A Radical Sugestion

B

BigBlue

Originally posted by Rando
As as for people searching for a specific game...Google.com is a wonderfull thing that would certainly dig up threads and articles located here.
Give it a week for the web crawlers to index and I wouldn't be surprised if a search for Xexyz yielded this thread.

B

BigBlue

What I like to see about this thread, is that it is being supported by people who've been here for 2 years. Look at the side. Jan '00, Jun '00, Aug '00, Oct '00, ... That is good that we have kept a core of people from that time. What is not good is that there doesn't seem to be anyone new who cares enough to keep the discussion moving.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've been saying that all the while; there's old people who leave for whatever reason and no new fresh blood that replaces them.

I don't mind getting rid of Off-Topic, Battle, and New Members either. Or Testing. It just depends which direction the CPA needs to take. If it want to retain those members who no longer play Magic but come for those areas, then keep them. If it wants to focus more on Magic and "get back to its roots", you have to weigh whether losing those members might be outweighed by (hopefully) the arrival of new members.

D

Duel

Be mindful of your roots, child. Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Those who do not adapt to the present are just as likely to start again, though.

I agree about the decrease in cohesiveness and wonder (just idly) if the moderator's forum now is more like the CPA of old?

Unfortunately, I don't know what can be done.... but if anyone has a good idea, I'd be glad to try.

T

theorgg

I like the idea of a "general game" site, but I also think the CPA simply needs a few more contributing members. I've seen some big improvement in the past week or so, because people are starting to realize that the lifeblood of the site is their thoughts and opinions relating to Magic or its community.

If we switched to other games as well, we might have some more articles, but the original thrust of the site, a.k.a. Magic just for the sake of Magic would be corrupted, possibly for the worst.

I see no reason if people have time that they can't wright articles.

However, inspiration and time are two things that don't come up often.

I'd like to see some Judgement discussions in here. However, it seems that noone other than the Shaply Milk Maiden himself, FOR, wants it.

Why? I'd blame a lack of time, but as the activity of the boards has shown, that's not the reason.

I

Istanbul

I'd be more than happy to write articles on multiple other games I love (D&D, Monopoly, Stratego, HACK!, and others) if this site goes multi-game.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Though I'm not too sure about the forum split the way Rando's suggesting it. Where, for example, would the Warrior's threads go? Under "Other Roleplaying"?

Does that seem appropriate?

I would suggest taking it slow, first by publishing a few front page articles, then if the interest seems to be showing strong in the forums (in General Gaming, for example) create a new forum dedicated to the new "Game". Allow the expansion to take place like that (and at the same time look at condensing the Magic forums a bit), and we'll grow in whatever direction the wind takes us...

Which is as it should be, I believe...:D

The first step, I think, should be to poll our people and see how we all feel about the idea. I'll start a thread about it in the Voting Forum, so everyone, if you would, go there and tell us what you think about the idea.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just had a thought, this whole idea sounds like what Gamespy already is. Although I haven't tried out their forums to see if all genres are under one roof or if they're broken up into separate websites.

TomB: Warriors would probably fall under "Online Gaming" or such... ;)

B

BigBlue

Isn't Gamespy PC games and console games?

First of all I think the general genres would be few,

MTG
Other CCG's
RPG's
Miniatures
Board Games
Computer/Console RPG's
Computer/Console other
Online Games
Books
Movies

And I would ONLY begin a forum on those if there was a few requirements met. 1, at least one moderator willing to comit the time necessary to "run" that Genre/area 2. Some kind of petition by membership or something to decide that genre or area would be of interest to them. 3. at least two or three people willing to contribute articles on an ongoing basis to that genre. If you can't get any support for that area, then why cover it. This would be a general site, and we already have threads on every one of those topics happening in our supposedly Magic Only discussions already.

What do you think?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, you're right. I keep thinking in terms of computer stuff...

Those guidelines sound good to me, if it ever gets around to that :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
TomB: Warriors would probably fall under "Online Gaming" or such... ;)
Actually, Spidey, Rando didn't give "Online Gaming" as a Forum heading, though doubtless we could adapt things once we got that far. If fact, to go one step further, I think that all we'd really need to do would be to segment off another whole section of forum for General Gaming, and have the sub-headings be things like:
  • Non-Magic CCG's
  • Computer/Online Games
  • RPG's/Miniatures
  • Traditional Games
Maybe something like that?

BigBlue: Please don't take this the wrong way, but by your criteria we shouldn't even be about Magic, as it's been months since 2 or 3 people were willing to commit to regular articles about that particular subject...:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't think Rando's ideas were "set in stone", it was always conceivable that he overlooked something. Like Online Gaming ;)

I think it depends on what direction the site is going to go. If you want to keep Magic as the forefront but open it up to other games, then your suggested forum breakdowns are fine. If you want to totally overhaul the site and it's purpose to just be Games, then Rando's suggestions are fine. I think that's what BigBlue's suggestions were geared towards also, if it heads in the latter direction.

R

Rando

That might not be a bad idea.

Have a set of "Classic CPA forums" for Magic related stuff, then a set of "Other Games" forums, and then the community forums.

Something like this...

*Magic*
General Magic Discussion
Deck Ideas
Rules Questions

*Other Games*
Other CCG's
RPG's
Miniature War Games
Video/Computer Games
Online Games
Traditional Board and Card Games

*Community*
Off Topic
Battle Arena
Personals / Want Adds / Trading
Feedback

With something like this, we can maintain the original intentions and flavor of the CPA, but simply expand into new areas.

It's called growth people. You either evolve or you die.

H

Hetemti

Yes, the site may get more traffic that way, but the CPA will no longer be for casual magic players but for casual gamers. The "Classic" section will continue to shrivel until it implodes.

H

Hetemti

If there is no Magic discussion, I've no reason to come. And if I've no reason to come, does it's existance matter? Not really, least not to me.

R

Rando

I'm not sugesting stopping Magic discussion.

I'm sugestiong broadening into new areas.

Magic can no longer hold it's own around here.

H

Hetemti

I didn't say you were suggesting to stop Magic discusstion. That was explicitly included.

What I'm saying is that no one's going to bother with Magic any more with bright shiny new games to chitter about instead. It'd be like what happened in CCGs when Pokémon came out...except if Pokémon won.

...then again...maybe it did...

M

MrXarvox

So you only play Magic, Hetemti? Well then, you'd get less out of a multi-game site.
But for most of us here, it'd liven up the place greatly.

A

Apollo

I don't really think it'd liven up the place that much. You can discuss other games already in the General Gaming and Off Topic forumus. I think if all of these new forums were created, there might be a flurry of posting in the new games forums, and then they'd just sort of die off to nothing after a while. I still believe that this won't attract any new members. And for those of us that are still here, we all play a bunch of games, but do we play the same games? For instance, I play the Showdown card games, but I doubt anybody else does or wants to discuss them with me. And a person that is a hard-core showdown fan will go to a site dedicated to the Showdown games, not here where we have one Showdown player and a bunch of Magic players. The same goes for the Cheapass Games (well, maybe there are a couple other than theorgg, but not enough to sustain conversation), and a bunch of other games (Spidey plays Warhammer, and maybe one or two others do, but again there won't be enough to sustain discussion). So I think we'd end up with a bunch of brand spanking new forums--filled with cobwebs.

And finally, even if there were somehow a unanimous vote to do this, could we? I'm not sure we could convince Mike to come and redo all that stuff, changing the entire nature of the site. And do we have anyone else that could do it?