You Make the Card #3

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think it can follow the trend that the first two set. If it did, then it would be the most broken card in the game...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I mean Forgotten Ancient is very good and Crucible of Worlds is broken in half. I never followed the "make the card" thingies, but I've heard those two are the earlier products of this little deal.

If this next one were to be made even better, it would have to be pretty amazing...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't heard either one of them making an impact in the tourney scene, where "broken" counts for a lot. Especially Forgotten Ancient - there was some article a couple weeks ago on magicthegathering on how it seemed to have gotten pushed into casual play and not very much either (although I'd try to use it if I had one :) )

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Forgotten Ancient saw some use in tourneys, but not as much as it has potential. It hasn't appeared in tier 1 decks to my knowledge in any format, but I would not be at all surprised to see it there. It is a very solid card.

Crucible is another matter. Crucible is all over Vintage and will probably be a Vintage staple as well. I don't know how well it's doing in the other formats, but around here no one seems to be able to get multiple Crucibles because they are in such high demand. The GenCon tourney was saturated with Crucibles. It is cheap enough to drop with Workshop. It can form a constant LD engine against many decks with the help of Wasteland, or ANY deck with the help of Strip Mine. It recurs the Onslaught fetchlands. It recurs artifact lands for a Mindslaver/Goblin Welder lockdown. The card is completely insane and has made quite the impact on the tournament scene...

T

train

Crucible is utility broken - period...

All the more reason I love it...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh well, I doubt it will be that much of a problem. Still, I am apprehensive of the whole "make the card" thing...

T

train

But make the card, is our only way to "determine" an aspect of the game we will be playing with...

Except for the "Paris"...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Oversoul is talking about how the majority rules, so what actually comes out might not be what a particular person likes...

N

Nightstalkers

Looks like artistry stages...

Anyone here a good artist?

R

Reverend Love

I don't think crucible is all that broken. It sees play in one format, and it's controlling factor sees play in one deck, Workshop. It's a good card, but not nearly as powerful as I think it's being made out to be.

Nighty

I can sketch a stickman that would knock your socks off.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Workshop is hardly "one deck." But Crucible is probably an overrated card. Then again, really good cards tend to be viewed as such (except Bargain, which is pure cardboard evil and lives up to all of its hype).

J

jorael

#5 is the best piece IMO, so it gets my vote. It actually could be a lot of things. It reminds me of: souls, dreams, illusions, a character from the storyline, spirits, wind.

Perhaps we could finally see a interesting white card (as in not boring).

Attachments

M

Mikeymike

Crucible has "neato" potential, but it seems to be a tough card for people to play without delving into its brokeness. And yes, I do believe that Strip Mines every turn are broken.

Personally, I can't stand it because two guys in my group decided to start using it, and they just couldn't not use their Strip Mines over and over again when they came up, could they?

I don't know, I wanted to build a deck around it but A) Strip Mine/Wasteland kind of ruined it for me and B) they are so difficult to get now.

N

Notepad

But, they suck so freakin hard. Jesus Back Door Christ, do they ever suck! Man, to shame this is the best the cream of the Magic-playing crop could produce.

I'd vote for the sandman woman thing. Looks like it'd be a neat creature or spell. Either way. And that's cool!

But the rest...man. The worst has got to be hands down that crappy dark man in the cornfield thing. Man, what an abomination! And Orgg, sorry to inform you: That green MONKEY (not an orgg) is the second-oinkiest one there, man!

N

Notepad

:D :eek: :: DOES PELVIS THRUST DANCE :: :eek: :D

Oh hell yes! That is the art I wanted to win! It has quality, mystery, and finally, oh sweet glorious finally, a female with a nice face! Funny, it took a woman artist to focus on the importance of the gesture and face rather than the rack and butt. AWESOME!

You see guys, when you turn and ask your girlfriends "hey, this bikini amazon warrior killing the dragon is okay, right?" she's just lying to shut you up.

This was the only quality art in the whole bunch, and its great to see it win.

-Notepad, who's hoping he impressed the ladies with that snazzy speech ;)