theme of creature combat and effects during creature combat, and this only adds to that.

E

Ephraim

Vigilance has been the unofficial nickname of "attacking does not cause ~this~ to tap" for quite a while now. They keyworded Haste and Fear and this is just as much a part of the game as either of those.

M

Mikeymike

Vigilance = Yay!

Next on my wish-list of keyworded abilities:

* This creatue cannot be the target of spells or abilities (Immune?)
* You may have this creature deal its combat damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked
* Target player loses X life, you gain X life (Leaning towards 'Drain', though 'Syphon would be kind of cool)
* ...may be played as an instant
* Place X cards from your library into your graveyard (Mill)
* Draw X cards, discard X cards

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
keyword ability - "Draw-Go"...

draw them up, and watch them go...
Just call it gettin' drunk...

You drink in a few cards, only to vomit them back up again.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
When I said why, I didn't mean it in that way. I mean that there's no call for it. There was not a problem with wordings for vigilance" "haste" "fear" etc. the ways they had been before, and shortening it to a word then adding reminder text isn't necessary. You could try to make an argument for the keywords taking up less space (the reminder text thing sort of ruins that, but it doesn't always have to be there or something). Still, there doesn't seem to be a point to the keyword thing. I didn't like it to begin with. It doesn't cause any mechanical problems, I suppose, but that is a reason that making keywords might not be problematic. It is not a reason to use them...