This could get me in trouble...

R

Rando

...but who cares.

I love gamer chicks. There is just something about a lady that throws dice and flops cards and pilots an 85 ton battlemech, destroying everything in her path with ERPPC's blazing.
I even married one, athough I still have not gotten her to play a miniture war game,...yet.

I have been playing "gamer's games" for over ten years now, I still can't help but have an instant crush on a female that plays...anything: Magic, D&D, Warhammer et cetera. Maybe it's because there are so few that makes all of them seem more desirable. Maybe it's just the fact that I love games so much (and am heterosexual) that just it's common interest that attracts me.

Have any of the other "guys" here ever had an experience with such a woman? Most male Magic and D&D players I talk to have never dated a girl that was also a gamer, which can create some troubles.

Ladies too, for that mater. Although I imagine that it is easier for a Gaming Girl to find a Gaming Guy then vice versa in this wackey old mixed up world of ours...

(as always, please disregard all spelling errors)
jp

Killer Joe

We're not supposed to talk about male pigish things like this, especially since we're attracting so many more Females to this site. But, since you started it, I once met a woman at Centerfield Comics in Endicott, NY. I had no attraction toward her and she was about my age (38 yrs-really 35 at the time), but there was something cool in knowing that a female, at my age, was playing MTG.
BTW, she beat me silly with "Groundbreaker" (a pre-constructed deck from Exodus) in a Type 2 tourny, I was playing 5CG Tradewind-Geddon.

Also, I saw a sticker on a red hot sports car today that read:
"Girls Whip A--"

wud up wit dat?

D

Duel

I agree. Most of my friends are female, Accident of fate, and I think all but one or two are gamers. They all play either Magic or D&D and most play both and then some others. Why do I like girls who do this? gives me something to talk about, so I feel less nervous. Plus they get my references when I make bad jokes. Oh, and they tend not to be as formal, which I like. Just me? I doubt it.

P

Purple_jester

Hi, boys. My boyfriend loves gamer chicks, too. He has a thrill whenever he gets a female player for one of his RPG's, because in his own words:

(GUEST: Females have a different style than men. They have a perspective on situations that would make a lot of men go, "Eh?" It's an enriching experience, and it's helped me get more in touch with my feminine side. At the very least, I learn how to run female NPC's better. At worst, I have one thing in common with them that can bridge that gender gap which non-gamers find so difficult to handle.)

There. What he said. Lucky for me, he loves one PARTICULAR gamer chick a lot more than the others. ;)

(GUEST: Damn right I do. :))

D

DÛke

...I don't really like gamer chicks.
Not that there's anything wrong with them (just look at Purple Girl:)), but, when I go out with a girl, I don't want her to share my interests. Of course, she could have something in common with me, but not something as drastic (yes, drastic:)) as Trading Card Games. The reason for my opinion really is simple: I want a girl who likes different stuff than I do. How about a girl who likes shopping, for cloths or something, NOT Magic cards :), or how about a girl who likes movies? Or, a girl who likes to work and get money for it? ANYTHING, but a girl that plays Magic.

I've had 5 girlfriends in my life time so far, and not one of them was ever interested in Magic, and even more, any TCG. I find a girl who plays Magic really unique and different than all the other girls, but, I also find a person who plays Magic is a unique person too. I play Magic, and I consider myself unique. I don't want a girl who is 'unique' the same way I'm 'unique' because that wouldn't really be called 'unique':).

I like all girls and women, but when it comes to more personalized stuff, I enjoy girls who have different interests than I do.
It gives me more and different stuff to talk about...

I do Magic talk all day long, so I really wouldn't like it if I had to sit down with my girlfriend and discuss Yawgmoth's Bargain with her...That would suck big time...and I mean, it WILL suck...

D

Duel

there is a problem with dating someone you play magic with.
Channel/fireball= end of relationship...

T

Thrash Golem

I know this one chick, who's like kind of a gamer she likes FF7 and rpg's and stuff.. and she's not 400 lbs with a giant 9 pound nose and 3 boobs or like bald or acne-ridden or anything

G

Gizmo

As a single guy (and looking very hard for somebody) you just know that finding a girl who understands the stuff you do for a hobby is gonna save SOOOOO many arguments down the line. It`s just sensible, and it`s also a pretty good sign that you`ve got some things in common as well.
Natural, innit?

I agree with Duke`s point about getting different sorts of people to yourself, but having a gaming girl beats the hell out of slouching on the couch and watching TV together.

I would guess.
:(

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

post subject line.

First: Duke, what your saying just isn't making any sense to me. Why wouldn't you want a gaming girl? Sounds like you hold CCG's and other games higher than women. But hey, thats you.

Second: Thrash, that was a horrible thing to say. The few girl gamers I've met we're never what the general population thought all gamers are like: Overweight, ugly teens who think of nothing but their respective games. I do however know a few guys like that.

