Cantrip?

• Thread starter SerraPlainswalker
  • Start date
I

Istanbul

In fact, unless I draw a Dark Ritual within my first 10 cards, it's a dead draw. It'll sit there in my hand doing nothing. Whereas countermagic is *always* helpful.

I

Istanbul

Puke freely, then, but I'm still right.

(BTW, when did I get over the 500-post mark? Yikes...)

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

Break it up guys. Let's face it, each color is different, and each color has it's drawbacks. Blue will never survive without counter power, just like red will never survive without burn.

DUke, Counterspell, and all the like components for Blue are necessary for Blue inorder to win, but I'm sure there a couple of decks that doesn't need the counter power.

Istanbul, Dark Ritual is really important for Black. Yes, Black can live without it> Heck, Black can even dominate without it, but come on, Dark Ritual has always been a standard card, just like Counter Spell, Lighting Bolt, and Disenchant: any bannings of these cards will cause the color followers to be mad, it's just natural. Counterspell is just as important as Dark Ritual.

Now, for the banning of Dark Ritual, I kind of agree with it, but, can't they come up with a substitue? Hey, I'm sure R&D are slaking these days, but not to the point of not having the ability to creatre a new, less powerful, Dark Ritual.

Black and Blue, not enemys in Magic, but enemys on these boards, and by the way, I'm sorry if what I said isn't good enough for anyone, I'm only the Guy from the other post :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think someone already mentioned a bunch of them but there's plenty of substitutes... Culling the Weak and Lake of the Dead come to mind. Heck, you could probably use Blood Pet... there are a lot of alternatives.

S

SerraPlainswalker

ok seing as how in some way i started this whole argument and therefore should also get involved in it. Black does not need rituals...as well as blue does not need countermagic...yes they are both very useful..but not nessesary. in fact i actually went to an exteded tourney the other day and was debating over what deck to play..it was between a black reanimator..(which did not use rituals) and a blue control deck( by control i mean litteraly control..not counter..i mean control magic...treachery etc..) they both worked well...so in the end i finally combined the two decks and made a blue black deck that does not use counters or rituals. just good ol fashioned beat em down with their own creatures deck :)
and i actually won third with the deck only losing to a necro(the guy had lotus and moxen for cryin out loud) and a mono black recursion that just got lucky and animated all the creatures before i could...
there that settles the dispute

T

TheGuyFromTheOtherPost

...I know Black has alternatives. Blood Pet is the best thing I could see IMO. Black doesn't need Ritual to win, but it's been a standard card, that's all.