Who still plays Magic?

S

Sidar Jabari

I think I'm quitting Magic.

I don't know why.

It's been 2 months since I've played regularly and I don't miss it. I don't think about Magic any more. I'm not really a Magic player. Yesterday, I found myself thinking about selling my cards, and realised that whenever I do think about Magic, that's what I generally think.

I am an obsessive kind of person, so, maybe I'm too into White Wolf's Storyteller system, and other roleplaying. Maybe I play too much Archmage (and Archspace!) on the internet. Maybe I do too much work at University. Maybe I spend too much time thinking about my girlfriend (and not enough time travelling home to see her). Who knows.

I just wanted to know how many other people don't play magic that much anymore.

I still play a bit of Apprentice though ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I barely play Magic now; haven't had a face-to-face duel in about 2 years and occasionaly play Griffy on Apprentice when our schedules match.

I kinda miss it, but I have so many other things going on that it's not that big of a deal.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I play every chance I get.

I draft on Fridays, and play a few casual pick up games.

I play in tournaments on Saturday, which are usually the current format of PTQs.

I think about Magic all the time. If I get an idea for a tweak or a new deck concept at work, I jot it down and build it when I get home.

I buy and trade on line.

I visit just about every Magic-related site on a daily basis.

There is a new playtest group starting in my area, and if I can justify a third Magic-related day a week to my wife, I'll be playing with them.

For me, it is a genuine obsession. I wish I could play more!

So, to answer your question, Yes, I still play Magic!

E

ErinPuff

Yeah, I still play.. my play group blows, but it's all I've got.. this weekend I'm going on a retreat with my church youth group, in which we're cut off from all things electronic.. so our only form of entertainment is Magic.. unless the psycho-Christians get on our butts for playing a Satanic game.. ;)

H

Hetemti

I play basicly every weekday at lunch, and usually every weekend or two.

I have too many cards. Half the time, when I think of Magic, I think of the 750 I have to sort and file...

Gotta get a binder.

N

NeuroDeus

I play about 3 times a week...i have only played for around a year so I still want to play more...

E

Elrond

I play almost every Sunday afternoon, and some Saturday mornings.

Z

Zadok001

I play whenever I can, and when I can't, I think about it instead. :) I love Magic - I can't see myself quitting until I have absolutely no one left to play against, and then, only if I have no one to teach.

I

Istanbul

I still play Magic...but to be honest, I'm taking a break from it. I've had a hard time finding *any* casual players locally for a long time now, so I'm currently trying to make a halfway decent Type II tournament deck, as well as a Sligh deck to take on my slow opponents in Type 1. Unfortunately, I need two more Cursed Scrolls for my Sligh deck, and while I have some innovative ideas for Type 2, I can't seem to settle on just one.

So...I'm taking a break from Magic. There's a tournament I could attend in about half an hour...but I'm not. Instead, I'm gonna sit at home and relax, chat, play Phantasy Star Online (to which I am *very* addicted), and just enjoy a breather.

A

Apollo

I still play every chance I get, but unfortunately, that's not often. Most of my playgroup never plays anymore, so my only chances are prereleases.

S

Sammy Dead-O

I play games whenever I can, and Magic's one of the best. I don't go to events very often...around one tournament a month, at most (so far; I'd like to increase that)...but I have a few friends to duel with. And I feel "involved" in the Magic world through the net and the kids I work with (and teach Magic to). It's interesting that a site like this would still draw people that don't really play anymore. I guess it shows that we're as much community as we are game.

G

Gerode

I'm able to play every Friday afternoon and every Saturday morning with two different casual groups. I also spend a lot of time deckbuilding and tweaking decks, and read a few Magic sites every day or so. I would like to play more, and I should probably start using Apprentice sometimes.

A

Almindhra

This is really sad....A bunch of people don't even play magic anymore and still come to this website...Don't you have any other hobbies?...

I play Magic, just about everyweek on Fri and Sat nights with my buds over pizza and tons of cokes...

F

FoundationOfRancor

I havent played a physical magic game since Nemesis.

I play on apprentice all the time though (Anyone want a game IM at GunslingerCS!)

...And of course, I love following the game, making cards, and just thinking about Levithans and Collous of sardia's going at it:)

D

Darsh

I think that you all deep down really hate magic and the CPA but you don't want to admit it.

M

mogg bomber

I still play magic, but not nearly as much as I used to. Most of the people who used to play around here have quit, so the only chance I get to play anymore is at the local comic shop on Wed. and Thur. when they have the weekly drafts. I haven't built a constructed deck at all in quite awhile though.

D

Duel

I second the slightly nauseated motion. You're all nice people, but if you don't play magic, why are you cominng here? I don't want to drive you away, I honestly want to know.

The only thing that could get me to quit is another combo winter, and then only if I couldn't get the combo cards.... And I'd come back eventually.

C

Chaos Turtle

I only get to play about once a week right now (about 20% of what I used to play) but that's going to change in a few weeks, since the local Arena location is going to start being open full-time.

Despite my drastic reduction in play-time, I still love the game.

If you don't play anymore, that's okay. It's your life, and surely no one thinks any less of you for making such a decision. It amazes me, though, how often the "Magic Quitters Club Members" act as though it's some big dramatic decision. You're going to have a long long life (I hope) and the things you like to do will probably change many many times. Get used to it. It's no more a big deal than the fact that I don't watch TV anymore. In other words, who cares? (I mean that in a nice way, btw, as in: It's your life.)