ByoS: Build your own Standard

B

BigBlue

New format...

Players of this format (7 to 10) will (in random order) select expansions as follows:

1st Player Standalone Set:
2nd Player Expansion:
3rd Player Expansion:
4th Player Core Set:
5th Player Expansion:
6th Player Expansion:
7th Player Standalone Set:

Additional players may replace an earlier choice or leave them as is.

Examples -
Core - Alpha, Beta/UL, Revised, ... X
Standalone Set: Ice Age, Mirage, Tempest, ...
Expansion Set: Legends, Arabian Nights, Homelands, ...

Then, players build a deck using only cards from the chosen sets using these rules - 60 Card Minimum, no more than 4 of any card, and cards must not appear on any banned/Restricted list.

Is this what you were envisioning Ransac? Or did you intend it to be singleton?

Comments, players, etc welcome.

(We'd like to get at least 8 players for a format).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
These rules sound great, with one exception. I'd like to add variety and not just rely on the interactions that one block could create.

I propose the additional rule of: No more than one set per block may be added to the card pool. I.E.: If Prophecy is added, Nemesis and Mercadian Masques are off limits. Coldsnap is considered part of the Ice Age block, while Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, Fallen Empires, and Homelands have no block restriction (due to not being part of a block).

EDIT: I suggest that this format be called "Build OUR own Standard" since everyone gets a say in everyone else's limitations.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

I like that restriction as well... there are enough blocks.

What about the removal rule? I didn't quite know how to handle 8-10 players and felt we wouldn't want more than 7 expansions...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We COULD make it 8 sets to fit a 3-set block + core and a 4-set block (to simulate how it was with Ravnica block + Coldsnap OR the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor double blocks). 8 sets would be MY maximum to want. If more than 8 intend to play, then some players would randomly be selected to not choose a set (sorry).

Removal Rule?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This is an interesting idea. Should the banned list perhaps be any card that was ever banned in Standard?

D

DarthFerret

That would be fine with me, however, if someone has the time and the desire, could they post a list of banned cards? I have a hard time trying to figure out different formats and such.

M

Modus Pwnens

Hmm, I'm not sure, should Urza's Legacy be chosen I definately think Tinker should be banned, yet I don't remember it being banned in standard (or Memory Jar..)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Memory Jar was banned in all formats before Urza's Legacy was able to show itself in a PT. The Memory Jar deck only lasted an Extended PTQ.

I'm actually up for banning all cards that are banned in Standard, Extended and Legacy. I gives us more incentive to think of strategies outside the usual power houses.

So, when someone selects a set, that player should list all of the banned cards that go with that set.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret;280968 said:
That would be fine with me, however, if someone has the time and the desire, could they post a list of banned cards? I have a hard time trying to figure out different formats and such.
As of now, I'm not aware of any repository that keeps track of banned cards that have rotated out of Standard. The same goes for Extended. Block Constructed formats are preserved because they technically still exist as formats, although I don't know of anyone who plays old Block Constructed formats. In principle, it should be possible to build such a list from scratch, as there are sites that note when cards were banned, like Crystal Keep. But that would mean typing in every card from an old set and checking to see if it was banned. I'm sure I can find a less ridiculous approach, possibly using the Wayback Machine...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Doing a bit of digging right now. This is interesting. I did know that Type II used to restrict cards, but I'd forgotten about it entirely. Things used to be be less standardized than they are now. Take this card, for example...

Standard (Type 2) tournaments (see Rule 804) have banned this card since 1997/01/01 when it left the environment. It was previously restricted from 1995/11/01 to 1997/01/01, and banned from 1997/07/01 through 1997/11/01 when Ice Age temporarily became legal again.
Anyway, it's the older stuff that's going to be trickier, as the record-keeping improved and the internet became more prevalent. I really wish there was a comprehensive site dedicated to archiving information on bannings/restrictions, rules changes, errata, popular archetypes, etc. Almost enough to start one myself, but I don't really have any relevant expertise.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Crystal Keep? Not in one place, you still have to dig for it though.

