Spiderman

D

DÛke

I don't know what I'm fighting for Gizmo, but I must.
...he “sat down with a bowl of popcorn to watch the towers fall”.
Gizmo was not speaking his opinion. He was speaking the opinion of a lot of people around the world. I got phone calls from Germany about the "good news." My parents got letters from Iraq resembeling the same thing. Gizmo wasn't doing anything wrong. A lot of people outside the U.S. were doing it. Gizmo happens to be in the CPA to speak of it. Through his words, you're not seeing his mind...you're seeing a reflection of what the world thinks of the U.S. DON'T you DARE point your finger at me. A lot DO enjoy your fall. Face it.
Called people names, used profanity repeatedly.
And I suppose you're innocent of it. You told me to "...shut the f**k up...", Arhar was enraged, Almindhra was whatever. I have no complaints. Everyone was doing it. Gizmo is not guilty of anything here.
Said that he wished more would have happened. Said that he wished more bombs would have hit, more planes would have come
He didn't say he really wished more damage to happen. He said he wished more "history" to be made. I don't agree with that comment, however, again...he was not reflecting his own thoughts alone. A lot of people outside the U.S. were thinking the same. Heck, some may have even wished more actual death to occur.
Called us sheep... Called us “spoilt children”... And more or less said that we deserved it
Man. In case you don't know, let me shed some light on you. Out side the U.S., the world is different. People have suffered before. They're happy to see the U.S. get hit like that. They want you to feel mad. They want you angry and sad...because you've never felt it before. They feel that, finally, you feel their pains. That "spoilt childern" quote directly isn't Gizmo's. I've heard it in the news. I've heard from people around the net. I've heard it everywhere.

Conclusion: Gizmo may have been offensive, but he didn't say anything shocking in my opinion. I've heard all kinds of reactions from 100s and 100s of people from around the globe: some expressed sorrow, and almost equally, some expressed happiness. I know what's going on around the world. I don't agree with it, but...it's the truth.

Gizmo is 100% not guilty.

All in all...I suggest you ask yourself why are people around the globe acting this way. Don't tell me their heartless, because God knows their not. Again, my point of view is different than many others. This is not only Gizmo's opinion. It's not only mine. We're reflecting thousands and thousands. I think it's a sad truth, but truth nontheless.

D

Duel

Gizmo deliberately antagonized you?
Griffith, Rakso, arhar, et al.... do you think you will ever convince me that we should bomb the terrorist's country? Ever? But you keep stating it, like Gizmo kept stating it. And I keep stating it.

I keep talking like this for one reason, even if I never convince anyone, even if I become hated, if I slow this down, make you think through it just one more time, then I'm happy. If I can simply stop you from acting until you've calmed down, then I've done my good deed for the day.

I have had violent arguments with Duke about many things. I've been screamed at by the CPA for everything from Baskil's top 20 to Aaron Forsynth, and I've never left. Ever.

The only thing Gizmo has done that has dissapointed me, the only thing he's done worth being dissapointed in, is give up.

I stated that I was scared when I hear people, even terrorists, being referred to as "animals" and took flak from it calmly, happily, almost. I had at least, I hope, made people pause for a second.

I just wish that people would stop hitting gizmo here. I feel dirty. I worry, now. If I leave, will you do the same to me? Talk about how awful I was? Will my "goodbye" thread, with the exception of the token comment of sadness by Zadok, be people talking about how the disliked me, and how they are better off without me?

I'm dissapointed. In Gizmo, for leaving. In some people here, for gloating and reveling in his sadness. In myself, for not being able to stop it. And in the CPA, for being torn apart like this.

Stop. Please.

Z

Zadok001

Peace, people. Gizmo has an opinion, and has expressed it. That is his right. You disagree? Sorry, no amount of complaining is going to get him to fall back.

Peace. This is NOT the time to argue with each other.

G

Gizmo

I hadnt been back here since I posted this thread, and didnt intend to. In the end I just came back to see if anybody had replied. I find this pile of bile has been left where I stand.

I upset people. I often do. Thats the price I pay for choosing to say what is on my mind. I almost never intend to make people, that is just often peoples reaction to a firmly held viewpoint, as in this case.
Im here to defend myself and say this: I DID NOT write anything I wrote to start fights. In every single case without exception I closed off and hit 'Submit Message' in the full expectation that would be the post that would bring people around to at least see my side of the argument, even though they were certain not to agree with it. In each case the opposite happens, it appears several people here are simply too emotionally charged by the feeling of bloodlust they have to actually be able to read and rationally digest what people have said.

