Tribal game 2

L

Limited

I am glad BigBlue spoke up, because I was getting the same feeling. Seeing an Earthcraft doesn't exactly ease my mind (so i was relieved when reading Oversouls reply).

I think Tribal decks should be about the tribe and not about a certain combo which happens to come with a bunch of chumpblockers.. I don't mean to attack you Oversoul, but last game was actually over when your combo went of and that pretty annoying if you see how much time it takes to play a couple of turns.

As for the card questions, I would have to say that the Wall is not a bird.. just like Snake Basket is not a Snake and Hermit Druid is not an Squirrel. On the other hand, I really like the Ancestors so I don't have a problem with it.
Mistform Ultimus seems like a weird trick, but this is 100% legal. It doesn't become a Bringer; it is a Bringer. It should have every creature type printed on it, but the font size would become too small (there is an 'official' version' somewhere on the MTG site)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Limited said:
I am glad BigBlue spoke up, because I was getting the same feeling. Seeing an Earthcraft doesn't exactly ease my mind (so i was relieved when reading Oversouls reply).
Well, I was trying not to give anything away in that post, but I guess I really don't mind. I'm probably going to be killed soon anyway, but we'll see...

The real powerhouse in this deck is Skullclamp. The idea was to use it with a bunch of soldiers and soldier token generators to draw ridiculous amounts of cards. Earthcraft really allows it to rip through the deck. The deck does have an infinite combo, but it's a clunky one and it's really only ever going to hit the board if I get really lucky or if my Skullclamp draws into it and the lot of you have too many blockers for me to plow through. It's looking like that would have been my plan (since pretty much all of you are in a relatively defensible position), but at this point I don't have white mana and I don't have Skullclamp so I'm not liking my own odds. If I'd thought people would be all, "Oh no, it's Earthcraft, which means infinite combos. Ugh, I hate infinite combos" I would have held off on playing it, since it isn't even helping me right now as I almost did (not because I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities about what a tribal game should be, but because if people think I'm on the verge of an infinite combo, they'll attack me and my only weapon right now is a Scepter).

Personally, I'd kill me if I were you. But I'd also kill Spiderman (his tribe is apparently bringers and none of those guys are anything but trouble) and Mythosx (we all know how his deck works). And you probably can't mount an offensive against all three of us... :p

Man, I wish I'd known about the Mistform Ultimus trick. I had a tribe I REALLY wanted to use, but couldn't reach the minimum. And no, I won't tell you what it is. I might try it next time.

M

mythosx

place holder post...sorry guys ive been real busy last couple of days. I will have a post up by tonight...

M

mythosx

Untap upkeep draw...

done :mad:

Spidey
Life: 19
Cards in Hand: 5
Cards in Library: 45
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains
(U) Llanowar Wastes (T: add 1 to my mana pool. T: add B or G to my mana pool and take 1 dmg)
(U) Shadowblood Ridge (1, T: Add BR to my mana pool).
(U) Mossfire Valley (1, T: Add RG to my mana pool)

(U) Bringer of the Blue Dawn (5/5, trample, at the beginning of my upkeep, I may draw 2 cards)
(U) Mistform Ultimus (3/3, is all creature types, even when not in play, ~ may attack as though not a Wall) (4/4 thanks to Balthor, and get's +1/+1 for each creature blocking it)

Graveyard: Polluted Delta, Sakura-Tribe Elder
RFG:

Oversoul
Life: 17
Cards in Hand: 6
Cards in Library: 48
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Isochron Scepter (U, imprinted with Raise the Alarm)
-Earthcraft
-Veteran Explorer (1/1, kill it please)
-3x (T, T, U) Soldier token, 1/1

Graveyard:
RFG: Raise the Alarm

BigBlue
Life: 20
Cards in Library: 52
Permanents:

(TTTT) Plainsx4

(U) Courier Hawk (1/2; Flying, Vigilance)
(U) Ageless Sentinels (4/4; Flying Wall; When ~ blocks, it becomes a Giant Bird permanently, and is no longer a wall.)
(S) Ageless Sentinels (4/4; Flying Wall; When ~ blocks, it becomes a Giant Bird permanently, and is no longer a wall.)

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Cards in Library: 130
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

(U) Spined Sliver (2/2; Whenever a Sliver becomes blocked, that Sliver gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each creature blocking it.)

Graveyard: Explosive Vegetation, Clot Sliver
RFG:

Limited
Cards in Library: 49
Permanents:

(TT) 2x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(U) Balthor the Stout
(T) Jeska, Warrior Adept (3/1, first strike, haste, T: 1 damage to target crit or player) (4/2 thanks to Balthor)

Graveyard: Undead Gladiator

L

Limited

Untap Upkeep

Pay B1, discard a card to return Undead Gladiator to my hand.. the card I discard is a Fiery Temper, so I'll pay R to deal three damage the the Spined Sliver..

Draw

Play Mountain

Attack Mythosx with Balthor (if you don't have any responses to my upkeep)

Spidey
Cards in Library: 45
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains
(U) Llanowar Wastes (T: add 1 to my mana pool. T: add B or G to my mana pool and take 1 dmg)

(U) Bringer of the Blue Dawn (5/5, trample, at the beginning of my upkeep, I may draw 2 cards)
(U) Mistform Ultimus (3/3, is all creature types, even when not in play, ~ may attack as though not a Wall) (4/4 thanks to Balthor, and get's +1/+1 for each creature blocking it)

RFG:

Oversoul
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Earthcraft

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Permanents:

(TTTT) Plainsx4

(U) Ageless Sentinels (4/4; Flying Wall; When ~ blocks, it becomes a Giant Bird permanently, and is no longer a wall.)
(S) Ageless Sentinels (4/4; Flying Wall; When ~ blocks, it becomes a Giant Bird permanently, and is no longer a wall.)

