Warhammer Quest: Death Below Karak Azgal

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath searches the corridor for traps and secret doors as they move along, and then listens at the east door and searches it for traps.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
East North, what's the difference down here. Was there something we have found that may lead the way or give us clues? Anyone?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It takes a moment, but Dorgath deduces that this door is actually a locked version of the same type of door through which you entered the corridor: it is barred on this side, but lined up with the wall on the other side and probably covered by a stone panel to disguise it. So the door would look like part of the wall to someone standing on the other side of it, and would be impossible to open anyway.

Open Secret/Non-Secret Door? Y/N

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath opens the door. This room seems familiar. Oh, you seem to be on the other side of the room with the stone Grimcrag Grunnson and the stone goblins. Unless there is an identical display in two separate levels of the dungeon, it seems that climbing through that chute has magically transported you horizontally, rather than vertically.
Map pending (when I have time).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Well, this is convenient! Now how can we use the dagger with the stone dwarf? Smash it? Hold it near the statue?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath holds the ornate dagger near the stone Grimcrag Grunnson. The stone dwarf is unresponsive. The image of Grimcrag Grunnson in the dagger seems, although it's hard to tell, even more energetic. Dorgath ponders striking the dagger against the statue, but looks to the others. They stare blankly for what seems like an eternity. Well, maybe not an eternity. But it sure seems like it's been well over a week...

And perhaps at this point, given the protracted nature of the journey and the fact that we've connected two different dungeon maps that are apparently from the same level, it seems like a good time to draw a map and retrace our steps (by which I mean I couldn't reasonably expect you guys to remember the layout of this deep, but if this campaign had been on a more normal timescale, it wouldn't be that hard).

thepitofdarkness07.png
You arrived on this level by a gateway that used Chaos magic and dropped you onto the floor in the middle of that tunnel, colored grey, on the southern end of the map. The doors east and west turned out to magically loop around. You found a secret door into the corridor, colored brown, directly north of the tunnel. The corridor had three other doors. The door leading north had a magic lock, so you couldn't get through it. The door leading west went into the room you're in now, which is colored blue. That room contains a stone Grimcrag Grunnson and two stone goblins. The door leading east from the corridor went into the magic circle room, colored turquoise. There was a cave-in and now that door is sealed off. You proceeded into the bent corridor, where you found three human captives claiming to be merchants that can reward you for getting them safely out of Karak Azgal. Then you went north into the well chamber. You extracted carved bones from the slime pit and found a stone chest with a bunch of items. Notably, you found an Apparently Blank Scroll, an Ornate Dagger with an image of Grimcrag Grunnson raging inside a jewel on the pommel, and a Black Lump that Dorgath insists is not coal (technically, the dagger and the scroll were supposed to have been found in the corner of the magic circle room, and I even put a marker there showing them on one of the maps, but then I forgot to ever note that they were there because I'm dumb, so I moved them to the stone chest with the other items, but whatever). You then flooded the room and escaped through a secret door into the ale store, the northernmost room on the map. In the ale store, you used your carved bones with a set of similar bones in an alcove to open a portal, seen in the northeast corner of the map. You climbed down a rope ladder through a narrow chute and arrived through the ceiling of Skrunch's Lair (the position of the hole in the ceiling is marked by a yellow circle). You defeated Skrunch and his savage orcs. You found a table with some crude orc drawings, and a bunch of apparently blank papers. You also found a note that Carrow read and a jar of "Speshul ANTI INVISIBILITI Paint." Then you went through the door into the T-junction. From there, you went east, and found yourself back in the room with the stone Grimcrag Grunnson. This means that evidently, the narrow chute was magical, as climbing straight down a long distance has caused you to arrive southwest of where you had started climbing, but vertically at the same level. And now here we are. There is still one magically locked door you don't have any means to open, and there is one more door in the T-junction, leading north. Dorgath has brought the dagger to the stone Grimcrag Grunnson, but hasn't done anything with it yet...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hm. Hoping to strike it lucky, Dorgath dips a finger in the Jar of Speshul ANTI INVISIBILITI Paint and wipes it on the edges of the Apparently Blank Scroll, "framing" it and hoping to reveal any traces of invisible writing.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The fluid is highly carcinogenic. Roll to avoid dying of hepatic cancer in 20 years. Heh, just kidding.

Dorgath wipes some of the fluid on the scroll. Some lines show up. It looks like a map!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"Just who or what is this Grimcrag Grunnson?"
Do we want him/it released or dead?"
"If this paper doesn't give us a direction to t go, let's check out the door to the north."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath reveals all of the hidden ink on the scroll. There is a crude map depicting the deeps of this part of Karak Azgal, with what passes for this level labeled with a gemlike icon. There is a larger drawing of a gem with a label "Da Star" scrawled next to it. The rest of the scroll shows three spells and how one is to go about casting them...

-The first spell talks of encasing the power of a magical artifact in blackness.
-The second spell explains how to capture a creature's soul.
-The third spell is an invocation to open a particular magical lock.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I thought elves had long memories. Maybe that doesn't go with long life.

Grimcrag Grunnson is one of the dwarves we were tasked to find from the beginning of the adventure; what we were hired to do.

So the second spell must have been used on Grimcrag, but no way to reverse it, it seems. The third spell looks like it can open that locked northern door. Since it doesn't seem like we can do anything here, how about we check out the north door to the west of us before tackling the locked door?"

Assuming assent, Dorgath leads the way to said door and checks for traps and listens.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"All dwarves seem the same to me."
Seems that if a soul can be captured it should be able to be freed. The dwarf in the blade seemed very excited to be near the statue.... maybe there is something to it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"I agree and I would love to free my kindred, but I don't know enough about magic and what we have to see if it's possible right now. Unless Kelgor can figure it out, I figure maybe one of the two (right now) unexplored areas may hold further clues."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Kelgar examines the scroll.

"Well, if there is some connection between his soul in the dagger and the magic that has turned him to stone, maybe bringing the two together would affect that. Judging from the postures of the dwarf and goblins, it seems that they were transformed instantly. That would mean his soul was not captured before he was turned to stone. Maybe the orcs or the chaos warrior wanted to revert the transmutation in order to recover the axe? Ironbeard told us it was some sort of ancient dwarven artifact of great power..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"All right, it sounds like we need to explore more. Let's go!"

Dorgath leads the way to the unlocked north door to the west, listens, and checks for traps.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This chamber has a sandstone floor and is lit by weak torches. Against the far wall are three treasure chests, lined up next to each other. One is open and shows a glint of gold.