Are you a Vampire - Wings over Moldavia

E

EricBess

If the vampire knows who the cleric is, he can avoid turning him, which is important. However, I agree that it really isn't much of a benefit compared to the advantages of the cleric revealing himself.

Next time Ransac reveals himself, however, please warn me in advance so I can be as far away as possible...

Um...right.

And Ransac - yes, clearly I must pitifully bow to your superior intellect. I am truely no match for you :D;):D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
How about if the Cleric can be turned and the minions know each other or the vampire? Having the minions know the vampire makes sense, but loses the flavor of the vampire trying to hide among the villagers.
There will be a minion created before the first vote.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I liked it and I do think the cleric has the slight advantage of revealing himself early on, but then, if you have a good enough player who can either try to bluff as being the cleric first or later, it could come out differently.

So who's running it next? :)

L

Limited

Perhaps the Cleric can't be turned, but dies if the Vampire tries to turn him. This way, the Cleric has to keep his identity a secret. He probably should be able to swim though, so the villagers can't kill him by accident.

Or we should start with several clerics?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I agree that the cleric needs some reason to stay hidden.
I think I'd go with removing the immunity to being turned.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Mooseman said:
I think I'd go with removing the immunity to being turned.
I'd have to disagree with that change. It wasn't obvious, based on our results in the first game, but I think the way it is already, the game greatly favors the vampire.

For the first half of the game, the villagers outnumber the minions. And even with the cleric revealing himself and directing votes, he still doesn't have that much information to work with. But once the minions outnumber the villagers, the vampire can reveal himself and direct the voting, but he'll actually have 100% of the information he needs to eliminate all the rest of the villagers. So right now, niether the cleric nor vampire would have any reason to stay hidden once the voters are in their favor.

If you're looking for a reason for both the cleric and vampire to stay hidden, you might want to try indroducing a "stake" move or something like that, where the cleric can have one shot to kill the vampire without a vote. This would give the cleric cause to stay hidden, because he'd still have an out if the minions grow too large in numbers and it would also give the vampire a reason to stay hidden, because until the cleric is dead, he's vulnerable.

Personally, I think we should try playing a couple more times before making any changes. I think the results of this try may have influenced people to think that the game is harder for the vampire to win when it's really not.

Melkor

Shouldn't the vampire avoid voting for the first dunkee like the plague? Assuming that only a few people are voting for the dunkee, then while a few people are cleared, the vampire remains more anonymous and has more time to create more minions to muddy the waters. Seems to me that we got a lucky shot with an early fifty-fifty and EricBess acting suspicious. Anyway, I definitely agree with turgy22 that we should play with the same rules at least one more time.

D

DarthFerret

I am up for Werewolf, however, not up to running it yet. May run something in the next couple of months...(still catching up from work, and now I have a 30 hour OSHA General Industry Outreach program to complete...yeesh).

turgy22

Nothing Special
Melkor said:
Shouldn't the vampire avoid voting for the first dunkee like the plague?
I think yes and no. When the votes are scattered like they were in our game, the vampire should definitely avoid casting a vote for the one getting dunked. But I think, in the future, the villagers should wise up and decide to split the first vote evenly to ensure that the field is narrowed to 1/2 right off the bat (hehe... no pun intended). At this point, the vampire should simply try to vote in the opposite direction of his first minion, which I think makes the game interesting, considering there is no communication between vampire and minion. Then the cleric will see that one non-villager voted for the dunkee, but won't know if it was the vampire or minion.

In regards to the next game, if no one else wants to and/or doesn't have time to run Werewolf, I'll give it a shot. I'll go start a sign-up thread now.

E

EricBess

I think the reason the vampire is favored is because the game doesn't last too many turns. The minions quickly outnumber the villagers, so it's really do or die on the second vote.

I don't necessarily agree that the vampire would avoid voting for the dunkee, though. What I do agree with, however, is that he wants either himself or the minion to vote for the dunkee to avoid narrowing down the field. That's what I tried to do, but I was effectively blindsided by the fact that so many people misunderstood that there was already a minion.

I don't mind doing something with the cleric about being able to be turned, or dying if the vampire tries to turn him. In fact, I think the dying is a better idea. I'm not sure about letting him swim.

I don't think the minions should know who the vampire is. The vampire having to plan things out without full cooperation of the minions is probably one of the things that makes the game work.

I'm up to another game with the same rules or with a couple minor tweaks, but I definitely agree that let's go back to werewolf first.

Here's one suggestion that I think might work - limit the number of minions to 2. If the vampire already has 2 minions, he can't create a new one until one of them is dunked. That would help make sure that there are at least 3 votes.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
EricBess said:
Here's one suggestion that I think might work - limit the number of minions to 2. If the vampire already has 2 minions, he can't create a new one until one of them is dunked. That would help make sure that there are at least 3 votes.
Very good suggestion. I originally thought that maybe the vampire would have to feed (kill) for 2 nights before creating another minion, but this would be better.

Also, the cleric has to be able to be killed. After creating 2 minions the vampire can start choosing a villager each night, the cleric is slain if chosen this way.
If there are less than 2 minions, the vampire has to turn someone.

D

DarthFerret

That Idea sounds like a good one. It gives the Cleric incentive not to give out his identity right away, because after the second night, he would have to be right about the Vamp, or die.