A New Concept Set

• Thread starter Thallid Ice Cream Man
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

Hey, Thallid, thanks for the comments. Lol, I hope Opium is a card one day too.

Sneak
Oh, I totally forgot about that card. However you want to tweak it is fine with me...maybe something with that pure impure thing?

Glass Wall
Your right, the tokens should be removed at end of combat, or some crazy sacrifice combo would come about.

Grubb
No, it doesent skip your draw step, but you do skip the next time you draw a card.

Shockthrough
Lol, this does blow shatterstorm out of the water....I just wish shatterstorm was good. I like this alot better.

Opium
Your right, it should be 1B. I dont think that as it comes into play it destroys all 1 mana creatures. At least, I hope it doesent.

blankblankblank
Im not sure I understand this card. Why is the any player ability on this? Why would your opponent ever want to put counters on your creatures? To tap it?

Traztrom General
Hey, this card is really cool! I had to read it a couple times to get it at first, but it has really interesting stuff. Im not so sure about the life loss, it just doesent seem green.

F

FoundationOfRancor

SloMage
1G
Creature - Mage
T, 2GG, Put a permanent you control on top of your library: Put target card on the controller of that cards library.
2/3

....eh.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

SloMage's cost is going to turn a lot of people off... How about making it lands and cheaper?

The thing with both the last two cards I wrote is that they're designed to do one thing, or to let the opponent try to mess it up, although not without cost to them.

I'm willing to tweak the first card. I was trying to make it a slightly cheap angel with a disadvantage on offense.

Yes, they would tap it to tap it.
Now if you had something like a Serra's Blessing out there might be an issue, so maybe the ability should remove it from combat too, but then it would need to cost more to deal with what if it's blocking, or otherwise this card is really crappy.

How about this:

blankblankblank
2WW
Creature - Angel
4/4 (it just looks nicer than 4/3)
Flying
2: Put two +0/+1 counters on target creature the controller of blankblankblank controls, then remove blankblankblank from combat. Any player may play this ability except blankblankblank's controller.

Maybe it should be more expensive anyway, or maybe I should say that only opponents can play the ability. The point is you have an undercosted creature. Now throughout Magic undercosted creatures (especially in white which has horrible fatties) have usually had severe disadvantages. I'm trying this type of ability out to see what constitutes a disadvantage, and how much of a disadvantage it is.

With the other one

(Traztrom General
4G
Creature - Beast Soldier
3/3
Untapped creatures you control get +2/+0 and have "Tap: You (the controller of this ability) lose 3 life. Any player may play this ability.")

I'm glad you like it but I'm also concerned with the life. I thought that untapped creatures would get this cool bonus but your opponent can "switch them off" for 3 life. 3 life is an issue though, both because it might be too much and because mana might be better.

Considering that this is untapped creatures that we're talking about, and if they're offensive they're not going to stay untapped for long, why don't I change it to this:

Untapped creatures you control get +2/+0 and have "Sacrifice a land, Tap: You (the controller of this ability) gain 1 life. Any player may play this ability."

How does that seem?

Thanks for the help!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ohhh....I get them now. Those changes you talked about seem good. Cool. What do you think of Slomages cc being 1G?

Simmons
Artifact
At the beggining of each players upkeep, that player must choose either to skip drawing a card, or not to play spells that turn.

Dance of the Chosen
2GG (Probablly 3GG)
Sorcery
Each player searchs his or her library for all legend cards and puts them into play under their control, tapped.

Channel Alter
Artifact
When Channel Alter comes into play, choose a color.
Sacrifice a creature you control: Spells cost you 1 and a colored mana of the chosen type less until end of turn.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Drainer
Artifact
At the end of your turn, destroy all tapped creatures.

Dead of Night
1B
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. Whenver a creature you control deals damage to an opponent, you must discard a card. If you have no cards in hand, lose 2 life.

3GG
Enchantment
When ~this~ comes into play, sacrifice any number of permanents.
3: Target creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of permanents you sacrficed when ~this~ came into play.

Lake Creeper
1UW
Creature - Elemental
Lake Creeper cannot be blocked.
Protection from all colors.
1/3

F

FoundationOfRancor

Metal Decoy
Artifact
When Metal Decoy comes into play, tap target creature.
As long as Metal Decoy is in play, the tapped creature doesent untap during its controllers upkeep.