Third: I don't see why it would be a bad thing to date a gaming girl. It gives you a common interest, and I doubt that it is all you would ever talk about. Plus, you'll find other things you like doing togather so that your not always playing with each other(pun intended).

A

Apollo

Pie-Eater: I think Thrash was saying that the stereotype is not true. He was saying the same thing you did.

As for gamer chicks, well, if I ever meet one I'll let you know how I feel about them.

D

DÛke

...Pie Eater.

Pie Eater:
First: Duke, what your saying just isn't making any sense to me. Why wouldn't you want a gaming girl? Sounds like you hold CCG's and other games higher than women. But hey, thats you.
Your statement is totally off of what I am.
Why wouldn't I want a gaming girl? Well, did you read what I said?
I don't want a girl who plays Magic, yes, other TCG's yes, but Magic, NO. I want a girl who could bring something new to my life, not something I already know, like Magic. I don't hold CCG's and other games higher than women, but, I hold women higher than CCG's and all that crap. Now, I could teach the girl Magic, but, she can't just come into my life knowing it already. I want some interest that I could offer her, not an interest that she's already interested in. I think YOU hold CCG's higher than women and that's because you can't live without a women not playing Magic or CCG's, well guess what, you are missing a lot, because there are more hot girls not playing Magic or CCG's than those who ARE playing Magic and so on...

Gizmo:
As a single guy (and looking very hard for somebody) you just know that finding a girl who understands the stuff you do for a hobby is gonna save SOOOOO many arguments down the line. It`s just sensible, and it`s also a pretty good sign that you`ve got some things in common as well.
Natural, innit?
See, THIS makes more sense than what Pie Eater said. Sure, it is good to have something in common and all, but, if Magic is the only thing you're looking to be "in common" than that's not fair for all the other girls. Give non-CCGs girls a chance, hey, they don't play CCG's but the play well on the other side :)...

[Edited by DÛke on August 26th, 2000 at 10:24 PM]

D

Duel

I know several girls who are gamers, and they range widely:
the best examples are the three elizabeths I know:

Elizabeth 1 (Lizzy) is a typical gamer chick, in how they're stereotyped. she wears generic clothes, except for her t-shirt which has a D&D thing on it or something fo the sort. She's slightly overweight, though not much, and very intelligent, with a slightly caustic sense of humor.

Elizabeth 2 (Elizabeth) is not a typical gamer chick. She is not a pop icon girl, but she does have the body for it, shoudl she choose to be. She has a softish voice, tends to blush alot, and is very smart, though she doesn't talk much.

Elizabeth 3 (Liz) is a political activist kinda person. She's always politically correct and is a vegiterian and makes her own pasta and that kind of thing. She's outspoken and loud, but not in the way that one usually thinks gamer chicks are. She just knows what she believes.

and these aren just three of them!

A

Almindhra

Duke...So in other words you want a flake that enjoys shopping at the Gap and listening to her Backstreet Boys cd...How lame...

Anyways...I'm a gamer chick...And I'm proud of it...My friends think I'm a little bit weird, talking about cards at the lunch table and how bad I did at my last tournament, but I find that funny...When I was little, I used to play RPG games...And read fantasy books...But then, the Beast came and took over my life for part of my middle school and all my high school years...Music...So everything stopped for it...Its true...My grades were even crappier than they should have been...( I was an honor student, but I know I could have done better )...

So anyways, my point is, when I started dating my boyfriend 2.5 years ago, he introduced to me to gaming...Magic and D&D...Along the way we've picked up games together...And its great...It truly is...We have something in common...Something we can both enjoy...And all we do is gaming...Its out commonality...Other than that I have my music and he has his math ( eek! )...

I'm sure the guys here who have wives of girlfriends who aren't gamers feel a strain on their relationship...Women don't like when their guys are "wasting" money on "stupid pieces of paper"...

Z

Zadok001

Damnit, Duel! :) It doesn't help that the Elizabeth _I_ know goes by Elizabeth, Liz, or Lizzy! Which one of those is supposed to be her???

Anyways, Gamer girls... Well, I can count myself as knowing-

Off the top of my head, from inside my school. Personally, I find it's nice to be friends with people who share some interests with you (duh). Almost all of my closest friends play games constantly, ranging from pool to Magic to Pente to Starcraft to Final Fantasy. It doesn't really matter to me _what_ games someone plays, there's something about gaming in general that creates a common bond between people. Perhaps it's something in being in the stale air of a room without ventilation for twelve hours straight that goes to the head.

Whatever it is, it's important. :) He who plays games is far more likely to get to know me well. If some random guy walks up to me and starts talking about music or skating, chances are I'm gonna ditch the general vicinity at the first oppertunity. But if the same guy walks up and says something regarding Chess... :) I'll stick around.