This has led to a list of things which I have said being repeatedly posted here to slander my name. I, every case my words have been deliberately placed out of context to maximise the damage to me, and in some cases are outright lies.

That I swore: yes I did. I think in moderation to many people on here. If I`m the only one to swear then, well... I dont need to put anything else because I KNOW I`m not the only one to swear.

That I ate popcorn: metaphorically I did. It was gripping TV, like any major world event you care to mention I was simply glued to my screen sucking it all in. I am, by nature, an analytical person (why I`m good at Magic) and I also hold a degree in History and International Relations. My thoughts as the towers fell were not of the people inside, because at the time I didnt think anybody was still in them, I was thinking of how big the numbers were going to be and so how big the commensurate response was going to be. I also partially wasnt thinking about anything, I was just watching slackjawed as unbelievable things happened.

That my dad danced with glee: yes he did. Well, except for the dancing, cos hes old and fat and couldnt dance for £1m, he laughed a bit and sort of wiggled his finger in the air. My dad can be a singularly unpleasant individual, and he doesnt like Americans, for some reason. But EVERY TIME this is mentioned do people then go on to quote what I actually said which was 'which I thought was a bit much', no.

Called you sheep: NO I DIDNT. PLEASE DONT LIE ABOUT ME. I NEVER USED THE WORD SHEEP COS I DONT THINK THAT IS IN ANY WAY APPLICABLE. That was Lotus Mox I think, who said that. I would say the response of the American people was entirely different to that of Bush, who was running around a half dozen places looking for the biggest concrete bunker to sit in. The American people went to help, and I think their response of violence was an individual reaction. Possibly that does make it worse, that you didnt need a month of propaganda to make you want to kill people - you came to that decision entirely on your own.

Spoilt Children: Im sorry, I think that description is possibly the most apt that I have heard from any commentator. As much as there is worldwide support and unity for your plight, there is worldwide disquiet at the apparent willingness of the US to lash out ASAP. You have to recall that until recently the US was perhaps the safest place to live other than Australia in terms of terrorism and this sort of thing. You HAVE been able to live lives that have been relatively spolit by this good fortune, and it IS the case that your first response to this sort of event has been one of anger and not of acceptance and rationality.
Half the people here, possibly more, have reacted correctly - which is by acceptance and looking to turn this to some good. A few, however, have chosen to respond with pure emotion and no reason, reason is the difference between us and the rest of the animal kingdom.

That you deserved this: AGAIN A LIE. In fact I categorically stated that I thought the term 'deserved' or anything like it was inappropriate. I am simply trying to illustrate that anybody who thinks that these people have not decided to target the USA just for the fun of it, or because they are mad. It is because the US is a tremendous clear and present danger to their way of life, and they feel that they have no other option to achieve change than to attack you. The US is NOT perfect. I dont say this to anger anybody, I say it because it is simply true, it is a relevant fact for this information and to place the events in context.
Im not sure this IS like Pearl Harbour, I think its possibly a more accurate analogy to the beginning of the American War Of Independence, where they tried to strike back to throw off the yoke of unwanted foreign interference. The choice of target casts the attackers as the villains, not the heroes, but nevertheless this was NOT an attack that occured without context.
That context does not excuse that attack, or the tragedy that occured, but it DOES help in understanding it.

Id also like to briefly tackle the 'Heal Thyself' quote that people have been quoting. I wrote that in response to somebody whos basic post was "Those bastards, anybody who wants to kill people should be killed, and Im going to do the killing myself". Im sorry. I found that at once hilarious in an ironic way, because in one sentence he managed to cast himself in the exact light I see him - as identical to the terrorists - and yet didnt realise it.
I also found it very sad that he wanted to kill people, and definately thought that he, like all people who want to kill people, should start by killing himself then see how far he got after that.

Ive deliberately antagonised nobody.
Ive put my thoughts on this event calmly and rationally. I swore, I believe, once. If you think I didnt post rationally, then read my posts again, because I did - believe every post I made was like this. A logically progressing piece, because I dont know how to write any other way.
My thoughts are no more disturbing to you than yours are to me. Yet I have not felt the need to slander you. I have instead NOT reacted angrily, I chose to walk away rather than upset you further. Fine, slander me some more.

