Best Band Ever?

Killer Joe

So who's your pick for "Best Band Ever"?

Make mine U2. (the earlier the better)

What music, if any, do you listen to while playing M:TG?

Me? I like:
'Carmina Burana' by Carl Orff
or
'The Planets' by Gustav Holst ('Mars, the Bringer of War' is my favorite of the suite)

[Edited by Yellowjacket (02-28-2000 at 08:49 AM).]

D

Dune Echo

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber.

-Dune Echo
Ever seen "Platoon"? Then you've heard this music.

D

Dune Echo

And my wife and best friend have turned me into a U2 fan. They're really awesome. I like a lot of different stuff though. Creed right now along with various oldies (Stones, Skynard, Credence, Bob Seger, etc.).

Killer Joe

'Adagio for Strings', yeah, that's a morbid/slow kind of tune (play a slow black control deck with that one). A great piece of work. I know it took a movie (Platoon) to raise the public's awareness of the tune but hey, everyone knows about the 'William Tell Overture' because of the Lone Ranger or 'The Barber of Seville' because of that Bugs Bunny episode where he's giving Elmer Fudd a hair-cut and a shave, so what? It's great music no matter how you got turned on to it.

M

Mr_Pestilence

That's tough. If you mean classical music, then definitely Beethoven's (Glorious) Ninth Symphony, with the "Ode to Joy".

As for contemporary, I love Metallica, Tool, Nirvana (Kurt's not really dead), Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Rage Against The Machine, White Zombie (I could go on, but you get the idea).

M

Mordecai

My favorite band is Starflyer 59.

I think Blues Traveler makes for pretty good Magic-playing music, though.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Best band ever, huh? That's way too tough of a question, since there's so many great ones. I've always been into stuff like Halen, Rush, Maiden, Nirvana, Metallica, UFO, Zepplin, AC/DC. Lately I've been digging The Foo Fighters, Tool (because they rule!), Bush, Creed, Candlebox, and The Goo-Goo Dolls.

As the best, I'd probably choose Zepplin because of the history, since nobody was playing what they were playing when they were playing it.

My wife and I rarely listen to music when we play, as it's usually after the youngun's is in bed, but for some obscure reason Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark" plays in my head whenever I play my T1 deck (12 Bolts), and sometimes Bush's "Little Things" runs through there when I'm playing other decks.

TomB
CPA Member

T

theorgg

crowd:PINK FLOYD! PINK FLOYD! PINK FLOYD!

I WILL TELL YOU THIS, LEGENS,
TELL YOU THIS NOW,

THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD

IS ONE DEFUNCT THE MONTH OF BOHREN'S BORN.
CLASSICS ALL, AND WORKS OF POETRY, THEIR ALBUMS

BEAUTY CANNOT BE NO MORE...
THAN THEESE BEAUTIES SPRUNG OF A MAN'S PERSONAL WAR.

voices from crowd: Woooooo! Ya telleem!

A

arhar

No way guys. Those all suck. You should listen to Backstreet Boys!!! At least they can sing, not growl (Metallica, ewwww...)

C

Chaos Turtle

Dear Jesus, arhar, and to think I was starting to like you...

C

Chaos Turtle

They
Might
Be
Giants
!

Sublime, The Pet Shop Boys, Metallica...

Old stuff? Anything at all by Mozart. It justs puts me in the mathematical frame of mind.

--the Chaos Turtle

"It's got a good beat and I can think to it!"

"Silence, Poopsie!"

Killer Joe

Chaos Turtle, 'They Might Be Giants' is an obscure band from the 80's (I like 'Don't Let Start' and their version of 'Istanbul, not Constantinople'). Do you like other obscure bands like The Cure, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians, The The, Depeche Mode, New Order and the likes?

C

Chaos Turtle

They Might Be giants is now an obscure band from the 90's! Soon they will bring their obscurity into the 00's!

I'm astonished that you know that "Istanbul, Not Constantinople" is an old song... are you by any chance really really old? :)

Alright, in order...
The Cure is obscure? no...No...NO!!! I dig The Cure, yes, but haven't heard anything from the new album (which mean that they are now an 00's band).
The only Robyn Hitchcock et al song I know is, uhm... know what's funny? I'm not sure. "Balloon Man," I think.
The The... wow, I thought nobody listened to those guys. "The BEATen Generation" and "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" are two of my all-time "You-gotta-hear-this-song" favorites.
Depeche Mode used to be a favorite, but their 90's stuff is lackluster. Nothing since the album with "Personal Jesus" has been as good. Was it Violator or something like that?
New Order...never really was a big fan, though it was cool to hear "Blue Monday" again when Orgy covered it last year.

And, whatever happened to Jesus Jones?

Now, you want obscure?
:eek:
Laurie Anderson.

I love her, she's the most amazing, creative, headache-causing, musical (if you want to call it that) artist of the 80's. Gods, I wish she'd put something out again.
Anyone who knows who Laurie Anderson is, is my new friend. (Hint to old-time MTV-ers... "Personal Service Announcements")

A

arhar

Hehehe.. I just wanted to see how many hate posts would I get.. I am surprised that.. very little!! Ok, in other words.. IT WAS A JOKE!! I HATE Backstreet Boys. And I listen to Slayer, Sepultura, Pantera, Fear Factory,etc..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They Might Be Giants aren't THAT old, relatively; "Instanbul, Not Constantinople" was from Flood, which was in 1990.

I've only listened to a couple of New Order, Cure, and Depreche Mode songs, haven't really listened to any albums in full...

I don't know if you would characterize them in the same genre, but have stuff from Dead or Alive and Erasure.

C

Chaos Turtle

They Might Be Giants is not that old, but "Istanbul, Not Constantinople" is.
It was written (I think) in the 30's by (if I'm not mistaken, I'm trying to get this from memory) Mssrs. Kennedy and Simon.

Has anyone mentioed The Smiths yet?
God I loved The Smiths, especially Strangeways, Here We Come.
Morrissey on his own kind of annoyed me though.

--the Chaos Turtle
"Hair brushed and parted / Typical me, typical me, typical me, I started something / and now I'm not too sure..."