Who still plays Magic?

N

Necrosavant

I haven't played in a looooong time. There's no one left I know who plays, and the only local tourney is on a day I have work <Sat in the afternoon>. I still follow it because I love the game, even if I don't get to play it. I like looking at all the different art and flavor text <usually>, the different stuff from each set, and the thrill of opening a booster and sifting through <one you start, it's like crack. at least to me ;)>, I still come here and to MTGNews to see whats going on in the game, hear what different people have to say...hanging out online.
That was a long story made short :).
Oh yah...I was going to go to the Planeshift prerelease <first organized tourney...yay!> but my car died the night before :(. So I couldn't go....

H

Hawaiian mage

I haven't played magic since middle school. I don't know what happened, but I guess I just found myself haveing mroe fun building the decks then actually playing them, and that seemed rather dull.

And to follow up with what Almindhra and Darsh said, I still come here becuase it's one of the best forums available on the net.It's got that whole careless appeal and lot's of people that would be able to drive out some new comer that trys to screw with any one. This site is a safe haven of the web, I honestly don't know why any one would want to leave...

D

DÛke

...and I'm happy that I did.

Two reasons.

...I don't have time to play, nor that much money to fulfill all the cards I really need.

...I hate Magic more than I hate my delirious mind sometimes - this feeling is like a firefly, it flickers. The feeling is taking shape though; becoming more stable. The shape - set on me hating Magic deeply.

The only reason I visit the CPA…

…To grin at that one joke that some will say…

...To see those couple of online friends I've made through the four-year period of my Magic life.

Other than those few friends, and some special memories, the CPA means nothing to me...

...Nothing.

M

mpgsheep

I currently play at lunch everyday for an hour. 2 hours after school on a friday. Then every night after school online. Then most of saturday online unless there is a tournament to go to.
Yeh im pretty much hooked. It costs too much though

T

terzarima

Magic?

I have to say, like many others, I'm a magic junkie. I play almost every afternoon (Except thursday, I have jazz band), and I come here every night and talk about magic, trade magic, and buff up on my rules.

And everyone who doesn't play magic, you just come here because you love us, right? :)

Y

Y The Alien

I haven't played Magic in 5 months. And if you haven't notice, I don't come here anymore :(.

D

Dementia

I love magic! I wanna play it all the time!

Unfortunately, I don't really get to play anymore :(

I got into the game with my sister and her husband but it's been about 2 years since we started, and now they have a kid, and a lot of bills so thier selling thier cards, super-dubber double :(

My mom also plays, but she has "fun" decks and hates it when I counter a spell or Plow Under her lands so I can't really play my best decks against her because it's no contest. Not cocky, just the truth.

If somebody(pleading on hands and knees sobbing like a bitch with a skinned knee) wants to play a game on Apprentice, tell me.

M

mpgsheep

I am always happy to play on apprentice(unless hungover)
My icq uin is 71850045 if you have it and want a game

F

FoundationOfRancor

Y the Alien!!! Where have you been man!?

Youve been missed:)

And because of this thread, I went and taught 4 new people magic, and had a pretty magical saturday night overall.

A+

M

MrXarvox

I used to play just about every day, but now I spend all my time after latin class with my girlfriend, and no one stays after school anymore...

Not like I don't still buy and trade and build decks though. And I sometimes get to play in B-day study hall...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This actually may need to be aother topic, as I can forsee lots of replies :)

Why do I still come here despite not playing Magic in person in at least 2 years and only rarely on Apprentice? Several reasons:

1. The people here are generally more than Magic.
2. Frankly, what Magic-related talk here is mostly about upcoming cards/opinions on sets which I would never really participate in anyway and Decks, which I can still help out if they're Extended or older. That's about two Forums. The rest is Voting (easy opinion) and Magic Issues (which is usually toning down/countering the heated rhetoric which may appear there). Single Card Strategies looks like it might take off, so I might have to add that to the former. Rules I can still help; you don't need to play to know the rules. And then there's all that Off-Topic and General Gaming.

So like everyone always says when we (mostly the Founders and old-timer activists) bring up on what direction the CPA should head, it's a coffee-house atmosphere and the CPA ha evolved into more tnan just Magic talk.