Griffith: The point is that I WAS THERE when something like this happened to us. And I WASNT angry. I didnt grab a gun and go over to Ireland looking for people, which I think is what would have happened in many cases in America if this had been an attack from, say, Mexico. That is the salutory difference I am trying to attract your attention to - YOUR response to this is an eye for an eye, which is wrong. You response to this is to strike back, which is wrong. Your response to this is to kill, which is wrong.
My response is to see that it never happens again.

Id like to close by saying that somebody here has said it would be fine to kill 100,000 arab children and civilians if they got the dozen people who did this at the same time.
I dont think anything else needs to be said about my point of view.

D

Dementia

Originally posted by Gizmo
My thoughts are no more disturbing to you than yours are to me.
That sums up pretty much everything about this fighting. It would be nice if everyone could slow done and consider what they are saying. Try to see how it is seen by people with different points of view. All of you should ask yourselves before you post "How exacty do you EXPECT people to react."

Remember that this is not an even playing field though Gizmo. You life is going on as normal. Our whole way of life is in question now. Do you truely expect us to act "normal"?

N

Neil Rigby

Just a quick note on the uneven playing field comment; We do not expect you to carry on as normal (yet), but Gizmo was pointing out that both He and I have been in a similar situation (if not as large) when a bomb was exploded in Manchester and millions of pounds of damage was done. No lives were lost (due to warnings given twenty minutes before they detonated them) but massive parts of the city centre had to be rebuilt. Our 'way of life' here in England has been put in question as you say for many years now because there is no saying what a terrorist group will do next.

D

Dementia

You have had time to deal with it. We have not. We are still trying to deal with this. Imagine it this way.....someone has just dropped a first turn Lotus, Mox, Mox, Mox, Raging Goblin, Hatred on us. Wouldn't you be kinda annoyed if that just happened to you and someone came up to you right away and listed ALL the reasons why you should have expected it and packed Force of Will?

I am NOT saying you have not gone through this. I am very sorry if you have felt the way I feel right now. It is horrible:(

You and Gizmo both live in England I take it. After seeing what happened on these boards I had a disscussion with my one of my buddies in England. I asked him......

What is the feel over there for what has happened here? Is there a "They deserved it" kinda of feeling over there?

And he said....

Very very very little. Most of us feel sympathy for the families and friends of the victims. We had a 3 minute moment of silence that was recognized by almost everyone.

That is not word for word. Then he said....AND NOT IN A "SEE HOW IT FEELS" type of way.....

We know how you guys feel! We have had to deal with the IRC(I am not sure if that was the letters:() over here for 30 years.

Maybe that's what you and Gizmo are trying to express as well. Not a "See how it feels" sentiment. Maybe you are trying to express a "We know how ya feel" type of statement. But it's not really coming out that way.

G

Griffith_se

Originally posted by Dementia

Maybe that's what you and Gizmo are trying to express as well. Not a "See how it feels" sentiment. Maybe you are trying to express a "We know how ya feel" type of statement. But it's not really coming out that way.
Gizmo,
That is exactly what I have been trying to point
out.

I don't even disagree with You (et.al.), on a lot of points.
You make valid points, heck my Dad even said
"I knew this was bound to happen" I knew this was bound to happen too.

I have just been trying to say that, I take offence to your timing and tone. You absolutely
sounded antagonistic to me.
I compare it to harassing someone at a funeral.
I still don't know if you understand or not, but
I really, really don't want to fight with you.
I don't really have a "kill'em all, let God sort em out" attitude, I hope I don't sound that way.
You would probably laugh if you could see what I
look like, 5' nut'n a hundred and nut'n.

I'll extend an olive branch to you, take it if you
want...... or not..... I'm willing to try.

If, if, you sincerely meant what you said, that you where not trying to be malicious, trying
to rub Americas nose in it, then I apologize.

I just think whoever wants to blow their stack
(these are only words mind you) has aright.

Can we make peace? Can we make peace in this tiny
piece of the world(CPA)?

If we can't then.... I don't know.....

Besides, neither you, nor I can do a flipping thing about it anyway.

Fear, this bickering is all about fear.
Fear of the unknown.
These emotions have had my guts in a knot for
6 straight days now.