I'm willing to try this whenever the rules get hammered out.

Melkor

I'll play it, although I have to say one of the reasons I like drafts is that it is real easy to build the deck afterwards. This I'd actually have to use some sort of real deck building talent for.

B

BigBlue

How about we make this simple...

Since this is a built standard which will only have 1 set per block - most of the obscure banned stuff won't matter... Just use the vintage/legacy b/r list.

This will be more like those formats anyways.

Melkor

I doubt anyone will take the time to truly break the format and if someone does, bravo to them and we can just move on.

B

BigBlue

Exactly - plus, we can give a week to build decks, that should give everyone enough time to build, but avoid completely breaking the format...

We're up to 7! One more makes it an even 8.

I think Spidey brought up a great point in the singleton 3 thread - without polling, we don't know why those who don't play these games don't... So, format change may not matter at all... We based that strictly off why a few people didn't want to do Singleton.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
BigBlue;281054 said:
How about we make this simple...

Since this is a built standard which will only have 1 set per block - most of the obscure banned stuff won't matter... Just use the vintage/legacy b/r list.

This will be more like those formats anyways.
Hm. That seems to be a good point. The egregious offenders would already be taken care of. I'm still hesitant, but you might be right...

For DF's benefit, here's the Legacy banned list...

Amulet of Quoz
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Bazaar of Baghdad
Black Lotus
Black Vise
Bronze Tablet
Channel
Chaos Orb
Contract from Below
Darkpact
Demonic Attorney
Demonic Consultation
Demonic Tutor
Dream Halls
Earthcraft
Entomb
Falling Star
Fastbond
Flash
Frantic Search
Goblin Recruiter
Grim Monolith
Gush
Hermit Druid
Illusionary Mask
Imperial Seal
Jeweled Bird
Land Tax
Library of Alexandria
Mana Crypt
Mana Drain
Mana Vault
Memory Jar
Metalworker
Mind Twist
Mind's Desire
Mishra's Workshop
Mox Emerald
Mox Jet
Mox Pearl
Mox Ruby
Mox Sapphire
Necropotence
Oath of Druids
Rebirth
Shahrazad
Skullclamp
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Tempest Efreet
Time Spiral
Time Vault
Time Walk
Timetwister
Timmerian Fiends
Tinker
Tolarian Academy
Vampiric Tutor
Wheel of Fortune
Windfall
Worldgorger Dragon
Yawgmoth's Bargain
Yawgmoth's Will

And here is a list of all cards that are restricted in Vintage and NOT banned in Legacy (unless I missed any, which of course I didn't). Now that I look at it, these cards don't look particularly threatening for our format either, but I leave that up to the rest of you.

Brainstorm
Burning Wish
Crop Rotation
Enlightened Tutor
Fact or Fiction
Gifts Ungiven
Lion's Eye Diamond
Lotus Petal
Merchant Scroll
Mystical Tutor
Ponder
Regrowth
Trinisphere

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Okay... I'm fine with this banned list for the format..... although, if someone selects Mirrodin as one of our Standalone sets, I may stab someone.

We have 7 people. That's enough to get the ball rolling.

Why don't we each roll a d20. From that, we'll determine an order of picking WHEN we picking (kinda like how Horse racing works, wherte the owners place which gate they come out of). Each of us picks where in the selection they want to pick based on what they may find more important (i.e.: You may find picking the last standalone is more important than picking the first expansion. OR, you may want to pick the last expansion after viewing the rest of the sets chosen. If an 8th player joins before the selection ends, they'll be placed in the last set left open. If more players join after an 8th, they won't pick a set and simply build their deck out of what the 8 have determined.

The order of set selecting looks to be:

Standalone 1:
Expansion 1:
Expansion 2:
Core:
Expansion 3:
Expansion 4:
Expansion 5 (if an 8th person joins):
Standalone 2:

My dice roll is 12.

Ransac, cpa trash man