• Hacksaw parade! Pies for sale here!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zippety-bee Tralala-leebop-shoowop

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

DÛke

Spiderman:

I challenge you now: where did I say "with my covers" that you were immature and pathetic because you thought rape wasn't wrong? I believe I called your "Waa haa" response that, not you.
Correct me if I'm wrong -- if you're calling my opinion pathetic or immature, than you certainly are refering to me, since it is *my* opinion. I still with-hold to my response of "Waa haa" -- why -- because nobody offered a better or worse response. All that was said is that rape is wrong and bad -- I already know that...
Spiderman:

Though the question: "What's wrong with raping" and immediately following it with a comparison to murder implies that you don't think it very wrong to begin with. Otherwise, there is no need for such a statement and comparison to begin with.
Here's exactly what I said:
Myself:

And what's wrong with raping? Not as bad as murder, at least, wouldn't you think?
Key sentence: "Not as bad as murder, at least, wouldn't you think?" -- now look at the whole sentence. It is my opinion that rape is not as bad as murder, and I kindly even ask "wouldn't you think?" Some, have given a proper response, such as rape is way worse than murder -- that I can look into and respect, even be able to agree with in some cases. However, other responses that are more like personal analysis of me ("uneducated", "idiot") are unwelcomed. Name callings and such...are very unwelcomed in my playground; no.

My opinion is as clear as the sun: rape is wrong and bad, but I've seen worse. So simple. I dare you to quote me on a statement that contradicts that simple opinion. I've never said anything different...in fact, I've been repeating myself for so many posts now. Heck, this very post is a repeat of things I've already said...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong -- if you're calling my opinion pathetic or immature, than you certainly are refering to me, since it is *my* opinion
I am hereby correcting you. A person can make many statements, some pathetic and immature, some not. It goes along the sentiment of "I will disagree with your opinion, but defend your right to express it"; in other words, separating out that the opinion is not necessarily tied to the person making it (or if you prefer, you can think of the phrase "It's business, not personal). If you can't recognize that I might think your statement is pathetic and immature while you yourself are not, then there's no use exhanging views, period.

The statement that would have expressed what you're trying to say would be more along the lines of "Rape is wrong but not as bad as murder." By leading with 'What's wrong with rape", you question it's wrongness entirely. Following it with "Not as bad as murder" is really irrelevant. You could say "What's wrong with stealing? Not as bad as murder" and it has the same impact. But (hopefully) people can recognize that stealing is not really in the same class as rape and murder. The latter are two different crimes but at the same level.

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

I am hereby correcting you...
I'm glad you said that, because...
Myself:

And what's wrong with raping? Not as bad as murder, at least, wouldn't you think?
Why wasn't I simply corrected here? Why did I get so many mixed reactions? The statement, in its own nature, should tell you that I myself am not that sure in the first place, hence the "wouldn't you think?" I'm simply stating "And what's wrong with raping? Not as bad as murder..." to give off my opinion, which is: to me, murder is worse than rape. All that, and still we have, if you read the sentence keeping its gestalt nature in mind, you wouldn't have had any problems with it...and yes, it is a very gestalt statement...in fact, I could take almost anything anyone says and break it into parts, and we'll get so many different meanings. I am the person who this quote that you seem to dislike so much...and I am hereby telling you to observe its gestalt nature.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why should you be corrected? It was around your first post, hence I would think most readers took it to be your opinion )and probably the storm of criticism that followed was meant to be your "correction").

The reason why you got so many mixed reactions is because of it's uncaring tone. To you, as the author, it might have seemed clear, but it should be evident from the storm of "disagreement" that it wasn't. The way you describe may have sounded that way to you and what you actually meant, but that's not what came across to most everyone else.

Hence, and this is not meant to sound condescending because Lord knows I do it myself, especially in real life (or so my wife tells me :) ), but it's important to see how others might view your words as they don't have telepathy to glean what you may have actually meant :)

As I said above, there was a better way of expressing what you really meant that (I don't think) sounds as uncaring or blase. Obviously it's in hindsight, but it's just one of the dangers of writing on The Net.

D

DÛke

...I respect these posts:
Hetemti:

I see rape as worse than murder. With murder, its done and over with. With rape, not only is the memory, possible scaring, and emotional damage permanant, there's also the prospect of STD/AIDS, and in some cases, having to choose either abortion or birthing the spawn of her assailant.
And...
Mr.X:

Rape is SO much worse than murder.

