Worst rare card ever

I

Istanbul

...don't think we're counting rarity misprints.

I think the absolute worst rare has to fulfill the following qualifications:

1. Not a creature.

You can throw a creature in front of an attacker to chump-block, or even possibly attack with it for the kill.

2. Not be able to deal damage.

Again, any rare that can potentially kill shouldn't be in the running for the worst rare ever.

Following these two requirements, I still say that Lifelace is worse than Pale Moon; Pale Moon can at least shut down your opponent's Gaea's Cradle / Tolarian Academy for a turn, but Lifelace...I can honestly think of only two possible reasons to turn a card green, and neither of them are very good.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
But can you honestly find a beneficial use for Carnival of souls, besides Donate(because any crappy card can be Donated).

Ransac, honestly

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Carnival of Souls is a cool card simply because of its flavor text
" Davvol blast those elves, Davvol transport those troops, No one cares that today is my birthday " - Davvol, evincar of rath
Ransac is quite right about the donating a crappy card makes it good
Phyrexian war beast + phasing + donate hehehehe

C

Cateran Emperor

Carnival of Souls is not terrible in casual play. It's a long and silly combo, but Cloud of Faeries + Equilibrium + Soul Warden + Carnival of Souls = infinite black mana.

S

Smithy

Remember, (and it was only Destiny), when Donate came out and everyone, (okay nearly everyone), thought it was garbage until Necro/Donate did the Biz... Just consider your worst card...Is it really
that bad?

T

Taysir

Hmm... worst rare? Well, it can't be from Homelands or Fallen Empires... they only went to uncommon... I think that a fine example of a REALLY bad card would be a land that doesn't produce any mana... let's see... Oh... here's a land that REQUIRES mana to keep, yet doesn't produce any. PLUS, it hurts both players. I realize that it can be worked around, but my vote for worst card goes to Halls of Mist from Ice Age.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Icy Prison sucks oink!
It makes you read two whole paragraphs of text just to find out any player may pay two to counter this effect!!!
Now that pisses me off!

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

I would agree with Gizmo, except a) he forgot about this thread nine months ago and b) Great Wall is, sadly, an uncommon. Staff of the Ages is also very bad, though significantly better than Great Wall. Another bad rare is Flash.

M

manchot_13

i have had this conversation many many times with a friend of mine, and no matter what i say, he always says that this is the worst card ever. And so in sam's honor i present to you:

Sorrows Path
Land

Tap: Exchange the blocking assignments of two target blocking creatures an opponent controls. Sorrow's Path deals 2 damage to you and 2 damage to each creature you control.

yep, i have to agree....

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Sorrow's Path is an uncommon. Besides, Great Wall is worse. I have already spent a very long time explaining why in the thread "best card" started by sole specter in this part of the forum.

The worst rare.... hmmmmm...... this requires some thought... Despotic Scepter is up there as well... I'm just not sure.

D

Draconis

Despotic Scepter is perfectly playable :)
I was chatting to someone on IRC, and they were trying to build a block party deck, with a weird Banned list (They just used the Block Constructed banned list)

As a result, it was possible to build a fully functional Ice Age/Visions/Destiny Trix deck, with Despotic Scepter used to kill the Illusions after being Donated...

Just to say that again, this is Trix, with Illusions, Donate, Consult, Vampiric Tutor, DARK RITUAL :D, Brainstorm/Impulse, Underground River, Necro...

In Block Party :)

I think my vote for worst has to go to Great Wall...
Sorrow's Path can be Donated and tapped with Port :D

A

arhar

Wow.

Reading the first part of this thread made me sad, thinking how many people have left us...

... but reading the second page made me happy, because I saw how many great new people have joined us since then!

Oh, and if anyone's wondering, I changed my mind about Mercenaries. It's not such a bad card if it got me a BLUE-BOARDED special Cyclopean Mummy, courtesy of the Orgg - hey buddy! :D

I

Istanbul

Lifelace! LIFELACE!!!

Lifelace G
Instant
Target spell or creature becomes green.

H

HumanError

I'm sorry, this is going to sound really bizarre, but I truly and honestly think Abyssal Horror is the worst rare ever. I know there are cards that sit there and do nothing, but not many of them make you wait until TURN SIX before they can sit there and do nothing.

Abyssal Horror is bad. It's terrible. It's six mana for a 2/2. BFD. It's awful. It makes me cry. If I showed it to my little cousin, she'd probably cry. It sucks. I hate it.

Heehee.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Sorry Istanbul, but Chaoslace is probably a worse rare than Lifelace..... are you going to play a red deck and use a non-red creature but make it red to get bonuses from Gauntlet of Might or something??? That would be stupid.

Great Wall is the worst card though.

C

Cateran Emperor

Did somebody say lands that don't produce mana?

Seafarer's Quay
Land
R - Legends
All your blue legends may band with other legends.

Woohoo! Come on...erm...Ertai! Wait, no, let's not attack with Ertai...