Upcoming Elections

T

train

I don't think Kerry/Edwards will win Florida...

I think a lot of thoughts have changed due to Charley...

C

conservative_infidel

You know how a dog raises its head up from a resting position when it senses a threat. When it looks around not sure if it will take a bite out of whatever it sees next, and then settles into an uneasy hypervigilance after its companion pats it on the head to calm down.

Well, that was my spouse ':mad:' and I ':eek:' when I told her this country was not ready to elect a woman President or someone of color for that matter. She nearly ripped my head off.

But yes, I agree with you Train. I think Florida might fall to the right this election. You say because of Charlie--perhaps so. I think disasters have a tendancy to remind people of their dependance on something (someone) other than the government.

T

train

The reason I say Charlie(ey?) is because of the quick response and planning...

This isn't a result of the Rep. party, so much as it was a result of prior experiences, but the leaders at the top of this specific execution of the plan just happen to be W's brother and friends...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It might not, depending on how the insurance game is played out. I just read an article in the Baltimore Sun where a "veteran" from Hurricane Isabel went down there to help them with their flood insurance claims because of the on-going problems still up here... it sounded like the insurance companies were doing the same thing down there. He even met with Jeb about it, but no further news...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I understand your question.... what do you mean "back one side over the other"? What are the "sides"?

T

train

I said votes would head the rep. party's way in FL because of their "response"...

you came back and said not sure - depends on how the insurance game plays out...

basically - if the insurance industry supports the dems, and is slow, people would think it the dem's fault and vote rep. and vice versa...

That's how I thought you were stating it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, I don't think that's what I meant. I think I was talking about the insurance at a federal level, so it wouldn't matter who's in power since they're disconnected. Voters might try to tie in the response with the current ruling power and switch allegencies though, but I think the number would be insignificant.

T

train

Gotcha...

Yeah - I was thinking lobbying groups, etc... like maybe the insurance companies supported one party or the other...