Best Band Ever?

T

theorgg

ummmm...

Primus fits into the catagory of Pink Floyd Wannabees who get doped up and sing darkly humorous songs while playing the base guitaur instead of lead and vice versa.

not TOO bad, but not as deep as I prefer.

S

Spaceman Spiff

those OTHER bands, hmm well, their pretty much just techno, punk rock, industrial,rock,
and thats it, i think well catch ya guys later

Spaceman Spiff, The one thats not from Calvin and Hobbes

C

Crackdown

Best band ever?

Oh gee. . . you know that band of McCartney's before he was with Wings?

Or maybe Garcia's, if you aren't a California girl.

C

Chaos Turtle

Crackdown, put the crackdown...

Kidding, kidding, the Bugaboos are pretty cool, as are the Grateful Turtles....

<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Chaos Turtle puts the crackdown</font>

O

Ophidian

I have to say that Tool is the best band ever. This is the one band I know of that hasn't put out any crap. That alone gets my vote.

O

Ophidian

I'll have to agree with chaosturtle, except for korn. Way too sellout for my taste. Replace with AiC or Slipknot.

C

Chaos Turtle

I should have disables smilies...

It should have read-

TooL:KoRn::pink Floyd:Led Zeppelin

making an analogy...

good band with underground following
:
mediocre band with too big a following

respective to their own eras of course....

I did NOT mean to suggest that I like KoRn (or LZ)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
So you're saying you think Zepplin was a mediocre band?

You're kidding.

TomB
CPA Member

T

theorgg

Zepplin is good, but there are WAY too many kids that have on the shirts and things because it's cool.

in art class, my teacher turns on the classic rock station and lets it play while we draw.
If over half of the class objects, he'll turn it to the new rock for three or four minuits untill the crap song goes off.
Stairway to Heaven came on and ALL THREE of the kids in Zepplin T-shirts called for a change of music.
:)

I think THAT is what Turtle ment.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, maybe mediocre was too strong a word...

Orgg has it right, though. It's about substance over form, and there are sooo many KoRn fans, when TooL expresses similar angst but with much more creativity and talent.
I think that TooL will outlast KoRn in the long run though, as Floyd is clearly superior - musically speaking - Led Zeppelin (which doesn't necessarily mean that LZ is bad, just not Floyd).

Gods, I hate being politically correct...
;)

G

galtwish

Don't tell me the crap Flyod has put out in the past 20 years is good! Zep was good, but not great. Cock rock is fun, but you don't see anyone putting up AC/DC here.

Ophidian, right on. TOOL is a great band. Musical literature. But for me, it will always have to be

JON SPENSER BLUES EXPLOSION!

with real big thanks to Fugazi for always getting better, and is the closest thing to intelectual musical poetry on both a lyrical and insturmental sense. But JSBX is the coolest band ever.

Random love goes out to DJ Shadow, Beastie Boys, Busta Rhymes, The Cramps, The Misfits, Oingo Boingo, Sonic Youth, Ministry, reverand Horton Heat, Starflyer 59, pre-1991 Metallica, and last but not least, Soundgarden.

Erik

D

Duel

There is only one good reason to even mention the beastie boys: three white, skinny, jewish rappers. Boychik's in the hood!

T

theorgg

I agree. in the last twenty years, Pink Floyd hasn't put much out that is good.

Due to the band breaking up in '82, nad the last album being virtualy a Roger Waters Solo album in everythng but name, I'd say that yes. pink floyd(w/o roger waters) has become another Lynard Skinard: playin' the oldies everyone wants to hear, but no new material is relesed.

Their OLDER stuff, on the other hand...
WOW!

G

galtwish

Well, I might give partial credit to Syd Barret-era Floyd...but just partial credit. If you like old Floyd, you should really check out mid-late 80's Sonic Youth. The music is inventive like old Floyd, but their lyrics aren't the same kind of nonsense. They're a different kind of nonsense.

Erik

C

Chaos Turtle

That does it.
Sonic Youth? Inventive, sure, but utterly unlistenable with only a couple of exceptions.
Just my opinion, but since I'm always right....
;)