3. This is not intended to be a slam on Almindhra, but I could say I find it slightly odd that though you play Magic alot, you don't participate "proportionately" on the boards. I certainly don't think of your name as "active" when discussions on new sets/cards and giving advice on Decks. So why do YOU come to the CPA? Because you'll probably find most likely that your answer is pretty similiar to mine, in most ways... (like you, I'm just asking. There's no malicious intent here. But since you asked...)

D

Duel

| dunno, I always thought of mindy as pretty active, spidey. She's one of the CPA people. You know, the ones that consistently post, but don't post more than they need to.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Then it just may be my perception, then. But my point is the CPA is more than Magic now, which "justifies" why people still come here despite not playing Magic.

And who know, maybe they'll get in it again... ;)

R

rkoelsch

I will still come to the site as I do most of my magic surfing on my lunch hour but during the spring and summer I will be lucky to play twice. There are house repairs and the kids sports activities and vacations. During the winter months I try to play once a week. I have to agree with Spidey that there is more to the CPA than just Magic.
Look at the Off topic section. It probably has some of the most active posts. I used to play a game called Guardians and had subscribed to an email list. My opponents had left town and I have sold almost all of the cards months ago and canceled my email list. But I am thinking of resubscribing to the mail list not because I have any intentions on playing again but there were some very intelligent discussions on game play and some good friends that I have lost contact with. So in my typical rambling fashion I am saying I can understand why someone would read this board and not play Magic.

A

Almindhra

Actually Spidey, I've thought of that myself before...But I only contribute to Magic discussions where I feel I can really say something...I don't want to talk about something if I have no clue as to what I'm talking about...Now granted, I don't check all of the sections we have here...I go between this website, and I spend most of my time at Dragonmount, doing duties and all that jazz that I have over there...I don't post much here anyways...I mean, I check the boards on an average of once a day...And yeah, I know I've talk mainly on Off Topic...Oh well, I guess I'm just making excuses here...:D...

But, if some people aren't playing Magic, they must be doing something else...So wouldn't there be a message board thats more suited towards them?...Thats what I was generally saying (or if I didn't say it I was thinking it, really I was)...

Killer Joe

I still play, alot, and then some. Since I've started a magic club at school, I'm up to my eyeballs with magic (btw, I'm 5'6").
Also, why should anyone care if folks still post here if they aren't actively involved in MTG right now.
And lastly, if you do still play magic and do post here but not in the decks or other game related sections, so what!?
I give advice all the time (I'm also a known "Thread Killer" with my advice, too, so what!?), I still give it :).

D

DÛke

...and in fact, how much of the CPA is about MTG and how much isn't?

Look at the number of posts in the Off-Topic forum - the number greatly exceeds that of any other's.

To prove what has already been said, while the Casul Players Alliance is probably the most diverse place on the web for almost all kinds of MTG players, it is also one of the best places to find nice, general people.

My brother and sister hang out at IGN Music/Games/General forums every now and then...

...you know what...

...they both envy me for being able to come to the CPA. They're both non-MTG, but they sometimes sit and watch what goes on, on the CPA...they like it. Even IGN, which has god knows how many users, is not as "general" and "casual" as the CPA...

Besides, where else would you find people like those that inhabit the CPA? I know it's "stupid"...but the CPA has collected some of the most interesting net-personalities I've ever seen...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Almindhra: I understand what you're saying. Believe it or not, I don't like to say something if I don't know what I'm talking about. If I'm really curious though, I might ask questions to clear it up. But that's why I (usually) stay out of opinions about new cards and sets, for example.

But personally, for me, I do lots of other stuff that gets divided that another message board doesn't cut it. For instance, I play Baldur's Gate now, but it's been out two years and if I go to a message board, I could lurk to find out what's going on (instead of jumping right in) but I probably wouldn't feel "connected" with the people there for awhile. Same with Warhammer. On the other hand, I've been here a while and know the people here better. See?

YJ: They shouldn't! That's my point! Omigod! I'm using exclamation points! Whee!

D

Duel

Duke, congrats, you've convinced me. Ask Zadok, that's not easy to do. This place ISN'T about MTG as much as it is about the community here. The common interest is MTG, but it's not the key thing. There's a real sense of community about this place that no other message board I've visited has. I guess I understand. If I ever quit playing magic, I'd probably still come here.