Whether said person is male or female is really irrelevant. I've noticed a lot of the females in the CPA getting a ton of notice from the rest of our members. :) *Hint hint* I admit that I contribute to this, but I really do my best to just act the same as with any male member. After all, we're all screennames here. I'm happy just knowing I have friends in the CPA. I could care less whether my friends are male or female.

Of course, if a girl walks up to my play group's Magic table, she's likely to get some stares... :) I think we've scared off more than one in the past. Fortunately not my girlfriend... Yet.

"... to what end, he said, do we have our minds, if not to know?"

D

DÛke

...you are very closed minded...
You think that if a girl doesn't play Magic, than she has to have nothing but enjoy shopping and listen to stupid pop music?
You are so dull, and, not to mention, wrong.

You want to hear lame? Here:
You go out with your boyfriend, but instead of going to a movie, you go to the Magic store, and play Magic there. Instead of going over friends house or partying, you go to over friends house and play a nice casual game of Magic, eventually, your fun will be Magic. How 'lame' is that? You tell me Almindhra since your the expert on the lameness...

Suppose that you people don't play Magic, then, what would be another common interest? Well, I'll leave it up to you...
Magic isn't and will never be the only common interest a relation could have. If you base your relationship on Magic, then, good for you.

My current girlfriend; she enjoys movies, shopping(I didn't know this was a crime, but according to Almindhra...:)), and she has something she calls a "job", she earns money, she hangs out with friends, she has 2 cars, and I like her, and she likes me. She doesn't play Magic, and I tried showing her, but she didn't like it, which is fine with me, that just means she's different than me.
And Almindhra, my girlfriend doesn't mind me wasting my g's on Magic, just like I don't mind her wasting her money on cloths and shopping. It's called "you work out the relationship".

I don't like gamer girls mostly because of girls like Almindhra, who doesn't really act very girly all the time, now, if you ask me if I want a girl like Purple_Girl, now, that would be different, or even, more freaky, a girl like SadistAngel, that would be neat.
See those girls are into Magic, but I like them. Almindhra, on the other, while I like her, she doesn't really impress me and I don't want her to.

T

theorgg

Originally posted by DÛke
...you are very closed minded...
You think that if a girl doesn't play Magic, than she has to have nothing but enjoy shopping and listen to stupid pop music?
Hmmm... DÛke, are we being hypocritical? :O

D

DÛke

...I'm being me...

I never said I liked pop, but I did say I have nothing against it, meaning, nothing against people who listen to it, meaning, I don't go around calling people stupid because they listen to pop.

I, listen to 1 or 2 pop songs.
Pop is still stupid and meaningless, but, that doesn't mean it's fan are.

You seem to have misunderstood me Orgg.

N

Neo_Keo

People people people..........

...... lets remeber that we are all Friends here :) (I hope)

Everyone has a different idea of what there Girlfriend or Boyfriend should be like. Thats why individuality is so nice ( did I spell that right ).

I myself would love to have a girlfriend who plays games. At least it wouldn't be realy hard to buy her gifts.

Magic is a hobbie, a fun game for friends to play, etc...................

And does it realy matter if your gf or bf doesn't play magic. I don't think opposites atract I think there souls atract. Remeber just have fun. " Try stand ing in

[Edited by Neo_Keo on August 27th, 2000 at 12:51 AM]

A

Almindhra

From Duke...
How about a girl who likes shopping, for cloths or something, NOT Magic cards , or how about a girl who likes movies? Or, a girl who likes to work and get money for it? ANYTHING, but a girl that plays Magic.
Along with the quote Orgg has from you...You want a girl like that, and I said it sounds flakey to me...Doesn't it to anyone else?...

You Duke, are stupid, I'm sorry...Why would you put down my bf and I playing Magic and games?...This is a Magic website, ya doink...Why would you pick on gamers?...Why would you call going to tournaments and playing Magic lame?...Thats kind of offensive to everyone here at the CPA...

I'm dull?...Why is that exactly?...I don't quite understand what you're getting at here...Because I'm a gamer?...

And why are you saying "It's called "you work out the relationship"."...I know I have a more stable relationship than you have...We have a friendship...Even if we weren't dating, we would be friends, we have many things besides gaming in common...And I highly doubt you could say that about you and yours...But I don't even want to get into your relationship...

And who said I had to be "girly"?...What is girly?...I'm not allowed to just "hang with the guys"?...I don't put smilies in my posts...I don't use the word *huggles*?...Who cares...You shouldn't even care anyways if I'm female on these boards...The only time it comes into play is on some thread like this...

And I know this seems like a personal battle between me and Duke...But I really think this is kind of a slap in the face to all us gamers out there...

A

Apollo

Amen, Neo!

The part about the gifts cracked me up :)

I think it's just a difference in opinion. If everyone had the same idea of what their gf/bf would be like, one person would be swamped and everyone else would be very lonely. I think what DUke said just came out wrong, and I say let it go. Who cares if he doesn't want a gf that games? That's his choice. Me, I think it sounds cool. It's just our opinion.