Convert
W
Instant
Target enchantment or artifact becomes your choice of an artifact, or enchantment.
Draw a card.

F

FoundationOfRancor

GumRingPen
1W
Enchantment
When GumRingPen comes into play, search target players library for a card. Show that card to all players, then put it back into the controllers library. Shuffle that library afterwards.
Whenever the named card is being cast, sacrifice GumRingPen and destroy all creatures. They cannot regenerate.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Coke
1G
Sorcery
Untap three lands.
Draw a card.

Classic
3G
Enchantment
During your upkeep, for each 3 basic lands you control of the same type, you gain 3 life.

Chad
2GG
Creature - Genie
If ~this~ is the only creature you control, it gains +3/+3, and cannot be the target of spells or abilites.
2/2

Staff of Cool
Artifact
When Staff of Cool comes into play, draw a card.
If Staff of Cool is the only artifact in play, it gains, "2: Reshuffle target card in a graveyard into its controllers library."

Control Hammer
2R
Instant
Control Hammer deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
2: Shuffle Control Hammer into your library. Play this ability only if Control Hammer is in your graveyard.

RoboCard
3WW
Instant
As Robocard is being cast, you may search your library for a copy of RoboCard and put it into your graveyard. For each card you put into your graveyard this way, you may destroy target tapped creature.
Destroy target tapped creature.

Macate
3GGG
Enchantment
During your upkeep, you may seach your library for a creature card, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Thinner
3B
Enchantment
During your upkeep, search through your library for three cards and put them into your graveyard.

Toco
1GGG
Creature - Genie
You cannot gain life.
5/5

F

FoundationOfRancor

Blaher
1GG
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. Its controller may pay 3 to regenerate that creature.

Dont Use Steroids
2GG
Sorcery
Destroy all enchanted permanents. They cannot regenerate.

Sick
1UU (Maybe 2UU)
Enchantment
Creatures cannot attack the first two turns since they came into play.

Dead at Dusk
B
Creature - Zombie
When Dead at Dusk leaves play, search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.
2/1

Wje
G
Creature - Wje
When Wje leaves play, target opponent searchs your library for a card and puts it into your graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.
1: If Wje is in your graveyard, return it to your hand. You may only use this ability three times per turn.
1/2

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

FoR: Check your PM box.

OK, now to give my opinion on all these cards....

Simmons
Artifact
At the beggining of each players upkeep, that player must choose either to skip drawing a card, or not to play spells that turn.

I'm a little concerned about the timing of this card.

Dance of the Chosen
2GG (Probablly 3GG)
Sorcery
Each player searchs his or her library for all legend cards and puts them into play under their control, tapped.

This is really good.

Channel Alter
Artifact
When Channel Alter comes into play, choose a color.
Sacrifice a creature you control: Spells cost you 1 and a colored mana of the chosen type less until end of turn.

I think that with all it can do this card should cost 3.

Drainer
Artifact
At the end of your turn, destroy all tapped creatures.

This is really good too.

Dead of Night
1B
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. Whenver a creature you control deals damage to an opponent, you must discard a card. If you have no cards in hand, lose 2 life instead.

I made changes directly to the card.
Otherwise this is great. Maybe even B.

3GG
Enchantment
When ~this~ comes into play, sacrifice any number of permanents.
3: Target creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of permanents you sacrficed when ~this~ came into play.

Somehow this doesn't seem too green to me...

Lake Creeper
1UW
Creature - Elemental
Lake Creeper cannot be blocked.
Protection from all colors.
1/3

This is great.

Metal Decoy
Artifact
When Metal Decoy comes into play, tap target creature.
As long as Metal Decoy is in play, the tapped creature doesent untap during its controllers upkeep.

I like this. I was also going to say it should be cheaper but then I realized "no, it's an artifact doing something the other colors usually do."

Convert
W
Instant
Target enchantment or artifact becomes your choice of an artifact, or enchantment.
Draw a card.

The only things you should change are to change "enchantment" to "global enchantment" and to write "instead of any other card type" at the end of the first line. That's just to fix any kids turning an Armadillo Cloak into an artifact.
At least I THINK this is what you wanted without the rules difficulties, but we can work on it if it's not.

GumRingPen
1W
Enchantment
When GumRingPen comes into play, search target players library for a card. Show that card to all players, then put it back into the controllers library. Shuffle that library afterwards.
Whenever the named card is being cast, sacrifice GumRingPen and destroy all creatures. They cannot regenerate.

