Upcoming Elections

M

mythosx

there are people more powerful than the president. just look at billy gates. Clinton had to go to court when summoned. Apparently, Billy can stall them indefinetly.

R

Reverend Love

Judges aren’t exactly slouches either.

The Supreme Justices hold their position unto death. In a democratic country that just doesn’t seem right

While lawyers get to tap dance on the constitution doing their greasy jig, Judges actually get to interpret the constitution along with the Bill of Rights...pretty big responsibility, along with granting unheard of sway over our society.

Then there's the whole presiding over the court gig they've got as well. Admitting/dismissing witnesses and evidence, leaning out punishment in small cases, and signing search warrants.

Judges have our civil liberties by the short hairs gentlemen. Lawyers receive all the glory if you can call it that, but judges are the Powha!

T

train

good illustration of my point...

no law passes if "judged" unlawful...

;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It does seem kind of strange but I believe the whole idea behind it is to separate them from the "politics" of having to re-run or make decisions so they'll be re-appointed when their term is up by whoever's in power at the time. Since their position is for life, they can make decisions however they want (and hopefully "right") and not bow to public pressure.

And they've done a fairly good job not to abuse that so far...

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by Reverend Love
The Supreme Justices hold their position unto death. In a democratic country that just doesn’t seem right.
The reasoning for that involves the fact that if a judge is only temporary, the interpretation of the constitution will vary much more, causing the Court to lose any and all efficacy that they had ever had.

T

train

the court had efficacy?...

The justices reserve the right to "retire" if they feel they can no longer serve this country with the best-intentioned decisions through the constitutuion and the bill of rights...

C

chocobo_cid

The Court, as a whole, has had much more efficacy than any elected official in the past decade.

R

Reverend Love

20-30 years of service maybe but life. My main grudge with this whole thing is that society's standards change. A good example would be of the argument against the DMCA and fair use. It's just hard for me to imagine someone who's probably as out of touch with today's issues as a 80 year old judge weighing in on issues that will radically effect our future.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Then they can revisit the decision and perhaps reverse it, if the occasion warrants. Happened with segregation and schooling and all that...

But my impression is that despite their age, they're not really "out of touch" with current events and they are thinking towards the future. But all they can really do is interpret the current law - if the future needs to be taken care of, the law should be handling it, not the court system.

C

chocobo_cid

Overall, the greatest virtue of the Court is its ability to ignore outside events and the fleeting changes in ideals among the American public. The interpertation of the Constitution does change, but it is best for it not to change at every whim of the People; instead, it is best for the court to serve in the best interests of the people.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Ransac/Monkey Campaign is going to give it another go.

Why support one of these old bastards when you could vote for the historically craziest member of the CPA and a primate as your presidential team. Together, we would fill the country of Iraq with parmesan! Ending all hunger in that country forever. But, my foreign aim doesn't just extend to the middle east. I would covered the entire country of France with limburger, so that they can know just how much we think they smell. The foreign import/export market is in dire straits! Therefore a small tax of five pounds of gouda will begin to all imports to this country.

What's that? You say we can't solve all of this country's problems with cheese?

*Ransac leans over to privately speak with Monkey. Monkey throws poo at Ransac.*

I'm sorry, but my running mate assures me that we can, and how could you say no to a monkey.

All kidding aside now(just so this post doesn't get deleted), I'm curious to see if any of the electoral college amendment bills will pass before the election.

Interesting fact #23432: If the 2000 election had been based off of district electoral votes(the winner of a district gets 1 vote) rather than the state electoral vote(the winner of a state gets the votes for all districts in that state), George W. Bush still would have won(288-250).

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac/Monkey 2004: Solving all of you problems.......

.....with cheese

Killer Joe

"John-John" wasn't that John Kennedy Jr.'s nickname as a boy?

Anyways. How about that Ron Reagan. He'll be speaking at the DEMOCRATS NC in a couple of weeks all in the name of stem-cell research. That's GOT to be a blow for the Republican's.

I am a registered Dem (Donkey/Ass/Whatever) but I'm no Left Wing Radical Liberal. I really liked Clinton and wished like crazy that Kerry would've pick Hillary to run with him. But that would've spelled disaster for Kerry.

They would've surely won but I can gaurantee that there would've been a massive blur in who would be running the country. She's one tough gal.

As for Bush, I voted for his Daddy way back in '88 because Dekaucis (sp?) sucked!

As for "W", he's not even close to being like Daddy. Just from a personality stand point Bush Sr. always spoke with a certain authority except for that classic line of his, "Read my lips, NO NEW TAXES". Now THAT was funny. And don't get me started on his VP Mr. PotatoE :D

Prediction: If the Kerry/Edwards can carry Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio then they will win.