Call for booster

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I had to un-install suitcase at work, since my computer was running slow and IT was coming to check on it...... third party soft ware is a no-no here...... I'll get it back soon.

B

BigBlue

I have good news... and bad news...

I completed my Excel Spreadsheet - it works very well. I have all the expansions working - including Planar Chaos as it should...

The Bad news is when I tried uploading it to Google Docs, it didn't load... tried several times and it failed...

They have a 1 MB limit (which I didn't reach)... but they could also have a limit on the number of rows...

The other bad news is I forgot to bring it back to work today (I had yesterday off)...

Mooseman, I know you're an excel wiz, so perhaps you'll be able to tweak it to improve it...

I played with it enough to make a dropdown box for the expansions, I added this feature last - and so I didn't prepare some of the work for this and it uses expansion codes instead of names... I'll change this later as it will require a bit of work to correct... The spreadsheet is fairly user-friendly... to keep the size down I took out some text from the expansions (like rarity since those were only needed to program it and now that it's done I don't really need them)

I'm actually impressed with how well it works.

when I go home for lunch, I'll upload a zipped version here. I'd like to try to make it a functioning Web Page... don't know how to do that, the Save-As function in Excel doesn't quite work as it doesn't allow you to change anything (like expansions - nor does it re-randomize from what it looked like when it was created... the odd thing is the page seems to include all the formulas, but it doesn't allow them to be updated).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I will take a look at it. just do me a favor and document the macro code as much as possible (put in comments that explain what's going on or what variables are to contain).

I did upload one of my deck workbooks to google docs, but there is no macros on google docs, so that part of the file is missing.......

B

BigBlue

I don't use any macros... just formulas...

I locked it, but there's no password, it's just for inadvertant screwups... I need to unprotect some of it so cells can be copied...

Sadly, even zipped it's too large to upload.

The HTML page with most of the info is only 12K, because it's really not that much, but Excel "wastes" space... I'll have to figure out how to get it to work as a web-page...

Drop me your email in a pm and I'll pass it along - same w/ anyone else who wants to look at it/use it.

B

BigBlue

Sent onslaught.

I'll post some instructions later on how to use the spreadsheet for those who want it.

B

BigBlue

I figured out why I couldn't upload the spreadsheet - and corrected it (they only allow 10,000 documents... I adapted it by making more columns so it would work...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pJtFqy9H_vgzAo2LZ7cFObQ&hl=en

This document is fully changeable... unfortunately some things don't work as well on Google Docs as they do in Excel. No Dropdown boxes. Also I can't "lock" cells, they are wide open, so someone could screw it up... I have my own backup in case it gets corrupted.

Use the two letter expansion code (I used the typical codes) on the first page. It takes about 15 seconds to update the screen after you type in the code - be patient.

Look down the sheet for the correct booster composition... eventually I hope to adapt it to show the booster in one place - rather than scrolling to the correct one. At the bottom of the sheet is where the "odd" types show up (Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, and Alliances)

If you want a completely random booster for 15 card rare, 3 uncommon, and 11 commons, you can select the second type... They won't work with the 8 card booster types since they don't contain rare cards. It won't bring in "special" cards from TS and PC.

If the top booster composition lists multiple Random cards (1222###########), you need to use that booster generator. I use that for the expansions with so many non-single color cards where it makes more sense.

Enjoy!

B

BigBlue

I used the standard 2 letter expansion codes... In the Excel version, I actually have a dropdown - by set name, not code... But the Google Docs version doesn't use Data Validation... I'm not sure if they have another way to handle dropdowns.

If you need to look up a code, look at the expansions sheet - that's where it looks them up from.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Whose standard two letter codes? Didn't WOTC switch to 3 somewhere around the Kamigawa block?

I'm just asking because 3 letters obviously offer more room than 2 letters. :)

B

BigBlue

Cuz I'm old school? :)

I didn't know about the 3 letter codes... When they get to 26**2 expansions I guess I'll have to convert. I guess I'll change that next time I update it... If I make it into html, anyone know where I could host it?

B

BigBlue

I'll send them shortly...

btw... I discovered the spreadsheet at the link got hosed up badly and took it down...
I'll be uploading a new one once i've corrected it.

B

BigBlue

Anyone else want to start a series? Two of my opponents seem to never be on...

Mooseman? Rokapoke? Modus?