Call for Second Singleton Ultimate Draft

B

BigBlue

I would recommend 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4... Since that was the draft order... At least to start us off... Best of 3 is cool.

One final card left... Hmmm... Who will Draft the beloved Pony - if only to show their love... I think if Train were drafting, he'd draft some Coat... He seemed be hooked on it for a long time.

M

Modus Pwnens

Isn't crosspairing the more usual option? I don't want to play melkor :(

B

BigBlue

In a Draft like this? It should be 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc... Because that's "fairest"...

Why make the person who drafted last play the person who drafted first? Theoretically the first person has the best cardpool... It doesn't really matter for this anyways, since it isn't swiss it's round robin... eventually you will play Melkor... :)

It's just one method of pairing people...
1 vs 2, then 3, then 4, then 5...
2 vs 1, then 4, then 5, then 6...
3 vs 4, then 5, then 6, then 7...
4 vs 3, then 6, then 7, then 8...
5 vs 6, then 7, then 8, then 1...
6 vs 5, then 8, then 1, then 2...
7 vs 8, then 1, then 2, then 3...
8 vs 7, then 2, then 3, then 4...

Eventually everyone plays everyone - and it's easy to determine who plays who... you could randomize the players (make a new 1-8)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Aren't we waiting for Ransac to do the pairings?
Does it really matter..... I'll be in last place when it's all over..... if you lose to me, you should be very ashamed.... :D

M

Modus Pwnens

I never thought I would hear anyone other than Ransac say those words :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
:D

Sure we COULD do the traditional pairings, but that would be too...... unimaginative. Remember that everyone will play everyone once.

PLUS (not that it would matter too much), knowing who you play against in the first round may alter your last pick(s). You won't know the pairings until I draft my last card.

No one was skipped in this draft, were they?

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

I don't think anyone was skipped... Given the Number of Rounds - and the amount of players... it's really amazing that after 44 rounds (except Melkor who is drafting his 44th & 45th cards) everyone has 44 cards...

I can only hope that I get decent draws - otherwise I think this deck will go down in flames... it isn't a combo deck, but I do need parts of it to make it successful. Like Mana for one... :)

If we do a 3rd Draft... can we have a Supplemental draft where we can all release one card we don't want and draft replacements? That way we can cut out mistakes - some of which were maybe a part of a combo and someone else grabbed your other parts. it would work like poker - everyone says whether they are going to release, then send a PM to a willing unbiased person of what you are releasing and we draft in order after that our replacements which could come from the released cards. It would let you correct one mistake - or if you thought of a better card you could grab it instead.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hmm.... a supplement idea.... that could work.

Additionally, we could do a "Keeper League" draft, where if all 8 players return, each player keeps a set number of cards (let's say 5-10) from their previous draft.

EDIT: Wait... it's Melkor's turn to draft? That bum has already been online today!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
MP asked during his pick if this was the last round. No, we go 45 rounds. You have 1 more pick

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Or.... One other interesting idea...

If you lose a game - other than the final one in a match, you can release 1 card and draft a new one from undrafted cards as a sideboard card - which can be used the next game. Those announcements would have to be made in this thread - first come first served... as a sort of incentive to finish your games earlier. :)

There would be at most 1 release by a player in a round.

However, that change is permanent and after the round - released cards go back into the pool for other "losers" to grab in later rounds - which could even be yourself...

And my deck is ready by the way...

M

Modus Pwnens

Yea, I'm almost ready as well. I'll be running 41 cards though, as I just can't decide what to cut (I've considered not running Black Lotus, and I'm still not sure if it should be in the deck ;))

B

BigBlue

I have to say this about the Lotus...
In the MtG Shandalar game is the only place I've owned one, I don't find it all that useful unless you get it early - or you have something where you can use a boost later... Otherwise its dead weight.

Just like dark ritual late game w/o a drain life or something to use the boost.
Rit is better since you can run 4, and mostly assure yourself one "early" - not necessarily opening hand.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Lotus is great simply due to the explosivity it can provide turns 1-3. 3 for nothing is not bad at all.

However, in a deck with mainly artifacts, it loses a slight bit of value simply because the "of any color" means less. BUT, I feel it would be foolish to leave the card out.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Melkor

You can just win the game on turn one by putting out something that they can't answer. Definitely worth the problems associated with drawing it late game, and it's not really worse than drawing a land at that time, and sometimes better.

I think BigBlue's suggestion is too radical to be implemented at this late stage, particularly with all the stuff we'd have to come up with to make it work.