This sounds like an LoTR reference, which sucks because I haven't seen it (although that may be why I'm wrong if I am).
It has that sort of feel though, and is pretty good. I'd recommend WW though.

Coke
1G
Sorcery
Untap three lands.
Draw a card.

Has this been a card yet? I don't think so. Good. Because it seems like the sort of thing that should be one, and it's always good to end up writing a card like that.

Classic
3G
Enchantment
During your upkeep, for each 3 basic lands you control of the same type, you gain 3 life.

So if you have 4 forests how much life do you get? 3, or 12?
We should work on templating this card so no one gets the wrong idea on purpose.

Chad
2GG
Creature - Genie
If ~this~ is the only creature you control, it gains +3/+3, and cannot be the target of spells or abilites.
2/2

This should read "If not, it sucks." :)
Oh well, a blastoderm without fading is always nice. I think this card is fine.

Staff of Cool
Artifact
When Staff of Cool comes into play, draw a card.
If Staff of Cool is the only artifact in play, it gains, "2: Reshuffle target card in a graveyard into its controllers library."

A selective Feldon's Cane with a requirement... nice.

Control Hammer
2R
Instant
Control Hammer deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
2: Shuffle Control Hammer into your library. Play this ability only if Control Hammer is in your graveyard.

...See I think this card is well costed but there might be some people at wizards who think it's a little undercosted in this environment (where people actually print Volcanic Hammer). But screw them :D It's fine.

RoboCard
3WW
Instant
As Robocard is being cast, you may search your library for a copy of RoboCard and put it into your graveyard. For each card you put into your graveyard this way, you may destroy target tapped creature.
Destroy target tapped creature.

I really like this card.

Thinner
3B
Enchantment
During your upkeep, search through your library for three cards and put them into your graveyard.

This card should cost a little more than that if it does it every turn. Buried Alive maybe isn't as cheap as it could be, but it's a sorcery, so it happens once, and it works on creatures only, and it's only 1 cheaper.

Macate
3GGG
Enchantment
During your upkeep, you may seach your library for a creature card, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.

This is well costed though.

Toco
1GGG
Creature - Genie
You cannot gain life.
5/5

In this day and age this isn't too overpowered. It wouldn't hurt to be 5/4 though.

Blaher
1GG
Sorcery
Destroy target creature. Its controller may pay 3 to regenerate that creature.

Interesting take on that... If we worked on the name people wouldn't say "why is this in green?" which would be good, not that there's much of anyone reading this anyway :p

Dont Use Steroids
2GG
Sorcery
Destroy all enchanted permanents. They cannot regenerate.

That's a great name. Good card too.

Sick
1UU (Maybe 2UU)
Enchantment
Creatures cannot attack the first two turns since they came into play.

This looks interesting... Don't cast it until after you attack though ;)

Dead at Dusk
B
Creature - Zombie
When Dead at Dusk leaves play, search your library for a card and put it into your graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.
2/1

Keeping in mind that its leaves play ability can be very good, I suggest BB. Maybe it can be 2/2 though.

Wje
G
Creature - Wje
When Wje leaves play, target opponent searchs your library for a card and puts it into your graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.
1: If Wje is in your graveyard, return it to your hand. You may only use this ability three times per turn.
1/2

This card looks good, but I don't know if it would be possible to make sure it only happens three times a turn, or just any number, because that number might reset when it goes from one place to another.

Slomage's being 1G only bothers me because it means few will use his ability instead of a 2/3... They've only just printed GG for 2/3 with no abilities...
Then again they could save his ability until later in the game when a 2/3 isn't so useful...
Then again, decks like Wood or trinity green might get it out and start using it soon...
Hmmm... I'll have to keep thinking about this. Of course you might have too, in which case I don't need to reinvent every reason for whatever cost... (although that was at least a month ago, so you don't need to remember it).

F

FoundationOfRancor

Simmons
Why are you worried about timing? Would making the choice trigger before the untap step be better?

Channel Alter
I think this card should be cut....never has there been a card that reduces the colored mana cost of spells. It makes some spells free....and free spells do nothing but fuel combos.

Dead of Night
I was thinking the same thing about the cc. B it is.

3GG
This card is not original, in flavor, or good in any way, shape, or form.

Metal Decoy
Yeah, i thought the same. It was origanlly cc'ed at 2, but its an artifact.

