What card makes you cry when it is played against you?

O

orgg

Originally posted by Gizmo

You're all bitching about Illusions, but that deck would have been useless without the most powerful card ever printed.
Truth. I've got a deck that is based on donating Illusions. I always thought it was kinda funny. "here, YOU take it! I don't want it!"

The deck won a bit, but half the time I couldn't get the donate and Illusions with much efficiency(granted, it had little card draw and such, but still...). Michelle Bush broke the combo with Necro, plain and simple.

How would I imagine a donated Illusions? Well, read Monsterous Regement by Terry Pratchett? Y'know the Vampire's withdrawl symptoms? About like that, but you snap out of it while the other person doesn't.

T

train

You're all bitching about Illusions, but that deck would have been useless without the most powerful card ever printed.

That's actually an incorrect statement... the possibilities in Magic are endless...

Aura thief... juxtapose...

Aura thief... custody battle...

""... fractured loyalty - and "redirection..."

"" illicit auction...

""... infernal denizen

"" reins of power

Now - had Donate, and Aura thief not been made - maybe...

but I could probably find a way...

R

Rooser

Actually, all the Trix decks I played against were in the old extended and mono-blue anyway, so my "bitching" wasn't misplaced at all. Further, Mikeymike was right: we were complaining about Trix not for being too powerful, just for being a really boring and counterintuitive way to end the game.

I never lost much to trix, all you need is a blessed wine and you're safe.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Whereas I beat life-gain consistently with it, but that shows how much variation there is in the game...

Necropotence is a favorite of mine, but it's not the best card in the game. That title easily goes to the insane card-drawer: Mystic Remora.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I meant I beat life-gain with the Necro version. I don't know how the mono-blue would beat life-gain...

The Type I Rector version looks really fun though...

Any spell you can't counter? Yeah, they can only play so many of those though...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Reverend Love
You're all gurls...
Um, I guess by using a word that archaic, you're proving that you're not...

But what is the significance of this?

I

Istanbul

I will say this much: Necro is DEFINITELY the most powerful card ever printed. But second place easily goes to Ancestral Recall. The two in the same deck...brr.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Anything that contains the phrase, "counter target spell". GRRRR...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The power of a card is rather subjective. Thought Lash can easily remove your entire library from the game, which can be considered powerful, but without a way to harness that power...

Demonic Tutor contains the same card-getting power as Peak. Both get you one card. Peak does it for less mana and lets you see your opponents hand. But Demonic Tutor let's you pick which card, something very important. There are different kinds of power. Balance can wipe out all lands, cards in hands, and creatures for very cheap. I definitely call that power. Snowfall can produce some extra mana provided you have snow-covered islands, but the boost in mana is almost useless because of how conditional it is (really, the card can help pay for itself and only temporarily). Now, Tolarian Academy can produce plenty of highly usable mana. Some people consider that the most powerful card. How does it measure up to Necropotence? One gives you mana provided you are able to get artifacts out, the other trades life for cards. They have different kinds of power. Some cards are versatile and possess multiple kinds of power, like Rishadan Port.

Searing Wind packs more power than Lightning Bolt, but is worlds less efficient (not always true though, Opportunity looks better than Ancestral Recall under Dream Halls). I'd also say that Yawgmoth's Bargain is more powerful than Necropotence. It's also more expensive.

Being that speedy mana acceleration allows one to utilize all this power in cards, many people rank Black Lotus as the most powerful of cards. I'd say that it's a good candidate for the position.

I hesitate to put Necropotence (or any card) on a pedestal as most powerful, because of the variation in the game. I will say that it is probably the best card drawing engine ever.

S

Spuky

mine would be illusions of Grandeur, because i like to play sligh a lot and this god damn enchantment its something a sligh deck cant beat(only because is always illusions+donate)

Ferret

Staff member
In multiplayer, I would say that I hated Balance - because no one in our group played it w/o having an edge. Usually, it involved using a Zuron Orb to scoop up life, phasing creatures to get around everything dying and an empty hand to keep everyone from being able to catch up quickly. The only deck that I could actually stand a chance w/ was my psycho green deck that recovered insanely fast - as a result, I usually was his first victim :)

-Ferret

"Ah, nastalgia"

M

mythosx

Archane Lab...

I hate it cuz the guy smiling at me across the table usually has a fist ful of counters and a null brooch in play.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So make him use the Brooch to kill his hand. Then he still has a Brooch, but you can try to work around it...

T

train

you can't work around a brooch with a lab on the table...

You have to get rid of the lab - and the only way to do that is get a creature that destroys enchantments on the table...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
No, I mean as soon as the Lab player uses Brooch, he/she loses all the countermagic in hand and is only able to use Brooch. You can work around Brooch. It's hard, but unless your opponent can untap it with a Key or something, it can counter a Disenchant or other removal, played during the Lab player's turn, but then it cannot counter the next spell you play, on your own turn. Brooch also can't counter creatures. It's not a fun position to be in, but it is possible to work around it...