Murder is most often a crime of elimination- the murderer doesn't often kill for FUN. A murderer kills, usually, to get rid of someone that jeopardizes his/her well-being, be it an enemy or a witness. A murder victim doesn't have to live with the scars. They get on with whatever's beyond the veil.

Rape, on the other hand, is comitted out of sheer brutality and hate. Those who do it, do it because they hate women, and as it was stated before, rape leaves severe psychological scars that almost never heal. Imagine not being able to have sex without recalling something horrible that someone did to you.

As for Columbus, he was just like any other jerk of the time period. Any other European sailor would have done the same thing. It was common practice.

Columbus got his punishment for it, though. Death by Syphilis.
Then we have something like:
Rando:

DUke, you have proven your stupidity, youth, and ignorence with that post. Read a book and learn a little more about the aspects of life you know nothing about before you post such uneducated drivel.
I disregarded this post because it was more like a personal analysis of me rather than a correction to my so called "stupidity" and "ignorence." It was more like a direct attack...and nothing more.

Other responses, like:
Arhar:

Yet another pearls of wisdom from my best buddy Duke.

Apparently, rape is a lot less important than murder, and most women get over it. After all, it's just sex - hey, might as well relax and try to enjoy yourself?

You sick, ignorant piece of oink.
That...I can respect *more* than Rando's response. He simply stated his opinion of me, and was *not* telling me who I am, like Rando's above quote. See, in this case, I respect Arhar a lot more...way more than *I* even expect of myself.

Another response was, Almindhra's:
Almindhra:

I cannot believe what I'm reading...I cannot believe this...Possibly, if you, Duke, were a woman, you would consider rape something more than just, I don't know, however you're claiming it not to be something devestating in a woman's life...I hope this isn't one of your sick, S&M sh*t, that women want to be raped or something (yes, I have heard that out of someone's mouth before)...Rape is something that leaves physical and emotional scares...And did you ever think, that for married or dating women, some husbands will leave them because now their wife is "dirty" and has been "used" by some other man...And how about when a woman becomes pregnant from rape?...Either an abortion, which should not be the answer, or having the baby is an option...Now lets just say she doesn't put it up for adoption, do you know how hard it would be to look at that baby, and try to feel love for it, while you're looking at a part of your rapist's flesh and blood?...Sexual crimes, really against anyone, are terrible, and I truly feel sorry for it's victims...

You really underestimate the effects of rape, Duke...I hope now everyone truly sees what an idiot this kid is...
For the first time, I thought I was going to respect Almindhra's opinion, because truely, it was her opinion -- I respect mostly all opinions. However, you see that bold part at the bottom of the quote? That took the whole seriousness of Almindhra's reply, and just made it another shameless attack at me. However, I still respect her response more than I respect Rando's.

Mr.X and Hetemti's responses are what I call the *normal* responses, because they actually stated their opinion exactly as I did, without insulting anyone, exactly as I had done. No needless name-calling, and none of that premature action. *Those* are the replies I can consider into my argument, because they were serious without the flaws. You want me to listen, state your opinion and argue like a mature person...otherwise, I will be the a**hole that I am.

So in response to your latest, Spiderman:
Spiderman:

Why should you be corrected? It was around your first post, hence I would think most readers took it to be your opinion )and probably the storm of criticism that followed was meant to be your "correction").

The reason why you got so many mixed reactions is because of it's uncaring tone. To you, as the author, it might have seemed clear, but it should be evident from the storm of "disagreement" that it wasn't. The way you describe may have sounded that way to you and what you actually meant, but that's not what came across to most everyone else.

Hence, and this is not meant to sound condescending because Lord knows I do it myself, especially in real life (or so my wife tells me :)), but it's important to see how others might view your words as they don't have telepathy to glean what you may have actually meant :)

As I said above, there was a better way of expressing what you really meant that (I don't think) sounds as uncaring or blase. Obviously it's in hindsight, but it's just one of the dangers of writing on The Net.
I didn't realize that I would create such a "storm," because seemingly from Hetemti's response, I thought I was just gonna get some simple opinions, just a wind breeze, not a storm. Mr. X's response was just an opinion too...just a gust of wind...no storm here. The storm comes in, if you notice, with the people that I usually make storms with -- that tells me that, although it may have had seriousness in it, it was also seen as a chance to storm at me yet another time. I really don't care though, some people are meant to hold on, and some will always live in black and white. Look back and figure out who's who...so easy to tell...

