Voting Issue: Should the CPA be about Magic only?

Should the CPA be about Magic only?

• Magic only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other games too

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doesn't matter, I'll stay anyway

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
R

Rando

I think you're being an alarmist. Nothing is dead.

Besides, what "life" is/was here that would be effected by the changes we have discussed?

H

Hetemti

That's my point. Instead of trying to bring it back to life, you run away.

So be it...I didn't kill it.

R

Rando

Run away?

I take offense at that. Great offense, in fact. I'm one the very few here engaged in dialouge, trying to find a way to keep the site from dieing.

I'm the one that stired this up, yes, but I take pride in my attempts at keeping my favorite site alive.

Running away would have been a shrug of the shoulders, logging off and never logging on again.

R

Rando

And further more, if this plan does work, and this site is invigorated, don't you dare have anything to do with it. After all, your site's dead, right?

H

Hetemti

Sure, the site, as a text-filled database accessed by an IP number and a script interface, will continue to exist, but the essence of the CPA will be gone.

"Don't you dare"
I probably will choose not to, because the people who made this site interesting have mostly dissapated, and for non-Magic discussion I have dozens of other boards that are much more topical. But it won't have anything to do with your posturing.

Take as much offence from my opinion as you like, it's no more weight upon my shoulders. Your efforts are not overlooked, but I personally feel they're misdirected.

R

rkoelsch

Hetemti what is dead about this site? Is it that particular people you talked to are no longer here? Or that Magic discussion is next to nothing? Or something else?

H

Hetemti

It's combination of all these things, plus the fact that it seems that everyone who remains aside from me and a pair of others just want to sack it in and start something else.

You ask what's dead about it? Well, the fact that people are trying to start something else kinda says MtG's been abandoned here. If abandonment isn't a sign of death, I'd love to be informed what it does mean.

Rando seems a bit touchy...perhaps he's trying to be a martyr-for-profit with all the labor he's putting into saving the site. Well, I'd be much more impressed if I knew how abandoning MtG for other games saves it. That's like buying a new car to repair an old one.

Yes, as said earlier, I'm bitter. I'm bitter because the CPA isn't about Magic anymore. Why do the current visitors want to go to other games? They aren't (I speak of majority here) Magic players. They're a bunch of other-game players who happened to have all wound up here via previous foray into MtG, and now want to steal the boards. So be it.

They didn't kill the CPA. The CPA was killed by all the ex-Magic players who ditched. And it's not their fault. It's nobody's fault.

The CPA was an experiment. And the experiment has failed. So, dump the remnants down the drain, wash out the test tube, and do something else.

My site is dead. It's been dead for a while. It died when the Magic players left. I'm bitter because I bought the BS. I thought that casual players had a chance at being their own group. Rizzo was right (hyperbolie aside). He was here for two months and he saw what the CPA was and was becoming. And I saw it too, but I screwed up and I bought into the garbage that some people call "hope" or "optimisim." Casuals are exactly the scrubby chaff the tourny players refer to them as. They play for a while, then drift...and drift...until they go away and "branch out" into other games because they made "friends" (i.e. people to argue with) and they need new topics because none of them play MtG anymore. (Any true contacts are maintained over IM, not these boards, anyway.)

As for me...I'll be here today. I might drop in tomorrow or later next week, too. And I'll observe like I have for the last six months, watching, perhaps even "hoping," that something positive will happen. But I doubt it. And probably by this time next year, assuming the CPA as a site still exists, spam and flames will be up 80%, 20% of the regulars will remain, membership count will be up 25% (a good portion single-posts about g4m3 w4r3z requests and people who sign up a dozen times to spam), and the "casual Magic commuinty" will be just the same. Nonexistant.

At least I won't be missing anything.

See, I don't, and never did, care about CPA as a site, sites don't mean Jaques Merde. It's the community that matters, and the community is dead. It died and is trying to be reborn as something else wearing the mask of it's previous form.

Don't bother. You're wearing the façade right now, and it isn't working.

So, judging by the current course of events, soon I will move on. I'll still have my cards, I'll still go to prereleases, I'll still pick up some random old school cards for my T1/cas decks, and CPA will fade away in my memory. I'll remember a few names of the people who impressed me, and I'll remember a few names of the people who proved their immaturity, and on random occasion I'll (out of habit) come to the site when I'm thinking of boards I hadn't checked recently. And if contrary to my prediction, the site's active and lively, you'll receive my congratulations on a job well done. But it won't be my site...my community...any more. It will be the CPA, but in name only.

It'll be yet another general game site with the same general chatter about general game news procured from some other general game site's general news section...just one of a myriad of sites offering nothing special against any other.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That was quite impassioned Hetemti. Slightly misdirected, and more than a little embittered, but quite passionate.

Been there...Done that...

It didn't help 2 years ago, when I wrote Utopia Lost , or when I tried to get the group to ratify the old Mission Statement and was greeted with a near panic response that the "Coffee House" atmosphere here was to be protected at all costs...

So this is, indeed, what we have evolved into. A bunch of broken down, former Magic players who, by and large, still care about the game, but no longer support it actively (i.e.: to the tune of $300.+ per year).

But guess what? The Coffee House is still here, and the people who made it great are too! :eek: Sure, we're not all as into Magic as we were, but we're still gamers and we still like hanging out here. Thank God we did protect the Coffee House, as it turns out, because the community we have here is more important than any single "game" we play, even one as great as Magic.

