Best Band Ever?

A

asadoine

In terms of success probably the Beatles, even if now that's little bit out of date.

I would say best band ever QUEEN.....

They really left a lot behind

Who doesn't know "We are the Champions"
They had all styles, from Hard to cool ...

Freddy was a great guy ... :( The only loss for an artitst I felt in my life ...

berto

I

igfett

i like rage against the machine, metallica, tool, sublime, weezer and the beastie boys (not backstreet, beastie)

C

Chaos Turtle

They also did not write "Why Does the Sun Shine (The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas)" which is one of my favorite songs.

Get Severe Tire Damage if you like TMBG. It's a live album. The live versions of all their "classic" songs are great, as is the new track, "Dr. Worm."

--the Chaos Turtle
I wonder why they called their band "Queen" ? :D

Killer Joe

Laurie Anderson, I know I know her music, but I can't really recall a specific tune. My brother and his wife were big fans of that type of music.
The Smiths, 'Girlfriend in a Coma' was one of my fav's.
I'll tell you what Chaos Turtle, I'll do a little research this weekend and give you a hugh list on Monday to drool over, and hey, maybe I can send you a recording of any of these tunes you don't have.

"...even old New York, was once New Amsterdam, why'd they change it nobody knows, it's nobody's business but the Turks. oooooowhyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooo" I don't know who wrote it but it always reminded me of 'Puttin' on the Ritz' (Taco did a cover of this tune way back in '82)

[Edited by Yellowjacket (03-04-2000 at 07:26 AM).]

C

Chaos Turtle

I LOVED "Puttin' on the Ritz"!!!!

The only Laurie Anderson stuff anyone is likely to recall is "Coolsville" (which actually had a video!) "Oh Superman" or "Sharkey's Day."

There was also a version of the song called "Sharkey's Night" featuring William S. Burroughs, author of Naked Lunch and the end-all-be-all (as far as I'm concerned) of spoken word artists ('cept maybe Henry Rollins, who would still only be 2nd-best, and don't anyone dare bring up Bill Shatner! ). :)

D

Duel

1: nobody should listen to the backstreet boys. Ever. Period.

2: If you choose Queen as the best band ever (A choice which I do not neccesarily agree with) then you must admit "Bohemian Rhapsody" as they're masterpiece.

B

Baron Sengir

Three words for ya'll.

Nine Inch Nails.

I listen to NIN and KMFDM a lot. I also like Type O Negative (who kick ass in concert, btw) and a group called Vast.

Also, if you haven't heard it already, check out the Bloodhound Gang's new album Hooray for Boobies. It is funny as all hell and the song The Bad Touch is kick ass.

I remain
The Baron
"Of course, Particle Man is the best They Might Be Giants song of all time ..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to disagree there, Baron, so far the best song by TMBG is either Birdhouse or Mammal (although Palindrome is catchy).

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually... "Minimum Wage" is the best, if shortest (not counting the Fingertips series).
For real songs... "Why Does the Sun Shine?" or "Ana Ng."

Baron! I heard The Bloodhound Gang for the first time this very night! I actually heard "*thump-thump* Ooh! Rock me Amadeaus" I screamed!
Then I realized that I had in fact heard these guys before, on a cover (sort of) of "The Roof is On Fire." Ultra-cool, must-hear stuff.

And it's true, I can attest, that a Lap Dance is better when the Stripper is Cryin'.

D

Duel

Baron's right on one count, at least. Particle man is the best TMBG song of all time (I should know, I'm listening to it right now).
But Baron, Bloodhound?!? Any band who gives titles their songs like "I wish I was gay so I could get chicks" needs help. Okay, so that title is cool. But songs like 3.14 are a little over-the-top.

T

theorgg

?
PIE is a song title?
to quote wakefield: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>WTF????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

as for TMBG, I've only heard Flood and (via napster) Dr. Worm.
I agree that "Minimum wage" is an EXCELLENT song.
to those who havn't heard it:
It's a musical interlude following a guy shouting "Minimum Wage! Yaahaa!" followed by a whipcrack.

funnier than Devo's cover of (I can't get no)Satisfaction.
why are the above songs funny? because they are True! :)

D

Daenen

Rush
Pink Floyd
Ozzy (aka GOD) Osbourn

By far the musician with the most talent is David Bowie. The man created three types of music: Techno, 80's, and Industrial. Can you name any one person/band who created more than one? I didn't think so.

W

Waubers

OK I'm sure that Everyone will bash me for this, but I am going to have to say the Barenaked Ladies. Now before I get email telling me how crappy one week is and how all there stuff sucks I must comment that One week off of Stunt is their 5th Album. Their 1st 4 albums are fantastic from start to finish! I saw them in concert and it kicked ass! I say that after seeing Eric Clapton, Metalica, Dave Mathews Band (a close 2nd to my favorite by the way), and quite a few others. I sugest that you buy born on a pirate ship or Gordon if you like BNL

Waubers

-There's a spider in my room

Killer Joe

um, what's an album? just kidding. Hey anybody remember 45's? I used to have a whole collection of them, my last couple were of Men At Work, DuranDuran and The Police.

G

Gizmo

Just because I KNOW nobody will have heard of him I have to mention my favorite artist:
Billy Bragg
You can`t really pigeonhole him, think Dylan/Guthrie - actually he teamed up with Wilco last year to cover some Guthrie songs that were never originally recorded.

"Bragg is undoubtedly one of the greatest living Englishmen, a political and social commentator whose musical output has consistently charted"
- The Guardian

He`s a bit English I guess, lookit
http://www.billybragg.co.uk/songs.html
for the words to ALL his songs.

[Edited by Gizmo (03-16-2000 at 04:07 PM).]

Killer Joe

I KNOW BILLY BRAGG! I can't remember the name of the hit single from his third album (the white cover with a black furnace eating money, I think). Man, what a Thick english accent (I know, We're the ones with the accent)I can hardly understand him. .......mmmmm something about a girl........I got that stupid Smith's song "Girlfriend in a Coma" stuck in my head.........

Killer Joe

"Shirley"! That's it. Cool, a Billy Bragg web site, that helped. Did I mention how thick his accent is? I'm sure it's hard for anyone to understand him. I like the folky song feel of that tune.