I really should get some sleep, and answer your pm thallid, its a big question you asked me. So I'll get to the rest of these later.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

It seemed to me when I wrote that post that Simmons is the kind of card you drop the turn before you go off. It's no Abeyance but it's sometimes about as good and considering that some decks (some anyway) splash white for Abeyance...
...I now realize I basically said it's a little bit shy of almost being a little worse than a fairly good card in Type I.
In other words it's fine and I'm stupid :p

Bone Lance
2R
Enchant Creature
When Bone Lance comes into play, put three spike counters on enchanted creature.
When enchanted creature deals combat damage to a creature, if the creature is dealt lethal damage, put a spike counter on enchanted creature; otherwise remove a spike counter from enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+0 for each spike counter on it.

Too wordy?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Convert
Yeah, that sounds good. That is what I wanted, I forgot about local enchantments.

GumRingPen
WW sounds good. Lol, about the name....on my desk at the time there was Gum, a Ring, and a Pen.

Coke
Do you think Coke is too powerful and to fast?

Classic
If you have 3 forests you get 3 life. If you have 12 forests you get 12 life. But if you have 11 forests you only get 9 life. How could we word it so it makes sense?

Chad
What about making it a 3/3, with a +2/+2 ability bonus?

Control Hammer
Yeah, I totally agree with you.

Thinner
Your right, this should be 3BB. But, this can also be a big drawback....but why would you put it in your deck if you werent going to break it? Your right, the cost should be 3BB.

Dead at Dusk
BB for 2/2 sounds good.

Wje
*shrugs* I have no clue.

Bone Lance
Bone Lance is really wordy, but I cant think of a way to change it. its a really good card.

Thanks for the comments Thallid

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Coke should lose the card draw. I think it should stay cheap and still untap more lands than you get so for that to happen something else has to give. I don't think this card for 2G or something is as useful. But right now it would be really good in my green deckwhich has a lot of really good stuff sort of like this in it already -- the fact that it would be good there just like that isn't such a good sign. It's good enough with 3. (Also it would be sort of like blue if it untapped two lands and drew you a card.)

Classic is fine. Oops.
I looked at the oracle text for Floodgate, which does something for every two islands. This is fine. I got it, I was just worried people would pretend they don't.

We could call it Pengnirmug... :) It's not quite backwards so it isn't too obvious.

Chad's good that way.

Wje could maybe be dealt with by changing the cost. Maybe you have to remove cards from the graveyard to return it... then again they did a lot of that last block. It's up to you to decide what I guess.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Sounds cool.

Emily
BB
Enchant creature
Pay 1 life: Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Pin
W
Enchant Creature
Whenever enchanted creature would deal damage to a player, prevent that damage.

Dimes
U
Sorcery
Whenever Dimes would go to your graveyard, shuffle it into your library.
Draw a card.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Emily has kind of a Hatred vibe... maybe more expensive.

Pin can be made stronger. After all you can play Spirit Link for the same cost.

Dimes is pretty balanced. It's a neat little cantrip thingie. I like it!

Tornado Djinn
2UU
Creature - Djinn
X/4
Flying
When Tornado Djinn comes into play, target opponent names X.
During your upkeep, return X permanents you control to your hand.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Just so this thread doesn't fall off the screen in the default page viewings......

r97622byby
3U
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has protection from red, protection from green, flying, and +0/+2.

w122wer
4R
Creature - Beast
3/3
Tap: Target artifact creature gets +5/+0 until end of turn.

iu7736
WW
Enchantment
WW: Target creature gains plainswalk until end of turn.

e144swg
2BR
Creature - Spirit
2/2
Flying
2: Creatures without flying get -1/-1 until end of turn.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Tornado Djinn
A couple things. I think that it could be worded better. Like "When this comes into play, target opponent calls a number"
And I think it should be 4+X/4.

r97622byby
Package

w122wer
I like it, but I think it should be changed to "1: Target artifact creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."

iu7736
Ok.

e144swg
Whoa, I really like it.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Power
RR
Creature - Ball Lightning
All artifact creatures get +1/+1
2/1

Chain of Cool
R
Instant
Search your library for three artifact cards. Randomly choose one. Put the chosen card into your hand and shuffle the rest into your library.

Golem of Awesome
Artifact creature - Golem
2/2

Misery, by SK
Artifact Creature - Golem
1: Misery deals 1 damage to target creature. Any player may play this ability.
1/4