So relax. The forums will still be around, and we'll always hold a place here for Magic talk. As someone stated earlier, one should never forget their roots, and we don't plan on doing it either. In fact, the only real changes as far as I can see will be adding to the whole, not taking anything away from Magic at all, and if by bringing someone here to read a D&D article by Rando exposes them to Magic, and they start to play, we've actually added to the game of Magic by changing, and not taken anything away from it.

Wouldn't that be cool? :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm in agreement with Hetemti that I'm sorry that Magic will lose its primary focus here and I am also sorry that most of the people who I started with from the Dojo are no longer around.

But, I think you gotta evolve, and if Magic isn't cutting it, opening it up to other games is worth a try, another "experiment" if you want to look at it that way :)

Speaking of which, Ed has said he's try to code a new layout "soon", so I guess we're gonna have to wait until he does it instead of having too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

Well, I'm in agreement with Hetemti that I'm sorry that Magic will lose its primary focus here and I am also sorry that most of the people who I started with from the Dojo are no longer around.
Magic lost its "primary focus" about a year ago...

Furthermore, I agree with TomB.

Look, we all agree that the CPA is only unique because of its community, or its "essence," as you like to refer to it. These new improvements can't kill the CPA, because we will attract, once again, the casual players -- this time around, from other games.

We're not trying to kill that essence, but we're trying to increase it. In fact, this whole idea is based on resurrecting the fading essence.

I would agree with everything that you said if we're excluding Magic from the improvements, but we're not. We will still accept Magic articles. We will still have our prominent Magic roots. In fact, did you see those forum suggestions above? Yeah...those. Magic gets to have its own forum, while everything else will be in one forum. You can't say that doesn't show a sign of appreciation for Magic...
Hetemti:

And probably by this time next year, assuming the CPA as a site still exists, spam and flames will be up 80%, 20% of the regulars will remain, membership count will be up 25%...
You're right here -- that would happen if the CPA doesn't take action right now. But we are taking action...
Hetemti:

..."casual Magic community" will be just the same. Nonexistent.
Name one casual Magic player that does not have any other interests, like other card games, or video games? Go ahead...I'm waiting. There aren't any. In order for us to be fully "casual Magic community," the site will have to reflect who we are. No one of us, and no casual Magic player, plays Magic only...so why is our "casual" website dedicated to Magic only? You know what that's like? It's like dedicating a whole site to a single PS2 or XBox game. A single game. How do you expect it to live in the long run on such narrow basis? Sure, it's hyped in the beginning -- if you're lucky, but how many times are you gonna discuss that game? Same goes for Magic: how many times are you gonna discuss mana curve, Sligh...and all that junk? It gets repetitive. Now, given an environment in which we can't complain in, and since we've already discussed all there's to discuss about Magic...the choice becomes clear, you either leave the site and go play the now perfect casual game that is Magic, or...you could like the community here so much, that you come here and talk about other things.

I don't know how the CPA would turn out if it were to change. The results are very blury. Would we really attract a wider, casual audience, or what? I can't tell...that doesn't mean we shouldn't try...

R

Rando

I would like to know haw anything I have done or am doing would point to me as trying to be a martyr or profit from anything.

Yes, I am touchy about this. I'm activly trying to do something to turn the site around. Adding other games into the mix will in no way take away any Magic talk that is already here. No one once said anything about dropping Magic.

I am niether a has-been or a scrub...well, I may be a scrub. But, I still spend upwards of $500 a year on Magic, in tournament fees and cards and transportation. I have made a few top 8's, but obviously have never "Q'd".

Aside from occasionally posting a deck, I have never used this site for any Magic stratagy or deck ideas. No one that pays to go to tournaments does, and never has. At least not if they want any chance of winning.

I came here in the great exodos from MTGnews in the summer of 2000. Many people flocked over here at that time to escape the jerks and freaks over there, who were and still are legion.

I'm here because I like the people and the atmosphere.

I'm offering up ideas to help a failing site out becasue I don't really feel like tracking the scattered masses across the internet from message board to message board if this site were to ever go under.

So, yes, I guess I am profiting. I'm profiting by maybe, maybe, being able to continue to visit a site where I'm not entirely nameless.

But a martyr? I just don't get that one at all.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from occasionally posting a deck, I have never used this site for any Magic stratagy or deck ideas. No one that pays to go to tournaments does, and never has. At least not if they want any chance of winning.
Honestly, I hope people don't come here looking for tourney advice. There's so many other better places for that.

But even the casual/non-tourney talk has lagged. And that's what's too bad about this place. And why I think going to other games shouldn't matter.

D

Duel

I'm a little at a loss....
Guys... the reason I'm here is the people who come to the CPA. The fun discussions....

I'm not gonna argue that we should be closed to other games

But think about it like this for a second.....

The Casual Player's Alliance, as a Magic: The Gathering website attracts a certain type of people. It has a certain feeling to it. I don't think that it can maintain that feeling if it loses the focus. That's what worries me. I worry that it will fade out without a specific topic of interest, without one binding theme.

T

theorgg

Duel-- the one specific topic of interest will simply expand to all games. The fact that people will come here who simply love games for the sake of the game should revitalize the site with people, and hopefully keep this site's "coffiehouse" atmosphere in tact.