What card makes you cry when it is played against you?

13NoVa

what card makes me cry when played against me?

Tolarian Academy... because you KNOW they are gunna hit you with SOMETHING big!

R

Rooser

Yeah, I'm like Mikey on the Trix issue. I respect Trix for the fact that it is something born out of the players, and that it's evidence of the versatility of Magic, but this combo specifically just feels wrong. I don't say its "wrong" like it's terribly broken, I just say it's "wrong" as in it just doesn't feel right. Like Mikey said, it feels like an abuse of the rules. And flavor-wise it makes no sense:

You trick me into ... illusioning? ... that I'm grand? ... And so now I die?

Sure, any one-shot kill combo can be boring, and it's not like they all make perfect sense flavor-wise, but at least you end up dying for what seems like a decent reason - not because somebodygave you something as abstract as a faulty sentiment.

I just have a distaste for the whole thing.

R

Rooser

Well "realistic" is not really my concern, but mechanically, Trix just doesn't make sense. That's not how you're supposed to lose a game of magic.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did Illusions work before 6th ed. and the stack? I thought it was because of the tricky stacking triggers that it worked now the way it does :confused:

T

train

The illusions worked pre-sixth...

as it referred to the controller at the time the ability triggered...

the problem was getting it under your opponent's control as donate came out in destiny... the last set in Urza's block, and after 6th was released...

I

Istanbul

I agree. Donate was obviously used as intended, but Illusions was obviously very much a perversion of the rules system. Here's how I think it should have been errata'd:

Illusions of Grandeur (3U)
Enchantment
Cumulative Upkeep: 2
When Illusions of Grandeur comes into play, gain 20 life.
When Illusions of Grandeur leaves play, any player that gained life when Illusions of Grandeur entered play loses 20 life.

Illusions was meant as a 'save my butt as long as I can keep the upkeep going' card. Not as a one-shot kill mechanism.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Istanbul
Here's how I think it should have been errata'd:

Illusions of Grandeur (3U)
Enchantment
Cumulative Upkeep: 2
When Illusions of Grandeur comes into play, gain 20 life.
When Illusions of Grandeur leaves play, any player that gained life when Illusions of Grandeur entered play loses 20 life.
That and/or "if you would lose control of ~this~, lose 20 life.

Illusions was meant as a 'save my butt as long as I can keep the upkeep going' card. Not as a one-shot kill mechanism.
Totally agree.

G

Gizmo

I always cry with laughter when somebody plays a Plains against me. White sucks. It's the new Green.

Anyway, which card is the scariest card to play against?

Necropotence.

You're all bitching about Illusions, but that deck would have been useless without the most powerful card ever printed.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Which is what, Necro? Didn't people manage to get the deck to still work when Necro was restricted? Or maybe I'm thinking of Dark Ritual...

G

Gizmo

It worked, but no better than a lot of other decks and it simply wasnt the force it had been.

I

Istanbul

It's not the force it once was, but it's not completely useless. I still say Stasis is the card I weep from, simply because I know it's going to slow the game down to an agonizing crawl.

G

Gizmo

With Stasis though, you either know that he's not going to lose his lock in which case you concede, or you know that he WILL lose his lock, in which you'll win.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Gizmo
It worked, but no better than a lot of other decks and it simply wasnt the force it had been.
But wasn't that the point? To weaken it so it didn't dominate the format?

G

Gizmo

erm.

And you're proving my point because... why?

Yes that was the point. And so you've proven that Necropotence was the reason why it was a great deck, thus proving why I claimed it to be the best card. Which was what you had seemingly objected to.

Confused. Are you fer it, or agin it?

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Gizmo
Anyway, which card is the scariest card to play against?

Necropotence.

You're all bitching about Illusions, but that deck would have been useless without the most powerful card ever printed.
While you are correct, that still doesn't change the reasons why Donate/Illusions feels unnatural to many of us.

G

Gizmo

But the thread asked me what card made me cry. Necropotence.

Illusions was only good in conjunction with Necropotence. If they'd cast it outside of that deck, you wouldn't be crying, you'd be laughing!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually Giz, there's a slight difference between saying a deck is useless without Necro and then coming back and saying