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Life: 18?
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

Graveyard: Explosive Vegetation, Clot Sliver, Spined Sliver
RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout
(U) Jeska, Warrior Adept (3/1, first strike, haste, T: 1 damage to target crit or player) (4/2 thanks to Balthor)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was also worried about Oversoul's Earthcraft, although it does seem you can draw into your combo since you just stated that Earthcraft and Skullclamp help you to "rip" through your deck :)

I think strictly speaking, the creatures that are 1/3 of the deck should explicitly be of the same creature type right off the bat, but seeing how BB's still in the spirit of tribal, I don't have a problem with his deck. Especially since we're already a couple of turns into the game :)

Waiting on any possible responses to Limited's upkeep play and him finishing his turn before taking mine.

B

BigBlue

I'm pretty sure your Upkeep will provoke a response, but I'm not sure it will come with playing a card or cards... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep - draw 2 cards, Draw, Karplusan Forest, Done.

Spidey
Cards in Hand: 7
Cards in Library: 42
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains
(U) Karplusan Forest (T: add 1 to my mana pool. T: add R or G to my mana pool and take 1 dmg)

RFG:

Oversoul
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Earthcraft

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Permanents:

(TTTT) Plainsx4

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout
(U) Jeska, Warrior Adept (3/1, first strike, haste, T: 1 damage to target crit or player) (4/2 thanks to Balthor)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
At the end of Spidey's turn, I'll tap my last two untapped creatures to untap my lands, then activate Isochron Scepter again for two more tokens.

*Hits the top of library*

Untap, upkeep, topdeck. Whew. I'll drop a Plains. I'll tap my two Forests to activate Isochron Scepter for two more tokens. I'll tap one of the tokens to uptap a Forest, then tap out to play Alaborn Musketeer and then tap two more tokens to play a second Alaborn Musketeer, then I'll tap one more token and play Alaborn Zealot. Done.

Spidey
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains
(U) Karplusan Forest (T: add 1 to my mana pool. T: add R or G to my mana pool and take 1 dmg)

RFG:

Oversoul
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (U, U)
-Earthcraft
-Veteran Explorer (U, 1/1, kill it please)
-5x (U, U, U, U, U) Soldier token, 1/1

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Permanents:

(TTTT) Plainsx4

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, can you edit your part of the stats to show your turn? I got confused with what's tapped and what's not.

B

BigBlue

Here here.... Please make sure your play area reflects what your play area should look like, it's hard enough playing without the cards in front of me, but when cards are in the wrong zone it just doesn't make any sense to me...

Limited, isn't your Gladiator in your hand? And fiery temper in your Graveyard?

L

Limited

I think this is it..

Spidey
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains

(U) Mistform Ultimus (3/3, is all creature types, even when not in play, ~ may attack as though not a Wall) (4/4 thanks to Balthor)

RFG:

Oversoul
Cards in Library: 47
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Plains (T)
-Isochron Scepter (T, imprinted with Raise the Alarm)
-Earthcraft
-7x (U, U, U, T T, T, T) Soldier token, 1/1
-2x (U) Alaborn Musketeer
-(U) Alaborn Zealot

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Permanents:

(TTTT) Plainsx4

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout

Graveyard: Fiery Temper

B

BigBlue

Thanks Limited, I think you are correct other than # of cards in his hand, I think it should be 4, not 6...

Untap, Draw, Play Soulcatcher, attack Spiderman for 1, Done after that.

Spidey
Life: 19 (18?)
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains

(U) Mistform Ultimus (3/3, is all creature types, even when not in play, ~ may attack as though not a Wall) (4/4 thanks to Balthor)

RFG:

Oversoul
Cards in Hand: 6 (4?)
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Plains (T)
-Earthcraft
-2x (U) Alaborn Musketeer (2/1; May block as though it has flying)
-(U) Alaborn Zealot (1/1; When ~this blocks, destroy it and the creature it blocked)

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Cards in Library: 51
Permanents:

(TTUU) Plainsx4

(U) Courier Hawk (1/2; Flying; Bird; Vigilance)
(S) Soulcatcher (1/1; Bird Soldier; Flying; Whenever a creature with flying goes to a GY, put a +1/+1 Counter on Soulcatcher) (0 counters)

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout

M

mythosx

EOT

Play a quick sliver

any responses before i take my turn?

Spidey
Life: 19 (18?)
Permanents:

(U) Forest
(U) Island
(U) Plains

RFG:

Oversoul
Cards in Hand: 6 (4?)
Permanents:
-Forestx2 (T, T)
-Plains (T)
-Earthcraft
-2x (U) Alaborn Musketeer (2/1; May block as though it has flying)
-(U) Alaborn Zealot (1/1; When ~this blocks, destroy it and the creature it blocked)

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Cards in Library: 51
Permanents:

(TTUU) Plainsx4

(U) Courier Hawk (1/2; Flying; Bird; Vigilance)
(S) Soulcatcher (1/1; Bird Soldier; Flying; Whenever a creature with flying goes to a GY, put a +1/+1 Counter on Soulcatcher) (0 counters)

Graveyard:
RFG:

Mythosx
Life: 18
Cards in Hand: 4
Permanents:

(U,U) Forest x2
(U) Mountain
(U) Swamp
(U) Plains
(U) Island

RFG:

Limited
Permanents:

(UUT) 3x Mountain
(T) Swamp
(T) Sulfurous Springs

(T) Balthor the Stout