Werewolf XVIII: The Haunting

Discussion in 'Games Run By CPA Members' started by turgy22, Aug 16, 2010.

  1. turgy22 Nothing Special

    The Players (Bold = signed-in):
    Rokapoke
    DarthFerret
    Ransac
    Mooseman
    Oversoul
    Modus Pwnens
    EricBess
    Melkor
    Spiderman

    The Rules:
    1. A majority of votes will be needed to lynch someone on the first day only. After that, whomever has the most votes at the end of the day will be lynched. In case of a tie, anyone casting a vote for someone not involved in the tie may be forced to recast their vote in order to break the tie. If that possibility does not exist, there will be no lynch. I reserve the right to modify this rule if I feel the game is dragging, but I'll notify everyone before making the change.
    2. All votes should be placed in bold and specified as votes, like so. Vote: Turgy22
    3. Dead players can spam the thread, but should not post any relevant information, thoughts about the game, or specific references to living players.
    4. Unless your role specifically allows it, you can't talk about the game with anyone else outside of this thread. If you have any questions, you can contact me.
    5. I'm going to start a new conversation when I send each player their role. If you have any night actions or questions about the game, please keep them in those conversations instead of starting new ones. It will help me keep things more organized.
    6. Each day phase will last at least 72 hours, depending on how quickly the game is moving. I will set a deadline for the day phases at least 24 hours ahead of time. Anyone may continue discussing things during the day phase until I post the day-ending story, which will include the results of that day's lynch.
    7. Each night phase will last at least 24 hours and include one weekday. Anyone with night actions must send them to me within that time frame or they will lose them. No living players may post or comment during the night phase.
    8. The villagers will win when all of the werewolves are eliminated. The werewolves will win when they outnumber or tie the villagers.

    Whew! I think that's everything important. I know a lot of this is common knowledge, but I thought it would be good to type out all the rules before starting each game, so everyone knows what to expect and in case we ever pick up a new player who might not be familiar with the basics. Now, onto...

    The Story:
    The road is long and lonely. Yet you travel along, each day a little bit closer to your destination. Your feet are sore and your head aches and the hot sun beats down upon your body. You take a sip from your canteen. It’s almost empty, but it should last another day. You venture on.

    A few hours pass by and the sky grows dark. You hear thunder in the distance. Then you feel a drop of water on your head. And another. You stop, reveling in the blessing of fresh water as it cools your skin. You open your mouth and your canteen, attempting to catch as many drops as you can. Soon, it becomes much easier, as the light rain has developed into a downpour. Lightning strikes, less than a mile away. You must find shelter.

    You move quickly along, the dirt road turning to mud, until you spot a light in the distance. You come to a crossroads and move in the direction of the light. From the side of the road, a small path shoots off, leading closer toward the light. You follow it, crossing a rickety bridge over a stream, and come to a small clearing, surrounded by a dense forest.

    Within the clearing, there is a semicircle of huts, with a larger building in the center. A lantern hangs from a post just outside the door of the building. You approach quickly, already soaked to the bone, and pound on the door. There is no answer. You wait a moment, then see a sign above the door reading, “All are welcome.” You open the door and enter the building.

    Inside is a large, open room. A fire burns in a fireplace, recessed within one of the walls. There are chairs and a few tables scattered about and some doors line the wall farthest from the entrance. You change your clothes and set them by the fire to dry, as you get close yourself to warm up. As you sit, more travelers begin to enter the building, each one wet from the torrential rain outside. As you all sit around, warming up and drying off, you naturally begin to chat and share the tales of your journeys and purposes on the road.

    Time to sign in. Everyone should post a message introducing themselves. Once everyone has signed in, I will send out the roles and post the rest of the story.
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    I think as part of #1 for the rules, everyone must cast a vote as well

    "Hey everyone! Come dry yourself by the fire! I'm still searching to see if there's any food..."
  3. EricBess Active Member

    I have a couple of granola bars in my backpack. If anyone knows a place nearby that I can replace them once this storm lets up, I'd be happy to share.
  4. turgy22 Nothing Special

    I usually make that a rule, but last game, some people didn't want to cast votes and I didn't really think it was vitally important as to force a vote. I'm going to try this game without requiring votes, but that may change in case of a tie or if things are moving too slowly.
  5. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    Man, I feel like I just walked through a swimming pool! I have never seen rain like that before.