Everything is hip though, as long as we got this resolved now, I hope. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize Rando was one of those who usually "storms" with you.

And while it's true that those might have "butt heads" with you in the past, I see them, or at least Almindhra, having a bit more stake in the conversation. And I'm guessing Rando might have had some experience in the area, whether it be personal or through work or something. So while I agree that the personal attacks were unwarranted, I'm not really surprised that they would have taken stronger issue with your statements.

And I notice that Hetemti politely refused to further discuss the issue with you, probably having formed an opinion based on your views :p

D

DÛke

...only are those "attacks" unwarranted, but they also make it harder to communicate properly with that "attacker." And look -- how many people did this resolve with? Um...none? Maybe just you...the point is, once you stop thinking about the subject and start taking shots at a person, than you've already crossed the line of being able to argue, because you let the past and/or your emotions get in the way. And I somewhat agree that Almindhra, at least in this thread, had made more sense to me since a long, long, long time ago. Though, I must admit, that girl's opinion was 307% degraded because of her shot at me...

Well, you stayed, you argued...and we at least reached an ending point. Rando says there's no use arguing with me -- I think he's just a fast quitter that can't argue much in the first place...

:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you know me. I tend to stick it out until the end (which I thought was a while ago anyway until Multani decided to post).

Maybe those others pretty much agree with what I'm saying and just let me be their "spokeperson" :)

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

Maybe those others pretty much agree with what I'm saying and just let me be their "spokeperson" :)
<laughs>

Or maybe, *just maybe*, they know that, realistically, they can't prove me wrong while *at the same time* prove themselves to be right? :p Almindhra came pretty darn close...but...not that close at all. :D It's a paradox...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure this is a type of thing that can be "proved"... it's maybe more a matter of convincing.

A

Almindhra

You know, a person can state something that pretty much has the same effect as, well this is a done subject, and lets put it to rest...But then that someone has to talk about you over and over and over again...It really irritates me...And don't give me this, I've made more sense to you in a long time...This is the one of the few threads where I have come out and addressed you about an issue...Yet again, you seem to think I "attack" you on every thread that you try to put your opinion to...Sure, whatever you'd like to think...But all you like to do is try to use big words and do backflips around a subject so the reader gets confused, doesn't know what the topic of the whole conversation was to begin with, and then maybe possibly agrees with you...

So once again I will say after all this, this is my invisible wall...You do not exist to me anymore...

And Spiderman, good job man, you're the best!...:p...

D

DÛke

<laughs> Big words!? Oh my God! I just will not say anything about that! <laughs some more>

And if anyone gets confused, it's you. Spiderman got it. He didn't change his opinion and I didn't change mine. I don't think he's confused, and I certainly am not. He, just knows something called "communication," and let's hope you don't think that's a big word.

In any event, I don't need an "invisible wall" nor do I need to hide myself from you...if you say something important, I'll notice it. Other than that, you're just another persona on the net that, for all I know, is non existant...

And Spiderman, man, you *are* the best. :p

A

arhar

Originally posted by DÛke

<laughs>

Or maybe, *just maybe*, they know that, realistically, they can't prove me wrong while *at the same time* prove themselves to be right? :p Almindhra came pretty darn close...but...not that close at all. :D It's a paradox...;)
How CAN I prove you wrong, even if I wanted to? I know you're just not going to get it, because you're stubborn as a brick wall and never change your opinion... But the same thing can be said about me as well, so I came to conclusion that our arguments, having stopped being mildly amusing, are not really serving any purpose anymore :) But don't assume you won because I've stopped posting in this thread :D

However, you do deserve props for sticking to your guns (no matter how wrong these "guns" are) when no one's agreeing with you.

D

DÛke

Arhar:

However, you do deserve props for sticking to your guns (no matter how wrong these "guns" are) when no one's agreeing with you.
And you, too, deserve props for keepin' it real man...just staright forward with exactly what you think of me, "a sick piece of oink," none of that "uneducated" nonsense...just keepin' it real...:)

And I don't think I won at all. Spiderman is not agreeing with me -- no one is. Hey, it's my opinion though...nobody changed it, so it'll stay...

And you're stubborn!? Nah uh, you don't say!!! Shocking!!! :)