WWYT: Round 7 Answers and Scores!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Time for a subjective question, although I can probably predict what the top 2 answers will be :)

Name the 5 worst Magic expansions ever.

PM your answer by Thursday, 4/27 by 7:00 AM EST.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This had a lot more answers than I expected.

Answers - Points

Homelands 11
Fallen Empires 10
Prophecy 5

Legions 4
Mercadian Masques 4
Urza's Saga 3
Betrayers of Kamigawa 2
Champions of Kamigawa 2
Dark 2
Legends 2
Mirrodin 2
Planeshift 2

And 1 pt answers: Alliances, Antiquities, Chronicles, Fifth Dawn, Ice Age, Judgement, Mirage, Onslaught, Portal, Saviors of Kamigawa, Weatherlight

Player (Score) - Game Points

turgy22 (32) - 5
Melkor (31) - 3
Jigglypuff (30) - 2
orgg (30) - 2
Ransac (30) - 2
Oversoul (29)
train (28)
BigBlue (26)
Limited (26)
Mooseman (25)
EricBess (18)
DarthFerret (17)

Overall Game Points:

Jigglypuff: 18
Ransac: 14
BigBlue: 10
DarthFerret: 10
Limited: 9
Oversoul: 8
turgy22: 8
EricBess: 6
Melkor: 6
orgg: 5
train: 2

T

train

I wanted so much to say Planeshift... but I figured the avatars would make it popular...

oh well...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
How could ANYone say that Urza's Saga was a bad set?!?!?!?! If you mean bad by "overpowered," then I agree.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I get the feeling that is why it was included by the people who listed it... it just unbalanced Magic for a while (same with the Mirrodin vote).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So close to scoring. But whatever, some of those choices make no sense. Prophecy was in the top three. Do a handful of really bad cards make an otherwise mediocre set into one of the worst ever? I'd say, "No."

Also, I do not at all understand what caused Mercadian Masques to rank so highly...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I voted for Prophecy, but not for Masques. I just felt like Prophecy didn't have much to offer. How many cards from that set can you name that have stood the test of time. Maybe Mageta. Maybe an Avatar or two. Maybe some of the counterspells, but ONLY because they're counters. The set was okay when it was part of it's standard environment. But, not much else.

EDIT: There's one card that has been consistently in the recent editions and that's Plague Wind.

Also, since I haven't played many recent sets, I did not vote for any Kamigawa.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's true about Prophecy, but The Dark has only two cards that have stood the test of time: Ball Lightning and Maze of Ith. Those are both quite good, but the rest of the set is almost all crap (there is an important exception here or there, like Tormod's Crypt). Prophecy has a few cards that are extremely bad and most of the rest is just okay. Some of them are quite good: Chimeric Idol, Plague Wind, Despoil, Avatar of Woe, and Spore Frog in particular.

And Legions? It did come in at number four, but still, how can you not despise that set? All creatures, what a terrible idea.

I should definitely not have picked Planeshift, as others didn't seem to think of it. But I would never have guessed some of the others, like Mercadian Masques and Urza's Saga...

E

EricBess

It's interesting how this game is so contextual. I asked a guy at work to give me some suggestions because I simply don't think about sets this way. I had to explain to him why certain sets might be considered "bad" here, while pro players might have a completely different take. For example, I agree that Urza's Saga was a bad set (I didn't put it though), but most pro players wouldn't.

I told him the example of "name 5 captains" and how one person it our group was putting sea captains while everyone else was putting Star Trek captains. His comment was that when I first told him the question, he was thinking of sports team captains... :D

This is just such a great game...(even if I'm not any good at it)

D

DarthFerret

Agreed. I put Mirrodin because of the overpowered thing. I pretty much went on a sabattical from Visions until Invasions. I also put down Fallen Empires (about the only points I got here....) And the 3 Kamigawa sets, because I dont like the way they tried to Japense MTG. I say stick with the fantasy/rpg background, and leave the oriental to themselves. But again, that is just me I guess (plus I hate that stupid Jitte!)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought of "bad" as meaning "much too good." But from a different perspective (bad for the game as a whole or something like that) I guess it's easy to pick the broken sets.

And I find it amusing that no one picked any sets from the Rath Cycle. This confirms my suspicion that it is the best block ever.

D

DarthFerret

No one picked Ravnica or Guildpact either ....

(Personally I really am liking what they are doing with that set!)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, the last set in this block is brand new, so it's not quite the same. All the old blocks (and even the new ones except for Ravnica) have representation here with the exception of Rath, which just so happens to be my favorite...

O

orgg

I will defend the fun of Fallen Empires until my dying day...

...but I put it because its so "legendarily" bad. Similar to Homelands, but Homelands was overcosted and underdeveloped.

L

Limited

Spiderman said:
I get the feeling that is why it was included by the people who listed it... it just unbalanced Magic for a while (same with the Mirrodin vote).
I totally voted for Mirrodin because I hated it. A lot of stupid broken cards which would only do something as part of a 6-card combo.. I don't really like combo decks to begin with, so this was no set for me.
I figured it wouldn't get a lot of other votes, but I had to express myself :)

Oversoul said:
Prophecy was in the top three. Do a handful of really bad cards make an otherwise mediocre set into one of the worst ever? I'd say, "No."
Also, I do not at all understand what caused Mercadian Masques to rank so highly...
Reputation.
I love the entire Masques block, because it has a lot of quirky rares and funny effects which require some innovative deckbuilding (in my opinion, of course). Still I put Prophecy and Mercadian Masques because it was 'the block after Urza' which 'totally sucked' and was 'a waste of cardboard'.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Orgg: Yeah, that was also my reasoning for listing Fallen Empires.

Limited: People actually said that? People around here like Mercadian Masques when it came out precisely because it lacked the craziness of the previous sets. I think I was one of the few that didn't care for it at the time (I liked Urza's block and still do). And they loved Prophecy when it came out, since it had stuff like the avatars.

L

Limited

Most of the guys I usually play with like Masques, but I know far more tournament-oriented players. They have expressed quite a lot of disappointment towards Masques block.

D

DarthFerret

I am dissapointed with the commons that I have aquired from masques, but as I stated earlier, I stopped buying cards around Visions and started again around the Kamigawa block...(actually more towards the newest one, Ravnica). So I only have a few of the others that I bought in bulk, and they are pretty much all commons. I really do not use many of them....

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm a little late responding, but I haven't had internet access all weekend and I'm finally making some progress in the game.

Anyway, all the sets I voted for on reputation alone, with no consideration for personal feelings toward the sets. Homelands and Fallen Empires are the traditionally bad sets. Prophecy has been labeled a bad set. And Legions was considered one of the worst sets ever as soon as the idea behind it was revealed. I also had Champions because I thought it was bad, but so did a lot of other people.

The only thing about this question that bothered me is that 12 people submitted answers, yet Homelands only received 11 votes. Who's the guilty party that didn't vote for Homelands? Perhaps Mooseman is simply trying to maintain his perfect record.