ByoS: Build your own Standard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;281248 said:
I didn't know you had questions :)

I think those are two block sets.
Two set blocks, you mean, right? Yeah, there was Lorwyn Block Constructed and there was Shadowmoor Block Constructed.

Legends is still an expansion, methinks.
It's 310 cards. The standalones up through Onslaught are bigger by 40 cards, but Mirrodin, CoK, and Ravnica are smaller at 306 cards, while Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, and Shards of Alara are smaller still (and Time Spiral is much bigger, I'm guessing because of all the timeshifted cards). If it's an expansion to a standalone set, what's the standalone set?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's unblocked, unless you want to call it an expansion to Alpha/Beta. Just because it's huge doesn't mean it's a standalone. It was a time before sets were nailed down like they're done today. Seriously, most of the cards in there are going to be useless anyways (um, band with others?).

B

BigBlue

Fixing the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor blocks...

I figured Legends was such a large set in comparison to most expansions that it should maybe count as a standalone for the purposes of this... but, like Spidey says, it's a pisspoor expansion either way and probably won't be selected...

I meant to add I was excluding Chronicals too...

So I'll update that in my list.

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

Is it even possible to do this without picking a set with Dark Ritual?

B

BigBlue

I'm ready whenever Modus is... I would post my set, but I suppose he could disrupt it... Or maybe not... I don't want to influence his decision.

Oh... I guess this sorta matters... We are going to play this as a Round Robin, not just a MP free-for-all... right?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;281264 said:
It's unblocked, unless you want to call it an expansion to Alpha/Beta. Just because it's huge doesn't mean it's a standalone. It was a time before sets were nailed down like they're done today. Seriously, most of the cards in there are going to be useless anyways (um, band with others?).
If it's an expansion to 3rd Edition (Revised, since that was the "core" set at the time Legends was released), then isn't Mirage an expansion to 4th Edition? Okay, so I also doubt that anyone will pick it for this anyway, but I can't see how "just because it's huge doesn't mean it's a standalone" is an argument for it being a non-standalone. It being of comparable size to so-called stanalone sets and being printed before the current system of card cycles was established indicates to me that it being in the same category as other sets of similar size rather than the category with sets that are much smaller would be the default assumption. What do other "standalone" sets have that Legends lacks, other than smaller sets printed after it that follow a theme?

BigBlue;281287 said:
Oh... I guess this sorta matters... We are going to play this as a Round Robin, not just a MP free-for-all... right?
Yeah, I guess that matters a lot for deckbuilding. I'd go with round-robin.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Your order is almost right..... just reverse it. Highest picks first, not last.

Ransac, cpa trash man

A

Al0ysiusHWWW

BigBlue;281287 said:
I'm all about the Round Robin

Spiderman;281277 said:
Sure, anything past Mercadian Masques.
Yeah, but that seems fairly unlikely anyway.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So the actual pick order would look like this?

Standalone 1: Spiderman
Expansion 1: DarthFerret
Expansion 2: Oversoul
Core: Al0ysiusHWWW
Expansion 3: Ransac
Expansion 4: Melkor
Expansion 5: BigBlue
Standalone 2: Modus

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
If it's an expansion to 3rd Edition (Revised, since that was the "core" set at the time Legends was released), then isn't Mirage an expansion to 4th Edition?
Um, no, because Mirage was specifically designed to be a standalone expansion and in fact replace "the core set"; it was in design development at the same time as Ice Age (which I think was being designed when Alpha/Beta was released; if not then, then right after) - several WOTC articles have mentioned this.

Okay, so I also doubt that anyone will pick it for this anyway, but I can't see how "just because it's huge doesn't mean it's a standalone" is an argument for it being a non-standalone.
By the same token, just because it being huge and comparable size to a standalone doesn't mean it's a standalone.

It being of comparable size to so-called stanalone sets and being printed before the current system of card cycles was established indicates to me that it being in the same category as other sets of similar size rather than the category with sets that are much smaller would be the default assumption. What do other "standalone" sets have that Legends lacks, other than smaller sets printed after it that follow a theme?
Ice Age and Mirage were specifically designed as standalone because of certain characteristics, most of which escape me, but being playable in starters, containing certain "staple" common cards like Disenchant, red burn come to mind. Additionally, it's mentioned on Crystal Keep that
Legends was part of the inital expansion sets that include Arabian Nights, Antiquities, The Dark, and Fallen Empires.
Round-robin sounds good, I wanna play everyone.

Aly0siusHWWW said:
Yeah, but that seems fairly unlikely anyway.
Why? There are lots of great sets past MM.

If I'm picking first, I'll pick Tempest as my standalone.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Standalone 1: Tempest (Spiderman)
Expansion 1: DarthFerret

Excluded from Draft: Stronghold, Exodus

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

I am gonna pick Urza's Legacy as my expansion.

Standalone 1: Tempest (Spiderman)
Expansion 1: Urza's Legacy (DarthFerret)

Excluded from Draft: Stronghold, Exodus, Urza's Saga, Urza's Destiny

B

BigBlue

Blocks:

Ice Age - Alliances, Coldsnap
Mirage - Visions, Weatherlight
Tempest - Stronghold, Exodus
Urza's Saga - Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny
Mercadian Masques - Nemesis, Prophecy
Invasion - Planeshift, Apocolypse
Odyssey - Torment, Judgement
Onslaught - Legions, Scourge
Mirrodin - Darksteel, Fifth Dawn
Champions of Kamigawa - Betrayers of Kamigawa, Saviors of Kamigawa
Ravnica: City of Guilds - Guildpact, Dissension
Time Spiral - Planar Chaos, Future Sight
Lorwyn - Morningtide
Shadowmoor - Eventide
Shards of Alara - Conflux

Core sets are Alpha, Beta/Unlimited, Revised, 4th Edition, 5th Edition, 6th Edition, 7th Edition, 8th Edition, 9th Edition, or 10th Edition (X)

Unblocked expansoins are - Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends, The Dark, Fallen Empires, and Homelands

B

BigBlue

I also noticed a ton of power cards already available...

When we're done picking sets, I'm going to post a complete cardlist by color.