Is it wrong to be a flag waving patriot?
This is my team, and I'm behind it all the way.
Is that a bad thing?

S

sageridder

Excellent post griffy,you hit my feelings on this square on the head.

D

Duel

thank you, Griffith. I don't know about the other who share my view, but I felt personally attacked.

You, and several others, do seem to have a "kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out" atittude, to me, which was what worried me in the first place. I'm glad to know you don't. But you still seem angry. IF we attack, I hope we don't do it in anger or vengeance.

And, while whoever want to blow there stack has a right.... remember that enough angry people can just make each other angrier until they do something stupid. One needs look no further than the violence against arabs or any street gang to see that. I DO NOT WANT THIS PLACE TO REACH CRITICAL MASS. Talk is dangerous, as you know. Especially when, like so much of your talk here, it advocates action.

Words are fine. Tell us how angry you are. Don't tell us that we should kill people. That's a threat, on them. If you had singled out a person, there, it would be breaking the law.

I don't want to fight. I don't want to fight them or you.
I'm glad you're a patriot, but if you shove me into the line of fire for the sake of your patriotism, I won't forgive you.

G

Griffith_se

Well, I'm sure we still have differences of opinion, but lets just leave it at that.

And I am angry as well as sad, and sickened, probably will be be for a while, but
I promise I won't kill anyone, OK. (half hearted) :)

Is that fair enough?

D

Dementia

Originally posted by Duel
Talk is dangerous, as you know. Especially when, like so much of your talk here, it advocates action.
This talk is not dangerous at all. No matter how much anyone here curses, rants, and yells it is not dangerous one bit. Unless of course if you mean that it will permenatly divide people on this site from one another. If you do mean that....well, I am sure these harsh words can be forgiven in a couple weeks when everyone has calmed down.

Words are fine. Tell us how angry you are. Don't tell us that we should kill people.
I think can understand your point here Duel. I have used the example of "Going up to a person grieving about there mothers death from cancer and telling them she deserved it because she smoked. Thinking about it now I think a better example would be that you go to your friend and tell them that your mother was murdered and saying you are gonna kill the bastards that did it to her. Now, a lot of people would try to calmly explain to them that killing them will not help at all. Seems like some of you were saying that. You were still adding in the part us basically "Deserving it" though. So I guess you can understand why people got upset.

I don't want to fight. I don't want to fight them or you.
I'm glad you're a patriot, but if you shove me into the line of fire for the sake of your patriotism, I won't forgive you.
Come on...your being a bit dramatic here. What line of fire? Griffith's patriotism isn't going to do that to you......all it does is serve to give her some comfort in a very bad time.

Man.....think about it guys. Duel is an American too. He must be just upset about this as we are......LET'S GIVE HIM A BIG HUG AND MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER:)

Z

Zadok001

Ah, good. I'm glad we have something vaguely resembling a peaceful discussion now. I was about two rants from shutting this thread down. :)

To put it very simply, I think we all really ARE on the same side here. The lines that have been drawn are not between the Americans and the English, or between the angry and the sad, but between us and the terrorists. If we go about trying to cause grief for each other, we've lost. We have to stand together right now, even if we have different viewpoints, we need to present a united front.

I stand for justice, not for vengeance.

A

Apollo

You know, I’m starting to believe that Griffith_Se is really my alter-ego, because I’ve found that every single thing she’s said has reflected me perfectly. Except for the part about “5' nut'n a hundred and nut'n.” :)But that’s besides the point. It's not about Gizmo's ideas; I too, agree with some of them. But, as Griffy said, the timing and the tone of most of his posts really did make it seem as if he was deliberately trying to get us ticked.

I could echo everything else Griffy has been saying lately, but that would be pointless. So I’ll just address some random stuff.

I worry, now. If I leave, will you do the same to me? Talk about how awful I was? Will my "goodbye" thread, with the exception of the token comment of sadness by Zadok, be people talking about how the disliked me, and how they are better off without me?
You’re being really melodramatic, Duel, and it’s kinda silly. As we’ve said about 10 billion times, now, it’s not about the opinion. You’re welcome to that. It’s about how the opinion is presented.

DUke: actually, he did say that we was hoping for "more planes, more bombs."

