ByoS: Build your own Standard

B

BigBlue

My apologies for starting this discussion... "I" was the one who suggested Legends was more a "standalone" than an expansion... That was strictly based on the size of it in comparison to normal expansions. It was also meant strictly for the purposes of this format. I did not mean to imply that WotC ever thought of it as standalone. As has been mentioned - Standalone was the original name for "Block". It was Richard Garfield's intent (in Ice Age) to use a different cardback and thus create a completely seperate game from his original one. That idea was scrapped and never heard of again... Eventually they came up with the "Block" - and then with Type 1 vs Type 2 tournaments - and eventually Type 1.5... These were the forebearers of Standard, Extended, Legacy, and Vintage....

However, as Spidey pointed out, it was unlikely Legends would have been chosen anyway... While there are a few very good cards in the set (Underworld Dreams & Mana Drain as 2 examples) - it's mostly junk... Well, unless you count the Master of the Hunt deck I *almost* made... :)

Again, let's get back to deckbuilding.

M

Modus Pwnens

I actually made a master of the hunt deck.. It was pretty sweet =D

Oh, and just to avoid any confusion, I assume we play 3 games / match, sideboarding only allowed for the second and third game. Before any first game, you must return your deck to it's original state, right?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
You guys can send me your deck lists and I'll act like a HJ or TO for this......
Well more like a cleric or paper pusher....:D
Just PM them to me if you want.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Modus Pwnens;281572 said:
Oh, and just to avoid any confusion, I assume we play 3 games / match, sideboarding only allowed for the second and third game. Before any first game, you must return your deck to it's original state, right?
Right.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I still haven't assembled my deck and I have performances straight from tomorrow morning until wednesday night. I'll get to it when I can.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
BigBlue said:
I guess I need to bring a tournament style deck as opposed to a casual deck...

I can't tell you the last time I constructed any deck, let alone a tourney level one.
I was thinking about this last night, it's funny how this is a "casual site", yet when this kind of thing comes up, the assumption is we have to bring "tourney" decks to win. That's not to say a "casual" deck can't be a "tourney" deck also, but the implication is there that they're separate. :)

I'm with you BigBlue, it's been ages since I've actually built a deck. Mindmaster and booster generation is much easier :)

R

rokapoke

Spiderman;281598 said:
it's funny how this is a "casual site", yet when this kind of thing comes up, the assumption is we have to bring "tourney" decks to win. That's not to say a "casual" deck can't be a "tourney" deck also, but the implication is there that they're separate. :)
Shh! Houts might be listening somewhere! You don't want to open that can of worms again...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm not planning on making a tourney-level deck. I'm not going be STUPID about it, but it's not going to be "expertly handled" :)

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Modus Pwnens

There are no tourney level decks for this format as far as I know, since this will most likely be the first "tournament" in this format ever ever (and possibly the last). Hence, by definition any deck you create will be a tournament deck. That being said, it's probably wrong to start your deck with 4x Farmstead just because you always wanted to play with the card. But hey, it's your deck, do with it whatever you want :)

I doubt I have been able to "break" the metagame, since guessing what the metagame will consist of will be pure guessing..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
True. It'll be interesting to see if people are coming up with decks that want to kill as fast as possible, via beatdown or combo, and contain "efficient" cards, vs decks using cards maybe not so much as Farmstead, but "interesting" cards, you know? :)

M

Modus Pwnens

You really have no idea what's coming do you? It's cute really :D

B

BigBlue

My point isn't that I'm trying to build some combo deck that wins by turn 4...

Just that I don't think a completely casual deck will fare well here...

The tone of this discussion has me thinking the lists I was going to generate might help...

So, I will post them shortly, I simply need to figure out how I can make "columns" of cards to keep the post from being incredibly long...

Ahh, better yet, I'll make a spreadsheet on Google Docs - that'll work better. It's already in Excel - just need to add links to cards.

Full list of cards for BooS

Note: it should be "Build our own Standard"... As Ransac pointed out... though we could also interpret ByoS as Bring your own set... :)

Note 2: Some cards colors got hosed somehow in all the copying and pasting... so there are some cards showing the wrong Color. You should be able to correct it - everyone has rights to edit the thing.

D

DarthFerret

I am almost done with my deck. It is not a turn 4 game winner (not sure how to build those), and it may not stand up to anybody, but, it does have a quality that could be really interesting to see pan out. Imagine I will lose 90% of the time.

B

BigBlue

Shipped my deck off to Mooseman... I'll be building a Sideboard before my match starts w/ DF.

I've quite honestly never built a sideboard - I usually judged tourney's rather than played in 'em. :)

I also don't think I included a single card from my own expansion. :)

M

Modus Pwnens

Heh, I sent mine to Mooseman earlier this morning, now I just hope my estimations of the metagame will be correct, or my sideboard will be pretty much useless ^^

B

BigBlue

So, now I'm changing my deck - while researching a sideboard I stumbled onto something else... :)

Not wholesale changes, but changes nonetheless.

And I have no idea about the metagame - I just expect one or two of you to play a deck I can't compete with... so I'll just stick to what I think will be fun and work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So... if we're sending our decks, should we wait until everyone has done so before starting to play? So those still building don't get a "preview" of what they're gonna face of those who start to play?

If so, perhaps we should set a deadline of next Monday.

If not 'cause we're on the honor system, then that's cool too.

I sent my list in, so I'm ready to go.