Linux Troubleshooting Storm: A New Beginning (from the makers of Crapstorm)

turgy22

Nothing Special
It's picture time (courtesy of MS Paint)! Here is an approximate layout of Dr. Swol's compound:

The three dots in the bottom middle are Pete (brown, on the wall), Pikachu (yellow) and Melkor's Ghost (grey). Red dots represent foot soldiers. The two dark grey dots on the right are the steel toads (only one has moved, so far). Ward is blue. McGill is green.

At the moment, Pete is not close enough to any foot soldiers to actively engage them with his web. His choices are:
1) Engage the two foot soldiers approaching from the outside (bottom left) which would require him to wait for them to arrive or move in their direction along the outside of the wall. Pikachu and Melkor's Ghost can voluntarily engage them, as well.
2) Help Pikachu up and over the wall and go inside the compound. From there, the group of three can go left and attack the lone foot soldier, go straight and hide in the large building, or go right and attack the 8 foot soldiers waiting inside the gate.
3) Run back to the gate from the outside and help Ward and McGill.
4) Something else that I haven't thought of yet. I'm sure there's many more things to be done or tried to do, but there are only three places to get in a fight. (Four, if you count the inside and outside of the gate separately.)

Finally, I'll attach the picture so Spiderman can see it, too.

Attachments

D

DarthFerret

Due to a few issues, won't be able to fully respond until tomorrow or wed.

R

rokapoke

McGill suddenly has a brief out-of-body experience, seeing the battlefield from a bird's-eye view. Based on this revelation, he silently and subconciously wills Melkor's Ghost, Pete, and Pikachu to clean up the lone foot soldier and assault the main force from behind.

He also silently dissents with this instinct, instead willing Melkor's Ghost, Pete, and Pikachu to check out the large building to try to find the shard.

McGill's subconscious is torn. He may need therapy after this adventure.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Dr. Swol uses his foot power to give this thing a re-boot. No more slacking!

Pete helps Pikachu up and over the wall and descends down the inside of the compound between the wall and the building. Melkor manages his way inside the compound through some magical nonsensical means. No one of that group has been spotted yet.

Meanwhile... in front of the compound... a battle rages on.
The steel toad launches a steel amphi-beam at Ward. Sophia blocks the beam, which slams into her, breaking off a wing.
McGill dashes in front of Ward and Sophia and swings his violin at the toad. It hits the toad's back making a loud "clang". The violin is dented. It's hard to tell if anything happened to the toad.

R

rokapoke

"This steel toad must rely on low friction at its joints. Ward, let's try pouring some of our castle sand on the toad -- perhaps that will clog up its joints enough that it can't move. Then we can try to direct its firing mechanism toward the various foot soldiers."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, they're the ones with the higher cranial capacity. Pikachu is just a lackey. An electrified one, to be sure, but a lackey nonetheless. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sophia! I am sorry. I had not realized the toads can shoot lasers or whatever that thing was.

Don't worry about me. Just help McGill.

With the right anagram, perhaps we can attack and defend at the same time...

Ward puts Sophia down and assumes a horse stance. He lashes out with his hand and chops...

...the letters R, R, G, G, Y, O, I, T E, and A, from his one-winged granite gargoyle. The letters are sent flying toward the foot soldiers. Sophia is now a one-winged angel.

Now, let's do something about that amphi-beam...

Sophia casts Wall, shielding the party.

turgy22

Nothing Special
The Die of Indecision comes tumbling down from the sky. It lands on three.

Pete, Pikachu and Melkor's Ghost decide to investigate the large building directly next to them. They climb in through a window.

The building appears to be some sort of barracks for the foot soldiers. Two walls are lined with bunk beds, 10 in a row. Next to each bunk bed is a small dresser. On the far end of the building, to the group's left, there is a door. On the other end of the building, the front door is open and light from outside is coming in. There's also a more open space with two long tables set up, with benches on two sides. There's a low wall, like a counter, dividing another section of the building, located right next to the front door. As far as anyone can tell, the building is empty.

The steel toad compresses himself, then hops fiercely into the wall, toadally annihilating it. Ward gets knocked back from the power of the hit.
McGill takes the moment to run up behind the toad and dump his castle sand on it. There's no effect yet.
Letters come flying at the foot soldiers, but they're all currently protected by the wall of the compound. The two soldiers on ladders peering over the side duck behind the wall and all the letters fall harmlessly to the ground outside the compound.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sophia casts Shadow Flare on the Steel Toad. Ward elects to taunt the steel toad.

You destroyed one wall, but so what? I believe it to be merely luck. I would wager that you are not able to destroy that wall so easily...

Ward points to the wall protecting the soldiers.

Go ahead and try. Try to destroy that wall. You will not be able to.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I felt there was already an overabundance of foot references.

No, not really. I just didn't think of it. Change the previous post to say that there were a pair of foot lockers at the foot of each bunk.

Melkor

Well, we should check them out, though I doubt we'll find the foot shard simply by pawing around. Lets search quick and then hoof it over to the hut to help out the others at the gate.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Melkor's Ghost, Pikachu and Pete hastily check the rows of foot lockers. Most of them are locked, but they do find a variety of items that they can divvy as they see fit:
The party acquires... 3 foot powder bombs, a right ankle bracelet, a foot soldier uniform and a tin-action figure.

McGill pats the castle sand bag around to make sure it all came out.
The Shadow Flare hits the toad. You are now fighting a warm steel toad.
The steel toad does not accept Ward's challenge. Instead, he whips out his Steal Tongue and steals Ward's baby die. The die shrieks.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ward shakes the misprinted magic 8-ball.

Without a die, how will I ever make decisions in an arbitrary manner?

Sophia chops the steel toad with her wing.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ward looks at the misprinted magic 8-ball. But he's holding it upside-down. Oh look, there are instructions. The 8-ball says, "You're supposed to ask a yes-or-no question, doofus." Ward flips the ball back around and reads the response: "Reply crazy, try again."

Sophia chops the steel toad with her wing.
What kind of wing does Sophia have? I imagined, like, a feathery angel wing. How exactly does one chop steel with such a wing?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I suspected that probably no one would get the reference. Back in 1997 or so, the game Final Fantasy VII on the Playstation was all the rage. Oh yes, all the cool kids were playing it. Anyway, the villain is this guy named Sephiroth (which is already a word for some Hebrew mystical thing, but whatever). In the final confrontation against him, he fights the heroes in the sky, transforming into a monster (actually, I think he'd already transformed into monsters multiple times before this, but whatever) with feathery appendages where his legs would be and some halo things and with his right arm from the shoulder down turned into this big wing that he sometimes chops the heroes with. He gets this awesome theme music titled "One-Winged Angel." I saw that Sophia lost a wing and didn't want to waste the opportunity.