Tribal Games Version 1 administration

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, like I said before, normally I don't have a problem with it. But on the other hand, we are playing a specific format and we've banned cards that are detrimental to the format. It just seems as we keep playing that combo decks are not really in the spirit of the "tribal" format as a kill method - it's really no longer tribal at that point.

I mean, we might as well allow the banned cards (and tribes) if it's gonna be "all-out" like that.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't see what the problem is.

Banning kills that aren't be combat damage seems silly. Can I Fireball you for 19 and then attack you with my Dauthi Marauder? If so, what's so wrong about attacking you, but then being unable to get past your blockers and still doing the last damage with a Prodigal Sorcerer? We could ban more cards or something, but there's always going to be some loophole to what someone thinks is "in the spirit of tribal."

Really, the last game was the only one where someone successfully ended the game with an infinite combo. And he was stopped, but we didn't go after him and he got it AGAIN on the next turn without using a ton of draw spells or anything. I don't think he got really lucky to pull it off, but it's not like he plowed right through the rest of us with his broken deck.

I don't see the infinite combo decks as being more competitive here. They have to play around 1/3 of the deck being creatures, which weakens combo decks.

If anything is broken in this environment, it would be the use of powerful cards that aren't banned, like Mishra's Workshop. And no one is doing that. The most broken card we've seen has probably been Necropotence. That was in highlander and the deck got slaughtered anyway.

We can change things up if we want. But please, let's not do some silly rule that specifies how you have to kill someone or some such thing. It's awkward, and whenever I've seen it done, people have always pushed the issue. For a while, I played at a store where they'd do tournaments with a "no kills until 5th turn" rule. People would play decks that virtually locked the game on turn 2 (no cards were banned or restricted) and then waited until turn 5 to go for the kill. Or there were decks that gained infinite life and played Yawgmoth's Bargain, then simply protected the Bargain until turn 5. I myself had an Academy deck that would (on turn 2 or 3) drop a ton of artifacts and lock the opponent down every turn during his upkeep with MoMa until I was allowed to kill him. It was dumb.

D

DarthFerret

Actually, the game before this one (Tribal 5) I ended it with an infinite combo as well. However, I am tending to be right in the middle on this one. If we could find a way to have a "gentlemen's rule" about infinite combos, then I think we would be fine. I disagree with going totally to "Tribal" kills only. Especially when we are getting to some pretty weak tribes, with the current banned list. On the other hand, I do think that the games would be a lot more fun if we did not have to worry about trying to save up to stop a "killer combo". The only course of action I see as feasable is to see if we cannot just agree to avoid the infinite loop kinda thing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> Well, from what I'm reading, no one really likes the idea or even wants to try it for a game. So be it. I guess Tribal 7 will be the same as other games then (well, obivously not Highlander).

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
Actually, the game before this one (Tribal 5) I ended it with an infinite combo as well. However, I am tending to be right in the middle on this one. If we could find a way to have a "gentlemen's rule" about infinite combos, then I think we would be fine. I disagree with going totally to "Tribal" kills only. Especially when we are getting to some pretty weak tribes, with the current banned list. On the other hand, I do think that the games would be a lot more fun if we did not have to worry about trying to save up to stop a "killer combo". The only course of action I see as feasable is to see if we cannot just agree to avoid the infinite loop kinda thing.
I agree!!!!

I will not play any infinite combos in the next game.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
See, I think having weaker tribes and depending on creature combat dmg for the win WOULD make for some interesting games, because there would be some more combat tricks. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Results of Game 7:

DarthFerret gets 1 Placement Point.
Oversoul gets 2 Placement Points and 1 Kill Point.
Spiderman gets 3 Placement Points.
Mooseman gets 4 Placement Points and 2 Kill Points

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Results of Game 8:

Oversoul gets 1 Placement Point.
Spiderman gets 2 Placement Points and 1 Kill Point.
Mooseman gets 3 Placement Points and 1 Kill Point.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Results of Game 9:

Mooseman gets 1 Placement Point.
BigBlue gets 2 Placement Points.
Oversoul gets 3 Placement Points.
Spidey gets 4 Placement Points and 3 Kill Points.

B

BigBlue

To recap game 10:

Spiderman (Scarecrows) - 0 kill pts and placed 4th total 3 pts
BigBlue (Avatars) - 4 kill pts (Oversoul, Spiderman, Mooseman, DarthFerret) and placed 1st total 10 pts
Modus Pwnens (Nightmares) - 0 kill pts and placed 6th total 1 pt
DarthFerret (Humans) - 1 kill pt (Modus) and placed 2nd total 6 pts
Oversoul (Crabs)- 0 kill pts and placed 5th total 2 pts
Mooseman (Horrors) - 0 kill pts and placed 3rd total 4 pts

Possible pts = 11?

B

BigBlue

I'm ready for tribal 12...

For Lucky # 13, how do folks feel about a battle of victorious tribes? Meaning you can only pick a tribe which you previously won with. If a player wants to play who didn't win, they could choose from the remaining unchosen winning tribes... this would mean we'd have to disclose our tribes, but that's not a big deal.