Breaking Upwelling

D

DeathMaster666

Heh.. beatings with 1/2 Birds of Paradise. I'm trying to figure out what I should remove to put it back in. Maybe just leave 1 Zealot in the Wishboard and cut 3 for Wakes? Which one would be better?

T

train

you could probably cut 1 genesis, as he only helps with your critters in the gy... he's goo recursion with the zealot - but I think 3 genesis is overkill...

If you needed a third genesis for some reason - you could board him...

definitely board a zealot - and if you're looking at utilizing genesis for the zealot onl, he's okay - but to keep all your creatures out ofthe gy - glory might be better...

not trying to change the deck much - just looking at it from utility standpoints...:cool:

D

DeathMaster666

I already have a Zealot boarded. I've decided to replace:
Swords to Plowshares with Fireball
Fanning the Flames with Ghitu Fire
That'll give me 8 X spells, and Ghitu Fire is another mana sink. I guess I'll board a Glory too. I'm also thinking of doing something with Eternal Witness to reuse Living Wishes and killing them off somehow, and bringing them back with Genesis.

T

train

Volcanic Geyser is another instant X spell you could play...

Of course you could also run decree of justice...

Let's face it - my ideas will keep coming if you don't decide it all for me!...:eek:

T

train

Yeah - I thought about it later, and it's more threatening that a horde of 1/1 white weenies - but you could always use critters in mp...;)

C

chocobo_cid

Lava Burst, Mycosynth Lattice, Door to Nothingness...

With Mana Accel, one can do just about anything!

:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, but then Door to Crap is completely useless until you get your combo out. Volcanic Geyser (or Lava Burst if the extra mana for instant speed is too much, or if you really need to kill a creature) at least does something on its own...

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by Oversoul
Yes, but then Door to Crap is completely useless until you get your combo out.
If the deck is filled with alternate combos that work with similar cards, then that isn't as much of a problem.

T

train

Actually - Alternate win condition would be a cool theme to have a game around...;) :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I like Ice Cauldron...

As far as alternate wins, even without being good, it's not so much of a problem. It's kind of funny, except Door...

There's a line between hilarity and idiocy...

Door crosses it...

D

DeathMaster666

Originally posted by train
Ice Cauldron!...
I don't know how it works, and I don't plan to explain it every time I play it.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's actually not that difficult to remember...

Except this part...

Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57]
The mana put in the Cauldron can only be used to play the given spell, but you can add additional mana to a spell. [D'Angelo 1995/06/08] This means you can pay part of the cost on one turn and the rest of it on the next turn.
The mana can be used to pay for penalty costs from things like Gloom. [Rules Team 2001/05/01]
The mana can be used for additional costs outlined in the spell's text. [Duelist Magazine #9, Page 61]
Tapping the Cauldron for the mana is a mana ability. [D'Angelo 2000/03/09]
X can be zero. This places a zero mana counter on the Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You do not have to use any mana from the Cauldron when playing the spell if you don't want to. You don't even have to tap the Cauldron and draw the mana, you can just play the spell using mana from somewhere else. [D'Angelo 1995/06/12]
You can play the spell at any time as if it were in your hand. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You can only play the spell when you could legally play it normally. So no playing a Sorcery on your opponent's turn. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
When you play the spell and it resolves, it either becomes a permanent or goes to the graveyard just like normal. It does not stay out of the game. [D'Angelo 1995/08/01]
If the Cauldron leaves play, you can still play any spells it removed from the game as though they were in your hand. You just no longer have access to the mana you charged the Cauldron with. [D'Angelo 2000/03/09]
If the Cauldron leaves your control, the spell remains out of the game. The controller of the Cauldron is the only one that can tap to get the mana out of it. The player who put the spell out of the game with the Cauldron is the only one that can play the spell and they can do so even if they are not in control of the Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
It is possible to have more than one spell removed by the Cauldron. You can tap the Cauldron to remove the charge counter and whatever mana is on it but leave the spell there. Later, you can tap it and put in mana and a charge counter to add another spell. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
If multiple spells are removed by the Cauldron, any one of them can be played. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
If multiple spells are removed by the Cauldron, the mana can only be used for the spell that was removed by the Cauldron when the most recent charge counter was put there. [Aahz 1995/06/29]
If the ability to remove a card with the Cauldron is countered, you do not lose the spell since the spell would be removed during resolution. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You cannot store mana that is to be used for a special purpose into the Cauldron, such as Mishra's Workshop. [Aahz 1995/07/04]
If you use mana from a Soldevi Machinist to charge the Cauldron, you cannot use the mana to cast anything and so it's just mana burn waiting to happen. This is because the Ice Cauldron remembers everything about how the mana can be used and generates mana with the same restrictions. [Duelist Magazine #10, Page 44]
Power Artifact will reduce the cost of placing a charge counter on it by {2}, but the Cauldron will count only mana spent on it and will not store extra mana because of the Power Artifact's effect. Thus, if you spent RR2 by declaring an RR4 cost, you get RR2 later and not RR4. [WotC Rules Team 1995/09/22]
Power Artifact will force a minimum expenditure of 1 on the Cauldron. [WotC Rules Team 1995/09/22] Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57] Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57]