    I do happen to have a nice bag of trail mix, and I'll be more than happy to spread the wealth until the storm subsides.
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    Ah. It just seems it could be a tactic by the wolves to withhold votes to not have anyone hang and then they can pick off the humans at night, but I guess it depends on how the game is run (since during the last, the wolves had to vote and weren't allowed to communicate, so that was a good offset).
  7. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    But only the first day requires a true majority... therefore, if two people withhold votes, the other people could swing their votes at one of the perceived wolves, thereby hanging a non-voter. Voila!
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    True. I guess it'll work out
  9. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    Wow, I can't believe that only three of us found this shelter. This must be the only dry spot for miles; surely a few more travelers will wander in. In the meantime, does anybody have a deck of cards or something to do while we wait out the storm?
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

    "Why yes, I do. What's your poison?"
  11. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

    DarthFerret walks in, his long leather duster dripping. He eyes the crowd, and then sits down by the fireplace, propping up his cowboy boots to warm his feet.

    "Ah, hey everyone, who is the owner of this extablishment? An I see a card game forming. Could I perhaps get in on that? Oh, by the way, name is DarthFerret!"

    He at one pulls out a stack of business cards and hands them around. You note that the card reads: DarthFerret: Wizard for Hire. There is a Chicago address under the name. At the bottom of the card, in fine print reads: "Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment. "
  12. Oversoul The Tentacled One

    Excellent, they'll never find my trail in this weather. Uh, I mean, I couldn't even see where I was going in this weather. Yeah, that's it...

    Does anyone happen to have a file or anything? I guess I was so distracted by weather or whatever that I lost the key to these irons that I put on my wrists and ankles for some totally innocent reason. So yeah, find me a file or something or I'll cut your throat just like I did...

    ...er, not actually have any experience with that sort of thing.
  13. Modus Pwnens Eligible for User Title

    Hmm, rain. I'll be right back, going to make one more small walk around these houses, then I'll be back inside and dry by the fire.. I love the rain!
  14. rokapoke Man Among Gods

    "Wizard for Hire," eh? You know, my brother got on a wizard's bad side a few years back. Now he just sits around all day clucking like a chicken. On the plus side, he and his wife are never needing for eggs for breakfast, if you catch my meaning.

    Me, I just run one of them squirrel circuses that tours the countryside. You know, trapeze artists and balancing acts. I had a chipmunk cannonball once, but we had a fire problem. Turns out that chipmunk flambe is pretty good, though.

    I wish I had a few of my squirrels with me now. I stepped away from my show three days ago trying to meet up with a man who said he had a hamster that could read fortunes. Well, it turns out that all he really had was a mole with a gas problem, so I kept looking for more acts. I've got the mole with me, if we're starved for entertainment.
  15. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

    Well, this is an easy way to get a shower...... The world smells better already...... I bit musky though. What? No women?
    Hmmm. kind of boring then. Anyone got a drink?
  16. Ransac CPA Trash Man

    *Suddenly, a nearby closet swings open and Ransac stumbles into the room.*

    Man.... I can't win. I try to walk in through the front door, but the place has been locked all weekend. THEN, when it unlocked, I walk in and find myself somehow trapped in that stupid closet.... smelly brooms.... ick.

    Ransac, cpa trash man
  17. Melkor Active Member

    *Melkor comes into inn pulling a small cart behind him and wearing a heavy backpack*

    "Finally, civilization, and a place to hawk my wares. Melkor's Magical Travelling Emporium of Mystical and Supernatural Oddities, at all of your service. As you will soon see, I have the finest collection of rare and valuable items you will ever see. While, I won't fully open for business til tomorrow, tonight I just want to let all of you know that I fully guarantee all of my products to perform better than advertised and to leave you fully satisfied."
  18. turgy22 Nothing Special

    The rain continues pouring down outside as the travelers rest and dry off, chatting quietly by the fire. A fierce wind blows over the building, creating a faint, but eerie howl. Everyone pauses to hear the echo within the rafters above. As the night approaches, you begin to regale each other with ghost stories, laughing at the absurdity of such tales, but also a bit frightened inside by some of the more realistic stories. Just as Rokapoke finishes telling a particularly frightening story about a ghostly flying squirrel that haunts these very woods, you hear a loud creaking from the back of the building.

