Cantrip?

• Thread starter SerraPlainswalker
  • Start date
S

SerraPlainswalker

hey, does anyone know what the word cantrip mean? i see it everywhere...

M

Multani

Cantrip technically means little tricks.
In Magic, it's a card that let's you draw a card after you play the spell.

T

theorgg

Not nessisarily drawing you another card--just giving back a resource that was used to cast it. most say "draw another card" or "draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep" or "when ---- comes into play, draw a card".

other versions of "cantrips" are the things like Priest of Gix and Great Whale that give back the mana they were cast with.

Z

Zadok001

Doesn't that make Icatian Moneylender (I think that's the name, Fallen Empires guy who took three life when you played him, and payed you back eventually?) a cantrip? I hate calling him anything even vaguely related to Wall of Blossoms... Bleh.

"And now, for the worst play of the tourney, I give you, 'Attack with the 0/3'."

D

DÛke

Cantrips are all good cards, since like someone mentioned, they give you a partial resource feedback.
They say that Cantrips are coming back in Invasion, and I hope thats true. I have always wanted a Cantrip Disenchant or a Cantrip Dark Ritual, but WOTC never made one. I really want one.

Imagin:
Witch Ritual BB
Instant
Add 3 to your mana pool.
Draw a card at the begging of your next upkeep step.

Wouldn't that be nice?

T

theorgg

actually DR and co are already cantrips...
'cept bolt and Giant BROKEN Growth.

and Zadok, yes, by the definition in the duelist of cantrip, Ication Moneychanger would be a cantrip after one turn of being in play...
If you count life as a resource needed to play the card.
and he's 0/2, not 0/3.
still not bad...

Z

Zadok001

I hated that guy. He sits there, saying "BOLT ME!" at the top of his lungs while he gains counters... Now, if he could be sacked at ANY time, I'd play him without hesitation... But God, I loathed that guy. :) I think someone Bolted mine once with about thirty counters on him, and that's where my 'phobia arises from. You have it admit, it's justified... :)

T

theorgg

why didn't you sack him in responce?

Erratta is a good thing, somtimes...

just like the Talorian Acadamy having no text in one of the Oracle editions...
along with wall of wood...

I

Istanbul

Duke - Ummmm...no. First of all, black doesn't need ANOTHER Ritual. Secondly, the only BAD thing about Dark Ritual was the loss of card advantage; remove that, and you have a truly broken card.

D

DÛke

Istanbul-Ummmm...no. First of all, black does need ANOTHER Ritual. Secondly, the only BAD thing about Dark Ritual was the that it's band in Extended; remove that, and you have a truly playable card.

I

Istanbul

Pardon my humble opinion (or don't), but Dark Ritual never should have been printed. One mana for three? You must never have had a first-turn Hypnotic Specter played on you. Dark Ritual should have provided BB. Dark Ritual DIRELY NEEDED to be banned in Extended; banning it has put the kibosh on a lot of way over-powered combo decks.

Not only does black not need another Dark Ritual, it shouldn't have had the one it has.

D

DÛke

I remember, you like white decks with a lot of removal, Planar Collapse, Wrath of God, Chimereic artifacts, and all those :)

But you I'm a discard-kind of guy, I need to play fast.
Without Dark Ritual, what can black do? Duress and Unmask and that's it. That's pretty mean to do. I want a new Dark Ritual damn it. I like perfroming Rituals, especially Black ones :)

K

krichaiushii

We would always play Icatian Moneychanger with a COP: White to prevent the damage... in retrospect, I think that is probably in violation of some rule, or has been errata'd as a loss of life.

It let you play Fire and Brimstone though, and COP that...

S

SerraPlainswalker

hey did yall ever notice that dark rit was part of a chain of cards just like the laces?
it was the first chain like that ever (besides the moxen...)
they were all 3 for 1 cards
white-healing salve (3 life)
green-giant growth (+3/+3)
black-dark ritual (3 mana)
red-lightning bolt (3 damage)
and finally the card voted the most powerful in all of magic..
blue-ancestral recall (3 cards)

heh...neat little tidbit from my well of knowledge (and yes i was tapped out when i learned that)

I

Istanbul

Okay. Now we're getting into a different realm.
Now your argument shows that it's more of an I-like-this-color-so-I-want-it-to-be-the-strongest thing, whereas mine is more of a Dark-Ritual-inhibits-game-balance thing.

BTW, my deck style of choice is blue...you're just citing Chimeric Wrath, a deck I made up once.

(P.S.: Yes, all you can do first turn is Duress and Unmask. That's MORE than enough.)

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

I love dark rituals. one time i had 4 dark rituals 1 swamp 1 sengir vampire and 1 hyppie in my hand and i played my whole hand but i had to take 1 mana burn. Poor me. Rituals very good.

Z

Zadok001

SerraPlainsWalker:

(NOTE: This is a rant. Period. It's not a nice rant. But it's not supposed to be insulting at all, not to Serra, not to anyone. It's just a question that's been bugging me since the dawn of time. I want an answer, that's all...)

Ok, that's it! I need this cleared up NOW, it's been bugging me since I started playing! Someone explain this to me _now_! :)

You have this cycle of cards that give 3 for 1 advantage in resources. You have Giant Growth. You have Healing Salve. You have Dark Ritual. You have Lightning Bolt. And you have... Ancestral Recall??? No, sorry, doesn't work. All of them are common, except the Recall. Why would the Recall be rare?

'Because it's better?'

No, no, no. If the Recall was meant to be part of that cycle, it would have been common. It's that simple. It was an Alpha cycle, for God's sake. Why would one card be rare and the rest common?

I have stoutly maintained since the day I was first informed of this 'cycle' that Recall is not part of it. Unstable Mutation is. No, it doesn't fit Blue's theme. But it's common, and give 3 for 1. Recall fits two of the three requirements (in theme, 3 for 1, but not common). Unstable fits two of the requirements (3 for 1, common, but not in theme). I believe it is part 5 of this cycle, not Recall.

Anyone care to show me otherwise? Please? (I'll accept someone citing an official source (no, an article by Buhler in the Duelist isn't gonna cut it). I'll also accept someone showing me that I'm off my rocker. But this has been bugging me SO long... Anyone?

"I sound real mad, don't I? I'm not, just confused."

I

Istanbul

Growth, Bolt, Salve, and Ritual were in Alpha.
Unstable Mutation didn't come along until Arabian Nights.
Therefore, the cycle would be broken.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

I agree with you Zadok001 if recall was one of those type of cards it would be common. The next closest thing that would fit would be mind bomb but that uncommon and out of the blueish theme.

D

Duel

Actually, the blue equivalent in Alpha was ANCESTRAL friggin RECALL. Broken? Nah, not ancestral!