M

mythosx

Dude, ice cauldren is easy to understand. What part of:

Originally posted by Oversoul
It's actually not that difficult to remember...

Except this part...

Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57]
The mana put in the Cauldron can only be used to play the given spell, but you can add additional mana to a spell. [D'Angelo 1995/06/08] This means you can pay part of the cost on one turn and the rest of it on the next turn.
The mana can be used to pay for penalty costs from things like Gloom. [Rules Team 2001/05/01]
The mana can be used for additional costs outlined in the spell's text. [Duelist Magazine #9, Page 61]
Tapping the Cauldron for the mana is a mana ability. [D'Angelo 2000/03/09]
X can be zero. This places a zero mana counter on the Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You do not have to use any mana from the Cauldron when playing the spell if you don't want to. You don't even have to tap the Cauldron and draw the mana, you can just play the spell using mana from somewhere else. [D'Angelo 1995/06/12]
You can play the spell at any time as if it were in your hand. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You can only play the spell when you could legally play it normally. So no playing a Sorcery on your opponent's turn. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
When you play the spell and it resolves, it either becomes a permanent or goes to the graveyard just like normal. It does not stay out of the game. [D'Angelo 1995/08/01]
If the Cauldron leaves play, you can still play any spells it removed from the game as though they were in your hand. You just no longer have access to the mana you charged the Cauldron with. [D'Angelo 2000/03/09]
If the Cauldron leaves your control, the spell remains out of the game. The controller of the Cauldron is the only one that can tap to get the mana out of it. The player who put the spell out of the game with the Cauldron is the only one that can play the spell and they can do so even if they are not in control of the Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
It is possible to have more than one spell removed by the Cauldron. You can tap the Cauldron to remove the charge counter and whatever mana is on it but leave the spell there. Later, you can tap it and put in mana and a charge counter to add another spell. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
If multiple spells are removed by the Cauldron, any one of them can be played. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
If multiple spells are removed by the Cauldron, the mana can only be used for the spell that was removed by the Cauldron when the most recent charge counter was put there. [Aahz 1995/06/29]
If the ability to remove a card with the Cauldron is countered, you do not lose the spell since the spell would be removed during resolution. [Duelist Magazine #7, Page 9]
You cannot store mana that is to be used for a special purpose into the Cauldron, such as Mishra's Workshop. [Aahz 1995/07/04]
If you use mana from a Soldevi Machinist to charge the Cauldron, you cannot use the mana to cast anything and so it's just mana burn waiting to happen. This is because the Ice Cauldron remembers everything about how the mana can be used and generates mana with the same restrictions. [Duelist Magazine #10, Page 44]
Power Artifact will reduce the cost of placing a charge counter on it by {2}, but the Cauldron will count only mana spent on it and will not store extra mana because of the Power Artifact's effect. Thus, if you spent RR2 by declaring an RR4 cost, you get RR2 later and not RR4. [WotC Rules Team 1995/09/22]
Power Artifact will force a minimum expenditure of 1 on the Cauldron. [WotC Rules Team 1995/09/22] Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57] Cards which are not actually in your hand, such as ones on an Elkin Bottle, cannot be played onto the Ice Cauldron. [Duelist Magazine #11, Page 57]
don't you get?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It looks pretty straightforward to me...

Maybe it's the part about Power Artifact that is causing the confusion...

Well don't put a Power Artifact on an Ice Cauldron...

Unless it's your opponent's Ice Cauldron and you feel the desperate need to get Power Artifact out of your hand...

T

train

I get the power artifact bit... It's simple as chocolate...

I think what's confusing is the "T:" part...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, it really does have a lot of rulings...

But aside from a few interactions, it's a pretty simple card to use...

There are cards with much more complex interactions, to be sure...

They just don't have so many rulings as Cauldron...

T

train

the rulings can seem scary, but are there to make sure certain "wrong" interactions don't occur... like someone breaking ice cauldron...;)

C

chocobo_cid

Hmmm... the possibilities are indeed endless...

Except for th aforementioned list, I can imagine some imprint interactions.