    You all jump and turn around to see a shadowy figure standing in a doorway leading to the back of the building. His voice is aged but strong and he speaks with an odd hesitancy that gives you a bit too much time to think between his words.

    “You kids better watch the things you say. Ghosts are real and they know what you’re saying. These were people, after all, just like you and me. But now they’re dead and lost and looking for a way out. I’ve seen real ghosts. I’ve spoken to them and I’ve heard them speak. And if I’ve learned one thing, it’s that you don’t cross a dead man looking for a way out.”

    The man steps into the light. His weathered grey eyes look you all over, as if attempting to peer into your souls. He glances long and hard at each one of you, but seems to find nothing and relaxes a bit.

    “My name is Turgy22 and I’m the proprietor of this estate. Many a traveler comes by these roads and I’m not one to turn away any man in need of shelter at a time like this. Each of the huts around this building has a cot and a table and you’re all welcome to stay as long as you need. Unfortunately, I have no food prepared right now, but tomorrow I’ll whip up some breakfast before you continue on your journeys. As I’m fully self-reliant here, I don’t expect payment for the time you stay, but any goods or services you’d like to offer will be used by those who come by here later.”

    With that, he nods his head and returns to the back room, closing the door behind him. Suddenly overcome by sleep, you decide it’s best to make use of those huts outside. You each gather your belongings and sprint out to the huts around the building. It’s much colder out here, away from the fire, but you use the heavy sheets to keep yourself warm and eventually fall asleep to the sound of raindrops plopping on the roof.

    Everyone has signed in. I'll be sending out the roles now. Please do not add anything until all the roles have been sent and I post the next part of the story.
  19. turgy22 Nothing Special

    
    You wake up to a steady pat-pat-pat of raindrops falling on the roof of your hut. You stand up to stretch and then look outside. The rain continues coming down, lighter than yesterday, though not quite a drizzle. You dress yourself while you decide whether or not to continue on your journey or stay a while longer in the company of the generous Turgy22.

    You leave your hut and enter the main building. It seems that breakfast has yet to be made. You look around for a kitchen area, hoping to be of some help, and notice that the door to the back room is now sitting ajar. You move toward it and tap on it, quietly saying “Hello,” but there is no answer. You swing the door open and step back, horrified by what you see.

    Turgy22 has been killed and killed horrifically. The remains of his body lie strewn about his blood-soaked bed. Many of his internal organs seem to be missing and you think you even see large tooth marks on the exposed bones that jut out from his mangled flesh. You leave the building in a hurry and vomit outside in the rain before running back to your hut to lie down for a minute.

    When you’ve collected yourself, you step outside and see that the other travelers have discovered the same horror as you. How anyone could commit so heinous a crime against such a kind stranger is beyond your comprehension, but you decide that it’s best not to spend much more time in the company of these men. You all work to collect the remains and clean up the room as best you can. You bury what’s left in the woods nearby and begin traveling through the rain back to the main road.

    You come to the place where you crossed the stream, but the bridge over it has vanished, washed away by what is now a raging torrent of water. You realize that it’s now impossible to cross back to the main road until the water subsides and it will be better to take your chances with the potentially dangerous strangers around you than to surely die in the waters ahead.

    You all go back to the building and sit near the fireplace attempting to dry yourselves once again. You spend some time pondering the events of last night and trying to piece together what might have happened to poor Turgy22. You look suspiciously at Oversoul’s shackles, but realize that the murder was not the work of a common criminal. You turn your attention to DarthFerret and Melkor, wondering if perhaps their tinkering in the supernatural was the cause of this. But then you realize that this was much more than a simple magic trick. It almost seems like the victim was torn apart by an animal. You gaze at Rokapoke, wondering what sort of squirrel might tear a man apart like that, but dismiss that notion, as the tooth marks on the remains were much too large to be from any rodent – be it a squirrel, muskrat or even a badger. You consider all those with more generic introductions, wondering what they might be trying to hide, but know that all the contemplation in the world will not get you any closer to catching the culprit.
    A killer sits among you. But so, too, do innocent men. Now is the time for action, to find that killer and put him to death before your own journey is cut tragically short.

    The first day begins now. A reminder that a majority (5 votes) is needed to lynch someone today.
  20. Modus Pwnens Eligible for User Title

    Oh my.. oh dear oh dear oh dear, this is not good at all!

Share This Page