Now, I think I oughta mention what we objected to with Gizmo’s posts (not just to rehash stuff, but in hopes he might understand why we were so mad):

The popcorn thing: You might have meant it metaphorically. But we had no way of knowing that. And think about it: can’t you see how that would have offended us? Would it not have taken 2 seconds to come up with a better way of phrasing it?

The use of language: yes, I did swear (and I should apologize to you, DUke, cause that was unnecessary). And I probably called someone a name somewhere. And so have some others. But it’s random exclamations like “You prick!” that have no context around them that I objected to.

If you did not make the sheep comment, I must apologize. I coulda sworn it was you… anyway, sorry.

This thread: I must mention that the fact that you replied to this more or less proved my point that you had no intention of leaving and were more or less just trying to create a splash.

“Spoilt children being smacked for the first time” and “deserved it”: these two go hand in hand. When children are smacked, it’s because they’ve done wrong and deserve to be punished. And spoilt children are children that have not been punished when they should have been. So when you say that we’re “spoilt children being smacked for the first time,” you are basically (as I see it) saying that not only did we deserve it but, because of the “spoilt” part, it should have happened sooner.

Your father dancing: Actually, you never said that you “thought it was a bit much”. Please reread your post. Again, I’m sure you can see why this would provoke us.

You saying that you were hoping for more planes and bombs: well, this one is pretty obvious.

Please, look at us from our point of view, and you’ll see why we thought you were trying to provoke us.

D

Duel

What worries me is that if enough people tell ANY elected official to do something, he'll listen, for fear of his job. That's what I mean by someone's patriotism putting me in theline of fire. Enlisting is fine, feel free to. Don't draft me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It seems a lot of the arguments are referring to those posted right after the incident when emotions were running high. It's been almost a week now and (hopefully) people have had time to think things through. I did this before but I'll do it again:

The viewpoints can be broken down as:

A blanket war against all Muslims and Middle Easterners: A few might still hold to his view but are keeping quiet.

A "surgical" war to take out those solely responsible: I belong to this camp. I'm thinking Gizmo goes here too, if I understand his later posts right.

A way to punish those responsible without resorting to war/violence/killing. I'm thinking Zadok goes here.

Just do nothing; turn the other cheek. I think Duel goes here.

No one should be attacked for what they believe (unless it's based on false info and then that should only get clarified/cleared up). No one should be attacked if they want to join the army or move to Canada.

Duel: That's the test of what a politician is made of, if he'she'll really go with what the constituents want, even if that's the "wrong" decision. Some might pass the test, others might not.

Only one representative from Congress voted against giving Bush the $40 billion or whatever to fight against terrorism. She was from Berkely, an historical place for peace anyways, but how many of the other 400+ representatives actually followed what their constituents wanted? (I know I'm arguing the "other" side here, that it would be more appropriate if I could use the peace side, but I can't so I gotta make do :) )

G

Griffith_se

That would be ironic.
If you have Gizmo right, then he and I agree.

Hmmph, imagine that. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to dig up his post if you want proof, but I'm pretty sure he said that. Either that or "terrorists in general" and I was extrapolating from it.

E

EricBess

Spidey,

I don't think you have Gizmo wrong. I don't know if he actually came out and said anything that would indicate it, but I definitely got the impression that we wasn't pro-terrorist. I think he would like to see terrorism stopped as much as everyone else.

His viewpoint was a bit harsh, in my opinion, but it was reasonable. I think he could have worded things better because he came across as callous a few times, but I think he would agree with you.

Personally, I think I fit somewhere between your second and third ideas. It would be nice to be able to seek out and punish those responsible without resorting to violence. However, I don't really see this as realistic, so a surgical war is in order.

Now, a note to Gizmo if he ever checks back -
I think you are overreacting. Perhaps you have been wanting an excuse to get out of the CPA for some time now. If so, I wish you well in what life brings you. I am not you and I cannot see all of these posts from your viewpoint, but I think that the majority of people here, whether they agreed with your posts of not, respected your opinion. I didn't see much that I would put into the "flame" category until this post was started.

Anyway, please realize that emotions are awfully close to the surface for a lot of people right now. And probably for you, too, for that matter. Please don't hold that against anyone.

R

rkoelsch

I don't think that Gizmo really intends to quit the CPA. I think it was a statement showing his aversion to some of the more radical statements that were flying around. He has since posted a tournament report so I guess his quitting Magic has been reversed also.