War Powers Act

U

Ura

the last I heard congress was still wording up the release to allow the war powers act to be invoked. Though one draft that the media mentioned had the first line something like.
"we the congress of the United States of America hereby allow the president George W. Bush to invoke the war powers act and the authorization to use any and all powers, resources, and funds of the United States government and military forces to this cause."

Note this isn't a perfect quote by any means and its certainly not anything thats official yet, but its along the lines of their thinking and thats really scary. Just an errored blurb on the news I hope.

D

Duel

There won't be a draft, I think. Thank god. Dubya will listen to his advisors, everyone who's tried to fight afghanistan in afghanistan has lost. Everyone. If he does anything it will be guerilla-style or bombings. Small comfort, I know, but it's something.

War powers act authorizes just that Ura. I think the only thing he REQUIRES a war for is the draft. Not sure about that, though.

M

MrXarvox

All I can say is... Ahh zmeggin shyte! I turn 18 in a week. They better not be startin no war or I get draughted (yes I know it's the wrong spellign but I felt like it so there)

Z

Zadok001

It's "drafted" for the record, and I don't think we need to worry about it. This isn't a war that will be fought with armies. When we go to war (you'll note I've ceased to use the word "if," it's too late for that), it will be in two parts. We will be using conventional methods on the enemy, and the enemy will be striking us at home from our backyards. It won't be a war in any sense of the word we've ever seen.

M

MrXarvox

... but I feel like using this, more complicated spelling, which, in english, is still pronounced the same. Because I can.

I know that it won't be a war of armies. It will be a war of missiles, a war of civilian carnage, a war of terror. A well-coordinated attack could destroy the United States' defenses completely.
I am somehow not comforted by the probability that there will be no draft...

M

Multani

Right now, you hoot at the war looming on the horizon.
You thirst for the day when you will be deployed, so that you can avenge the attacks. But war is not such a pretty thing when you're in the midst of it. You will not think about vengeance. You will think about survival, and you will have regret ever enlisting in the army.
When you are ordered by your commanding officer to attack a city full of women and children, we shall she how well your conscience holds. Right now, you may want to kill everyone of those "bastards", but when you actually kill, we shall see how confident and arrogant you are about it.
You may come back victorious, but you will be so broken, so distraught at the destruction you reeked, that your victory will taste as bitter as defeat.

D

Duel

I agree. It's relieving to be able to say this more than once in a day about this issue. I agree. Multani, Zadok, I agree.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If the clause that says we will go after the countries that harbor terrorism is enforced, it is conceivable that we might invade Afghanistan (the top on the list) or have to defend Pakistan or other countries if the Taliban invades back. That would be conventional: army vs army.

I hope I know that war is terrible; however, I have a bit more faith that US commanders will not order "attacks on cities filled with women and children". They'll probably order attacks on "cities with soldiers, women and children", and even then I have faith that the latter will not be slaughtered indiscriminately. Can the same be said for the opposition?

M

Multani

Spidey, whether or not the Afghan terrorists kill women or children is irrelevant.
I fail to see why you brought that point up.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think you misread what I wrote.

I assume what YOU originally wrote was talking about US commanders ordering attacks on cities "full of women and children".

I was merely rebutting saying that I highly doubt US commanders would do that unless the cities were also filled with soldiers.

M

Multani

On the contrary, I understood the rebutting part. The only thing I didn't get was you adding in that last sentence.

E

EricBess

Zadok is right, this will be a very unconventional war.

With or without a draft, any one of us could end up a soldier in this war. I hope for all of our sakes that it never comes to this, but if forced into a situation, I hope that I can have the same courage and resolve shown by those people on the flight that went down in Pennsilvania.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
the point was that Afghan terrorists HAVE attacked women and children and thus have already crossed that line.

M

Multani

And again, we go back to my original question, which is what relevance does this have to the U.S. NOT killing women and children?
I mean, as far as I am concerned, the way your using this phrase seems to implicate that because the Afghan terrorists killed women and children, we should be able to too, without too many people berating us.
I mean, if that's what you mean do tell me. Please enlighten me on why you tacked that last phrase on.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You seem to be trying to read more into this than is necessary.

From my perspective, you originally seemed to be making a HUGE assumption about how the US will order attacks on cities filled with women and children. You seemed to have not considered whether in fact those cities would also be filled with soldiers, which is probably why the US would order such an attack in the first place.

My mentioning that the Afghan terrorists have already shown that they have no such compunction was merely in support of a person's choice of joining the army and not having to worry about attacking "innocent" cities.

A

arhar

Why do I get a feeling that patriotism is looked down on here? What's wrong with wanting to defend my country?

B

Baskil

Nothing wrong with defending your country.

There is something wrong with looking at the situation with blinders on.

M

Multani

Thanks you for your explanations.

Arhar: I came up with 'equations'
Country=Patriotism=Pride=Arrogance=Ignorance=Fear=Prejudice=Racism
Not all prejudices can be solved with education.
So...Patriotism, by itself is not bad...it is only the result of Patriotism, which can be disturbing.