Welcome to the NEW CPA!

A

arhar

Hetemti - chill.

Obviously, I didn't use the word "professionaly" meaning as a pro-player, I meant the website now looks much more solid. Obviously, you don't expect a website about "casual play" ran by "casual webmaster". How good would that be?

Relax.

D

Darsh

Either I'm going insane or Ed has answered my calls for help. Thanks Ed!

H

Hetemti

Darsh-Both.
arhar-Kiss my grits. Sarcasim should not elude you.

O

Ogg

Wow. Just today, I was at the page. It was Black and Orange. Then I hit reload. HOLY ****ING GOD THAT SCARED ME!

I must say: It does look more professional, but it gives me a serious headache with the bright colors. And, being more of a 'friendly' site, professional isn't neccessary (at least not in my opinion. owww... My eyes... WAY too bright.

OGG NO SEE! OGG BLINDED! WHERE CPA! WHERE GOOD, AGREEABLE, EASY TO LOOK AT BLACK COLORS! OGG ALSO HATE SUN! SUN TOO BRIGHT. HURT EYES. (esp. after a windowless day at NRST...=P).

I'm afraid I'm only going to be able to spend small amounts of time at the sight with the changes... My eyes do, seriously, hurt. Now where's the damn gamma correction... Cya. My head hurts too much to continue.

[Oh-- A feasible correction would be to make the greys darker than the grey in this text box. That would probably help. Note that this was written a little bit afterwards, to keep eye strain to a minimum. And it's not that I don't like the change, it's simply that I have a hard time looking at it. --OGG]

[Edited by Ogg on 10-10-00 at 10:29 PM]

D

Duster

I personally dig the new layout, it's much easier on the eyes and not as dank and foreboding as it was. I felt like I was entering the webpage of Hell for a while :) Quite a bit easier to navigate the site too. Let's give Ed et al. credit for their time put into this place.

I totally respect everyone's opinions, and I'm sure Ed does too, but statements like "I think it blows" (paraphrasing) sure aren't going to help Ed out. Constructive criticism would be much nicer.

Anyway, so the saying goes, "You can please all the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time."

Yeah, I'm D

Z

Zadok001

Yeah, a lot of sigs are gonna have to be redone... But the design is VERY nice, clear, and simple. Excellent, IMHO. However, it might not be a bad idea to darken the foreground a bit (the greys to slightly darker shades), and then darken the background just a few points... It would keep people from complaining about blindness. (Although I personally like this layout...)

D

Duster

For all the people with only negative comments about the new layout...
GET OVER IT

Let's see you take over this webpage and be responsible for it. Enough said.

Yeah, I'm D

A

Almindhra

I put this on another thread in Suggestions...Ooops, see where my priorities are?...

Anyways, I think its too bright...And it looks like every other message board out there...I thought the CPA was definately an original layout...And I loved the icon...This just looks so blockly and clear cut with the white and blue...

But I do like the left hand side for categories...

U

Ura

Its nice work Ed. The layout is fairly easy to understand but I think its a bit to formal feeling, it does remind me of MTGnews, or goodness forbid, a blue and white dojo. *shudders*.
My biggest complaint is the color choices. I liked the old orange/red/black setup, it was easy to read and had a cosy feel to it rather then a hospital waiting room feel to it which is how it feels now. There is something great for looking professional, but do we really want to look like a bunch of doctors? Also this being a casual players site, just how professional do you want it to look. Blue, white, grey is just kinda plain and drab feeling, its very...sterile.

The lightbulbs on the message board do look really bad, any chance the old ones can be adapted, or better yet, the old colors be adapted to the new setup? :D
Is there anyway to widen the message collums? I didn't spend oddles of money on a 19 inch monitor just to only half use it? They look a bit squished right now.
And a last thing, sorry for bringing so much up. Its taking me alot longer to load the page now, especially the message boards and large threads, at least 10 seconds. While I know that I can wait 10 seconds of my life to read the boards, it is pretty annoying. So is there anyway to help streamline the coding to assist in loading times?

It is a great piece of work Ed and its your site, but when something isn't broke, don't rebuild it, just tune it a bit. :)

[Edited by Ura on 10-11-00 at 01:14 AM]

G

Gerode

AH, MY EYES!!! BRIGHT!!!
[me] looks at a Shiny Object (which has less glare) for comfort. [/me]
Deep breaths. Don't look directly at the page. Okay.

There is honestly nothing good that I can say about this new design.
1. I actually find the old dark page easier on my eyes. This new layout is sterile and dead.
2. What happened to the "Page 1 - 2 - 3" stuff on top of the screen that allowed you to jump from sections in the thread? Right now I have to go to the main topic page, then click "Page 2, etc" underneath the thread title, which is a majr inconvienience for me.
3. I hate having to scroll sideways to read stuff!
4. Are the fonts different? My Sig file looks odd to me.

S

Sleepy

I noticed that too. its kind of a pain when you've got to go all the way back to turn the page.

U

Ura

for the #2 thing.

The buttons to switch the page are still there where they always have been. They're just the exact same color as the background so you can't see them.

right beside

This thread is X pages long:

G

Gizmo

Gorgeous. I secretly hated the black/orange look and I thought it looked really outdated. This looks much more professional. Only just got here, though, so I might find it hard to use some of the features but otherwise I think it looks fine.

Top work!
:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
First impression when coming here: Ewwwwwww! :)

Second impression: This sure looks like MTGNews (which I only went there once yesterday to get the Apprentice update)

Third impression after thinking it over: I guess I could get used to this; I'm pretty sure I got used to the old layout though I mentioned something about it when I first came to the CPA (though darned if I'm searching for it).

So right now: prefer the old way and colors but could get used to it.

Problems I am having (maybe I'll mention them again in the Testing Forum):

1. The number of pages for a thread definitely needs to be in a darker color than what it is now; thanks to Ura for even finding it!

2. When I try to reply to an article from the main page (specifically, 'There is No Blue'), after I hit Submit Reply, a screen comes on saying it needs a 'article id'. And curiously, I don't need to enter a password to reply to a front page article; is this the problem?

3. Agree with the comments made about the lightbulbs in front of the forums: I think they should blink or make it otherwise more noticeable that there's new stuff in a forum.

However, KUDOS to the MORE button on the Most Recent Replies on the front page. I always have a problem coming back from a weekend and missing out on a whole bunch of replies. Thanks very much.

Oh yeah, a couple people have made comments about scrolling. I don't need to scroll when viewing a thread but when replying here I do have a scroll feature. Apparently it's not as bad as Hetemti's (all that wasted white space to the right! :)) and actually it's truly not a problem anyway, but I remember something about the previous layout sizing automatically to your browser? or screen size so I'm wondering if that's happening now.

I

Ihsans Shade

I gotta tell ya, It was quite the shock. I get up in the morning, get on a computer, go to the best site on the web, and instead of the familiar Orange and Black I get BLUE, AND GRAY! WTF! I'm still disoreinted, but it looks good after the initial shock of "did I get the right web site?". Looks cool though nice job Mike.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

E

EricBess

Hey, I must say that this is much less abusive to the eyes than red on black, even if some people don't seem to think so. I was just getting used to that, but I like this better.

I do agree that it is a shame about the ascii art. I don't know how much control you have over the vB code. Hopefully, you do because you could perhaps add a [*color="background"*] or something like that. Even finding one background color to match isn't goo enough because now you have two. Better yet, get spaces to fill properly (can you do that by setting the font or does it remove white space?).

One other thing, I can't get to the second page from the first, so hopefully you can read this... :O