War Powers Act

D

Duel

Bush has declared the war powers act. He no longer needs to consult congress before using military force.

NOW would be a good time to start panicking, ladies and gents.

In love, and whatever faith I've got left in humanity.....

-Russell

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, time will tell if he uses it "responsibly". It was invoked in the Balkan conflict, was it not?

D

Daggertooth

Like I said in other posts. If we do go to war I hope we wait for at least a few weeks. Going in with this kind of blood lust has the potential to create another Carthage.

Daggertooth

Z

Zadok001

It has the potential to destroy our country's long-lasting peace with the rest of the world.

I hope Bush has the slightest glimmer of intelligence, and knows that the warmongering American that he sees right now is NOT the America that will be there in two weeks. If he goes off half-cocked, I may very well decide that Canada is looking better and better...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
'long lasting peace"

You mean like the Iraqi no-fly zone, general tensions with China, various peacekeeping missions, that sort of thing? :p

D

Duel

Second spidey, here. And Zadok. I just hope he doesn't try and pull an FDR.....

A

arhar

WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Best news I've heard in a long, long time!!!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Speaking optomistically, I feel that he will use it responsibly, I hope.

Remember what everyone one the news has been saying. "We need to be have positive support for our President. If we don't, we will not succeed."

Keep in mind that Bush is relatively new at his Position. During WWII, Roosevelt had already been president for at least a decade, so he new what he was doing. Even Bush's father had some experience, because he was vice president for a time as well. Please, at least try to be supportive towards our president.

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Ihsans Shade

Yeah, but Bush should be pretty good at killing people. His record as govenor of Texas should make that clear.

;)

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

I

Ihsans Shade

I know, I was just joking about that. (please don't hurt me);)

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

F

fuzzy510

Now is the time to panic people. Bush couldn't handle a military if there were step-by-step directions for it.

I

Ihsans Shade

I'll give him a chance, but I don't expect nothing spectatular.

I am...
Ihsan's Shade

I

Istanbul

Bush couldn't find his butt with both hands, a map, and two Secret Service guys to help.

And now he has military power.

I KNEW there was a reason I kept my Canadian citizenship.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
He might be able to find his butt if he had his Security Council... :)

Let's remember that he has a bunch of advisors who I think he will listen to first before making any "declarations of war". And if he does, let's make sure that it was solely his decision before assigning blame (I know technically it is solely his decision, but perhaps the majority of his advisors counseled for it).

D

Duel

Right. That's my hope. Maybe his advisors will give him good advice.

B

Baskil

I would be so quick to dismiss him yet. (The cpa gasps as Baskil has positive words for GW)

A lot of the military decisions that are made are only finalised by the president. Who we really should be looking at is his advisors. And for that, I am actually grateful; his advisors know what the hell they're doing.

We'll be fine. The use of this act will probably only lead to Rainbow Six style actions, or if we're not intelligent about this, like the retaliation we had when those embassies were blown up.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Duel: Can you point me where the War Powers Act was invoked? I am reading yesterday's Washington Post and so far no mention of it...